Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

400 Starting Problems or just me?

This is a discussion on 400 Starting Problems or just me? within the Mid-Size Rangers forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; Hi my new 400 has difficulties starting sometimes. On rare occasions when it has been setting 7 cranks for it to finally get going. It's ...

Thread: 400 Starting Problems or just me?

(Bill) Starting Member SoonerWil's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

Hi my new 400 has difficulties starting sometimes. On rare occasions when it has been setting 7 cranks for it to finally get going. It's only a week old I am making the assumption that the battery was sitting around the dealer for a while and that it is the source of my woes. Also, any tips on starting these things I know you go from start to battery but how long should it take to finally turn over. Appreciate any and all comments.
    SoonerWiL

2011 Polaris Ranger 400 Camo

O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A

Our chant rolls on and on! Thousands strong Join heart and song In Alma maters praise.
    Of campus beautiful by day and night.
    Of colors proudly gleaming Red and White
    'Neath a western sky" OU's chant will never die.
    Live on University!

(douglas) Veteran Member doug63's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    when it is cold use some choke. let the fuel pump run 2 or 3 seconds to get fuel to the carb. when you crank give it 1/2 throttle. when it is warm out or the eng is warm don't use choke but DO give it 1/2 throttle. If it was your battery you woulden't be able to crank it 7 times. doug

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    First off, I am assuming you have the carbed 400 HO. Normally the cold starting is VERY good, but this has been a bit of an issue with the carbed 400 when the engine is warm. Some say it is a slight jetting issue and others seem to think it is caused by the long restricive intake setup! Since the wifeys Sportsman 400 HO has the same engine and starts flawlessly in all temps, warm or cold, the intake seems to make sense to me.
    The 400 runs so good other then this that most just give it a little gas when cranking the warm engine and don't worry about it, but if you are having this much problem with a new machine, I would definately take it back to the dealer so they can make it right!
    Keep us up to date!
    Cheers!

2014 RANGER 570 EFI

Polaris steel cab doors and rear panel
    split folding windshield
    custom roof
    Maxxis Bighorn 2.0s
    ITP SS212 wheels
    4500# Viper Max winch
    40" LED light bar and LED work light
    66" American Eagle Snowplow

Destroyed by fire
    2011 Ranger 400 HO w/2" lift & Rhino axles
    Polaris roof, two-piece folding windshield, back panel, 1/2 windshield, custom box rack, custom snorkle system, RZR bucket seats, custom center console, Viper Max 4500# winch, relocated deep cycle battery, LED cab lite, Pioneer stereo, ITP 212 rims and Swamplite tires, clutch spacer mod, Blazer Flood lites, 66" American Eagle snowplow

(Bill) Starting Member SoonerWil's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Ok thanks for all the help. I'll try working the pedal a bit I just was a little concerned as I am in the infancy stage of the vehicle.
    SoonerWiL

2011 Polaris Ranger 400 Camo

O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A

Our chant rolls on and on! Thousands strong Join heart and song In Alma maters praise.
    Of campus beautiful by day and night.
    Of colors proudly gleaming Red and White
    'Neath a western sky" OU's chant will never die.
    Live on University!

Member #
    Member #
    I've only had mine for about a week so might not be much help. I haven't figured out the proper start procedure either. I usually just give it a little gas while starting, maybe 1/8th throttle, but that doesn't work every time. I'm moving from a '95 400 2 stroke so I understand some machines just have a specific way they like to start.
    Edit; Just thought I would update...if I turn the key to On for about 5 secs until the fuel pump stops, it starts quickly with no throttle input, cold or hot.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    may have stumbled on to something here recently...I have had this starting issue for some time now and it seemed to improve some when i installed my snorkle setup, but i would still experience somewhat prolonged cranking when hot and recently a bit harder starting initially! I even experienced the Ranger dieing unexpectedly on the trail a couple times! It always restarted and never stranded me, but just a bit annoying! I had also been running into the battery being dead a couple times when it sat for a while...I had come to the conclusion that i had a minor dead short some where in the electical accessories I had installed and was in the process of tracking it down when i determined that the actual problem was the deep cycle replacement battery I was using! Turns out the battery had a dead cell and was only taking a partial charge at best!
    After replacing the battery I am AMAZED at how much better this thing starts!!! It pops off IMMEDIATELY!
    If your having to crank a while, you may want to check your battery, it sure fixed my problem!
    best part is the battery was under full warrenty so it was a free fix!!!

Cheers

2014 RANGER 570 EFI

Polaris steel cab doors and rear panel
    split folding windshield
    custom roof
    Maxxis Bighorn 2.0s
    ITP SS212 wheels
    4500# Viper Max winch
    40" LED light bar and LED work light
    66" American Eagle Snowplow

Destroyed by fire
    2011 Ranger 400 HO w/2" lift & Rhino axles
    Polaris roof, two-piece folding windshield, back panel, 1/2 windshield, custom box rack, custom snorkle system, RZR bucket seats, custom center console, Viper Max 4500# winch, relocated deep cycle battery, LED cab lite, Pioneer stereo, ITP 212 rims and Swamplite tires, clutch spacer mod, Blazer Flood lites, 66" American Eagle snowplow

(Brett) Starting Member trafdeputy's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

I had same issues so my local polaris mechanic simply told me to turn the key on, pump the pedal a few times and it should crank. Voila', that was it. Cranks every time.

(The+Fallen) Veteran Member camoranger400's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I turned my idle up, I don't have a tach so I can't tell what it is idling at but I do know it now starts up without choke or throttle when cold.
    When it has warmed up I give it a little throttle and it works perfectly, I also installed a bigger battery I bought from tractor supply that I mounted under the hood to give it a much better cranking power, works sweet and only cost me 35 bucks on sale of course.

(Ron) Starting Member Ron Dodds's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    I install a vapor dash in mine and love it RPM, temp, distance,and speed all in one there are pics i posted in test area if you want to check them out.
    Ron

Links