Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Difference under seat on midsize 800 vs. full size

This is a discussion on Difference under seat on midsize 800 vs. full size within the Mid-Size Rangers forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; I am in the market for either the 500 mid size or the 800 midsize. I sold a full size 800 due to all of ...

Thread: Difference under seat on midsize 800 vs. full size

Member #
    Member #

Difference under seat on midsize 800 vs. full size

I am in the market for either the 500 mid size or the 800 midsize. I sold a full size 800 due to all of the heat problems under the seat and blowing through the dash. I felt like the cooling system on the fullsize 800 wasn't big enough. I went to a local dealer and compared the mid size machine to the full size. I noticed that the radiator looks a little bigger on the mid size. Did they beef up the cooling system on these machines? I also noticed on the mid size that it has a different heat shield on the muffler under the seat. It also has more heat shields on the gas tank. I am wondering if the heat under the seat on the mid size machines is as extreme as the full size ranger. I did notice that the mid size 800's fan came on at 204 degrees just like the full size does. I would like some first hand experience with how the heat on the mid size is compared to the 800 full size from somebody that has been running one. I am really leaning towards the 500 but can get the 800 for $1000 more. I just don't want to get in the same situation I had with the full size 800.

(Jason) Veteran Member livinthelegend's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Jon,

I can't help on the 800 midsize, but I can tell you my 500 mid has been amazing with no heat issues. I did have to redo the gas tank float, but that is because I drowned it coming off the Glacier right after I got it. Silt got in the gas tank and caused some issues. I have also had my throttle freeze up, but again I go through alot of wet conditions and after 7 1/2 hrs of running it sat outside the camp in -27 degree weather for 8 hours.

I consider those all to be user related issues not design flaws. Ride them hard and your bound to find some problems.

I have always had plenty of power, only time I "wished" I had more is when I asked the Ranger to carry a full moose in the bed and 2 in a pac rat trailer. Had to winch the last 75 yards up a very steep grade mountain. It was snowing and the trail was slick, so more power may not have helped.

Good luck!

J
    2011 Ranger 500 EFI
    1/2 winshield
    sport top
    lock and ride dual gun mount
    Lock and ride II box
    3,500lb winch
    upgraded battery.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her they cost.

(Sha) Veteran Member cetheridge's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    No heat issues with my 500 either, and I'm in a slightly warmer climate than Jason! The 500 has enough power for what I do. I had a brute force, and I was worried that I would miss the power, but I don't.
    2014 Ranger 900XP

(Scott) Regular Member Hawgtied's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Heat is not a problem for my 500 either. I tend to do a lot of slow riding, most of the time with some type of load in the bed. Im not sure about the 800 mid, someone will add comments about it though.
    2011 500 EFI
    3000 lb winch
    SS wheels
    28" Zillas
    Backwoods armor Arched A arms front and rear
    2" highlifter
    Lock and ride roof
    Custom stereo

Member #
    Member #
    I went and drove a 800 midsize & had planned on buying it.
    Boy was it LOUD!!! I made the mistake & drove the 900 Ranger too, needless to say I came home with the 900.
    Didn't notice the heat in the 800 midsize though, but it was 33 when i was driving both.
    900 Ranger w/ EPS
    Probox top & subs
    1/2 front windshield & full back windshield
    Backwoods Front bumper
    30' mudlites on No limit wheels

OLD:
    Camo Canam Maverick
    900xp Ranger
    1000xt Outlander
    800xp Ranger
    800xt outlander
    660 Rhino