Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Homemade cab for the 500

This is a discussion on Homemade cab for the 500 within the Mid-Size Rangers forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; I made the cab for the 500 kinda copied the one I made for my 700 The roof and back panel are swatter canvas the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade cab for the 500

(Larry) Veteran Member mudholehater's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Homemade cab for the 500

I made the cab for the 500 kinda copied the one I made for my 700 The roof and back panel are swatter canvas the rear sliding window is out of a Ford Ranger LOL the front window is laminate [safety glass[ and it tips out [opens] at the bottom. The doors will get made in the the fall or when time allows.

11 500 EFI Sunset Red

Supporting Member
    (Tom) Supporting Member wirenut's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    That looks good ,i really like you can open and close the back as you want/need good job

Member #
    Member #
    Looks nice. Can't wait to see the doors. Like your front mud flap/fender extenders on the new ride too.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ---
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 2011 Crew 800 EPS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(Vance) Starting Member PaprHead's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Nice job on the cab work!!!

What are your thoughts on the capability of the 500 vs your 700? I am still debating whether to get a 500 or an 800.

Thanks

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PaprHead

What are your thoughts on the capability of the 500 vs your 700? I am still debating whether to get a 500 or an 800.

Thanks
    I actually like the 500 Its IMO a lot easier to handle and drive around.We were out on a ride and there was one area that we couldn't get thru with the 700 it was to wide.It'll do all that the 700 will do.Its a lot more peppier then then 700 as well.Top end is close enough to the 700 to be of no concern to me.In another words I like it.I'am kinda hoping that my next will be a Diesel,as long as they make them with a bit better top end speed.Larry
    11 500 EFI Sunset Red

Member #
    Member #
    Larry, How did you go about mounting the rear winch, I have been trying to figure something out myself but am not satisfied with anything yet.
    2011 500 Crew, Soft Top, Warn 3500lb winch, Full windshield, Polaris Rear Bumper, MotoAlliance 72" county plow, Cedar stakesides,SATV 2" lift...

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zukdad
    Larry, How did you go about mounting the rear winch, I have been trying to figure something out myself but am not satisfied with anything yet.
    The winch can also be used on the front as well,if you look on the front bumper you'll see that I've made a reciever on the front that the winch can be used in.I'll try and take a pic of the winch mount that I made so that I can use the winch either in the front or the back reciever.Without pics the best I can describe the mount is that it sort of looks like a h laying on its side with the one that goes into the reciever long so that the end that sticks out can be used as a hitch towing a trailer.The upper one is the short one so it doesn't interfer with a trailer.I made it so that the winch sits a bit higher to try and keep it out of snow/mud/water etc. The only downfall to how I have it made is that when its on the front I can't open the hood unless I take the winch off.The 500 isn't home at this time so I can't take any pics of it,I'll try and get you some pics when It's at home.
    11 500 EFI Sunset Red

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Started doors build

I started building the doors.I had to make a door post first to beable to mount the hinges to and of course the front part of the door that mounts to the door post and hinge.I kinda wanted to follow the conture of the body,to make it look good.I started bending the door frames as well and have gotten this far with everything.Sure nice to have this sq tubing bending jig to make bends now rather then cut and weld.I'll keep posting more as I get further into the build.Larry

11 500 EFI Sunset Red

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Door frame's completed

Finally have the door frames completed,need to paint them yet.Made the door latches and the fit around the gas tank.If you look close you can see the automotive door weather striping all around the door.Using this stlye of weather striping allows the doors to close and seal nice to the roll cage and the sides of the Ranger.After the frames are painted I'll install the rubberized canvas on the frames.Next will be to find a suitable side window out of a wrecked car/truck.

11 500 EFI Sunset Red

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Ranger 500 doors completed

Now the cab is done the doors are completed.I changed my design a bit from the original plan.I used safety/laminate glass for the side windows rather then lexan/polimar.I figured mud dirt branches etc would have scratched up fairly quickly if I was cleaning/wiping mud dirt etc off all the time.The only thing is the glass doubled the weight of the doors.

11 500 EFI Sunset Red

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links