Teryx4?
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Teryx4?

This is a discussion on Teryx4? within the RZR-4 Discussions forums, part of the Polaris RZR Forums category; Has anyone tried a teryx4 eps? I'm looking into a used '14 rzr 4 800 eps but found a dealer selling a new hold over ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jmarco89
  • 1 Post By 15Ranger8006x6
  • 1 Post By ChrisH

Thread: Teryx4?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Teryx4?

Has anyone tried a teryx4 eps? I'm looking into a used '14 rzr 4 800 eps but found a dealer selling a new hold over '14 teryx4 eps for basically the same money. I had a 750 teryx in '10 and found it very hot and loud, and I did have trouble with the diff lock.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    503 times
    Goooood Bye Polaris, Hello Kawi...
    He just traded his midsize for one. I've rode in them before. The cab noise is a little much for me but others are fine with it.
    mustangwagz likes this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    172 times
    I traded a 2014 Teryx4 800 for a 2015 Ranger 900.

The Teryx had good power. The power felt similar to a pre-2015 Ranger 900 that was rated at 60HP. The Teryx4 800 was very comfortable for 4 big adults, and the maneuverability was great for such a vehicle. I found the clutching to be good. The newer Teryx 800 machines share little in common with your older 750. The clutching in the new Teryx4 machines uses a constant tension CVT with an oil bathed centrifugal clutch (think Yamaha Rhino 700 and Grizzly 700 type CVT). Belt life is very good; however, you must be sure to use the proper motorcycle MA rated engine oils to ensure the centrifugal clutch operates properly.

The Teryx4 800 has excellent build quality with superb fit and finish. Nothing feels cheap. The differentials, axles, and driveline are very beefy. You can run these machines hard and not worry about breaking them. The air intake is very high; it's under the front dash panel behind the instrument cluster. The CVT intake and exhaust vents are located under the center console. The machine is put together well. It's designed to last.

The only down-sides to the Teryx4 800 are the rough ride and the high interior noise.

The FOX Podium shocks are a major let down. With only 8" of suspension travel, they are not only short legged, but the spring and valving are among the worst in the UTV industry. It rides like a dump truck. Even with the suspension set soft on the preload and with the compression adjustment, the Teryx rides rough. Put a set of aftermarket tires and/or a 2" lift and it rides even rougher.

The other down-side to the Teryx4 800 is the how loud it is to ride inside. It's deafening at anything too much over an idle. Strangely, the machine idles quiet, so just cranking one up in a parking lot hides a nasty truth. Once you get in it and go rip down some trails the noise drowns out everything. Forget about holding a conversation with the front seat passenger. The rear seat passengers might hear you if you look them in the eye and scream...maybe. Get this machine in some soft sand where you need to use a lot of engine power and it really gets loud. The noise isn't the exhaust, it's mechanical noise. The drivetrain is the major contributor to the Teryx's loud interior. Some people put sound absorbing mat under the center console but nothing really helps very much.

Overall, the Teryx4 800 is a good machine with only two significant flaws. The power is good and feels snappy, especially in the low and mid range power. The machine is also low maintenance. If you want to get a machine to run hard and put away wet and not spend much time wrenching, the Teryx4 800 will not disappoint. But if you require a plush and quiet ride, the Teryx4 800 will leave you wanting a few more creature comforts.

Here is a pic of the Teryx I traded:

2015 Polaris Ranger 900 EPS

Past Rides:
    2014 Kawasaki Teryx 4 800 LE
    2011 Yamaha Rhino 700 Sport

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

(WagZ) Retired Moderator mustangwagz's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    725 times
    Chris you thought the ride sucked? Compared to my ranger the ride is WAAYYYY better. way way waayyy better. JMO though. haha. shoulda switched to a T4 years ago, however back then the ride may not have been as good?
    -WagZ-

Polaris Mechanic,
    Teryx4 owner/operator

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member 15Ranger8006x6's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I traded a 2014 Teryx4 800 for a 2015 Ranger 900.

The Teryx had good power. The power felt similar to a pre-2015 Ranger 900 that was rated at 60HP. The Teryx4 800 was very comfortable for 4 big adults, and the maneuverability was great for such a vehicle. I found the clutching to be good. The newer Teryx 800 machines share little in common with your older 750. The clutching in the new Teryx4 machines uses a constant tension CVT with an oil bathed centrifugal clutch (think Yamaha Rhino 700 and Grizzly 700 type CVT). Belt life is very good; however, you must be sure to use the proper motorcycle MA rated engine oils to ensure the centrifugal clutch operates properly.

The Teryx4 800 has excellent build quality with superb fit and finish. Nothing feels cheap. The differentials, axles, and driveline are very beefy. You can run these machines hard and not worry about breaking them. The air intake is very high; it's under the front dash panel behind the instrument cluster. The CVT intake and exhaust vents are located under the center console. The machine is put together well. It's designed to last.

The only down-sides to the Teryx4 800 are the rough ride and the high interior noise.

The FOX Podium shocks are a major let down. With only 8" of suspension travel, they are not only short legged, but the spring and valving are among the worst in the UTV industry. It rides like a dump truck. Even with the suspension set soft on the preload and with the compression adjustment, the Teryx rides rough. Put a set of aftermarket tires and/or a 2" lift and it rides even rougher.

The other down-side to the Teryx4 800 is the how loud it is to ride inside. It's deafening at anything too much over an idle. Strangely, the machine idles quiet, so just cranking one up in a parking lot hides a nasty truth. Once you get in it and go rip down some trails the noise drowns out everything. Forget about holding a conversation with the front seat passenger. The rear seat passengers might hear you if you look them in the eye and scream...maybe. Get this machine in some soft sand where you need to use a lot of engine power and it really gets loud. The noise isn't the exhaust, it's mechanical noise. The drivetrain is the major contributor to the Teryx's loud interior. Some people put sound absorbing mat under the center console but nothing really helps very much.

Overall, the Teryx4 800 is a good machine with only two significant flaws. The power is good and feels snappy, especially in the low and mid range power. The machine is also low maintenance. If you want to get a machine to run hard and put away wet and not spend much time wrenching, the Teryx4 800 will not disappoint. But if you require a plush and quiet ride, the Teryx4 800 will leave you wanting a few more creature comforts.

Here is a pic of the Teryx I traded:

The noise you describe sounds like the Can Am Commander to a T. The ride is similar also.
    mustangwagz likes this.
    2015 Ranger800 6x6

Polaris steel cab w/wipers
    Polaris 4500 winch
    Polaris brush guard
    Polaris shift handle w/winch controls
    MMA 2.5" lift in front
    Heavy duty front springs
    Eagle 72" snow plow
    LED front, rear and side flood lights
    LED inside cab light
    LED amber strobe roof light bar

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    172 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
    Chris you thought the ride sucked? Compared to my ranger the ride is WAAYYYY better. way way waayyy better. JMO though. haha. shoulda switched to a T4 years ago, however back then the ride may not have been as good?
    I really like your 2016 Teryx4! I think the body style changed for the better. Also, Kawasaki supposedly revised the valving in the FOX shocks for 2016. I hear this greatly improved the ride over the 2014-2015 model years.
    mustangwagz likes this.
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900 EPS

Past Rides:
    2014 Kawasaki Teryx 4 800 LE
    2011 Yamaha Rhino 700 Sport

(WagZ) Retired Moderator mustangwagz's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    725 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I really like your 2016 Teryx4! I think the body style changed for the better. Also, Kawasaki supposedly revised the valving in the FOX shocks for 2016. I hear this greatly improved the ride over the 2014-2015 model years.
    Ahh, that sounds better...i thought maybe i was just dumb or something. lol Im telling ya, its like night and day. We love this thing!
    -WagZ-

Polaris Mechanic,
    Teryx4 owner/operator

Sponsored Links