Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

400 vs 500 efi and cost

This is a discussion on 400 vs 500 efi and cost within the Mid-Size Rangers forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; New to utv. Got 25 acres and looking to buy either the 400 or 500 efi. Rather go with 400 as I'm just using it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 400 vs 500 efi and cost

(czdaryle) Starting Member czdaryle's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

400 vs 500 efi and cost

New to utv. Got 25 acres and looking to buy either the 400 or 500 efi. Rather go with 400 as I'm just using it around cottage trails and work. Is efi worth the extra 1000. Also should I expect to pay the full 8200 for the 400 or should I find a dealer that would go lower...thanks

Supporting Member
    (Forde) Supporting Member fswan's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Welcome to PRC!! Can't give you a comparison between the 400 and 500 but the price seems to be in the ball park. See if you can hold out for some extras or at least a discount on them. If your dealer doesn't offer any, give Chris a call at Ball Equipment ( http://www.prcforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=44883 ), he will!!
    Forde

Everything happens for a reason and that reason is usually physics.

'11 800 XP - Viper Elite 4000 - EZTSK Turn Signals - Overhead Gun Rack - Backup LED - Dual Lock 'n Ride Storage Bins - Odyssey Aux 925L Battery on 1314 - H.I.D.'s - 30" LED Front, 10" LED Rear - Diamond Plate Floor Boards - Rear View Mirror w/Compass, Temp & Map Lites - 26" Bighorns - Front & Back BA arched A-Arms - Half Folding Windshield - DiamondBack Roof - Foot Saver - Dash Kit - UHMW Skids - Prolockers

'13 RZR 900xp EPS - Medical Insurance

(Jake) Regular Member ratmanz13's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    I've got the 400 and it's been pretty good to me, I kind of wish I had the 500 for easier starting in the cold weather.. but It seems like the 500's are a little more fussy when it comes to mud finding it's way into your fuel tank.... and more expensive to repair.
    2010 Ranger 400: Mile Marker 3500Lb winch, Moose RM4 Plow, Polaris Econo Roof and Windshield, Tommy-Topper Doors, EMP AFT-Bulkhead and window, AGM Battery, K&N Air Filter, Dual 50w Roof Lights, Multi-Point LED Interior lighting, and 10w LED back-up light.

(Bernie) Starting Member sabercat's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    I like the efi, whether a utv, snowmobile etc. I own both and the efi ones start right up, without having to do anything for the most part. I summer/winterize everything also. No more carbs for me, unless its on the vintage race sleds, LOL
    Bernie

Member #
    Member #

500 EFI better for cold-weather starts.

cz, welcome to the forum! I see you are in Buffalo. I live in Eagle River, Alaska and used to fly into Buffalo frequently for FedEx before moving up to international routes. As I recall, Buffalo speaks COLD. For most things I think you would find the 400 a great machine, but I stepped up to the 500 EFI primarily for cold-weather starting reliability. I can already tell you after only having plowed the snow off the driveway four times this year that it is worth it, at least up here!

I also added a heat patch under the engine for extreme cold and bought a battery-minder. Many owners install a second battery for reliability, especially when running lights, winch and heater, but I haven't had any trouble with just the stock battery and the charger/minder.

My 2011 500 EFI with the 60" Polaris Glacier plow mounted.

Towing a spreader loaded with pea-gravel. The heated cab is so nice!

Ron
    Eagle River, Alaska * 2011 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI
    Polaris plexi windshield, soft cab, heater, 3500# winch, 60" Glacier steel plow and 66" Sno-Glide plow

Member #
    Member #
    Thanks for input....yea my only issue is I don't need the 500cc or anything else on the 500 besides the efi, and 1000 is alot to spend for it...decisions decisions. Have till spring to decide

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I had the same thoughts in buying my 400. The 400 has more than enough power and I didn't need the gauges. It gets down to 0 here on a regular basis during the winter and it has already been down to the 20's this year. I find myself having to stand by it and adjusting the choke as it is warming up. I would still buy my 400 again today, but if I lived in a colder area I would consider getting a 500 EFI. Some days I think it would be nice just to start it and let it warm up by itself. Anything below 30 and mine is cold blooded!
    Just my experience,
    Brian

Member #
    Member #
    Yea...I would be putting it away for the winter as I would use it at my summer cottage...man I wish it was only 500 dif..make decision a lot easier

(Michael) Veteran Member mike57's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Are you every going to be riding in high/low elevation? That is one of the main reasons we went with the 500 since the rides we go on have very large elevation differences. Plus... the gauges are nice to have even though they aren't a must have.

If yours will spend most of it's life at one elevation then you are probably ok with the 400.
    "In HIM... All Things Are Possible"

2012 Ranger Rzr XP 900
    2011 Ranger 500 EFI.

Member #
    Member #

Put it away for winter??? ;)

cz, mine is mainly FOR winter, although I plan to use it a lot in the summer, too, just for different purposes. My wife was OK with the Ranger when I bought it, but now she is SOLD on it. She woke up last Sunday to 6 inches of snow, and me on a trip in Asia. In the past that would have meant an hour trudging behind the snow-blower to clear the driveway, and another 45 minutes to get cooled down, cleaned up and re-dressed for church. Well, this time she got up at her normal hour, got dressed and ready to go, and plowed the driveway in the heated cab of the Ranger. What a difference! No muss, no fuss, 20 minutes of work and her hair and makeup were still in place when she parked the Ranger and got in the car.

Whichever Ranger you pick, you will find it a wonderful machine. Enjoy!

Ron
    Eagle River, Alaska * 2011 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI
    Polaris plexi windshield, soft cab, heater, 3500# winch, 60" Glacier steel plow and 66" Sno-Glide plow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links