PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

2014 Ranger 400 Carburator

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  SiPPMSH 
#1 ·
I purchased my 2014 Ranger 400 late fall of last year. I live in Kansas.

I have been wanting to make plans to take my Ranger up into the mountains in Colorado, and do some trail riding with with a couple friends. One of the guys that I would be going with asked me a question I had no answer for, "since you have a carbonated engine, and NOT fuel injected, that if I take my machine up in high elevations, that I would have to put different jets in my carburetor?" Is this true?

#2 ·
I guess it would depend on how high you were going to go. The higher you go the richer the bike will run. There usually set pretty lean from the factory. That being said...it would probably be fine till about 5000ft. give or take I'm guessing.

Reactions: markbet
#4 ·
He is correct. As mentioned above, up to 5000' won't make a huge difference......but go up to 10,000' and you'll see significant loss in performance.

Elevation also affects the clutching, but to a lesser degree. Still, it's enough that Polaris offers a high altitude clutch kit.

#5 ·
My 400 doesnt like 7500 plus. Haven't been that high many times but I can feel a difference when I do.

Reactions: markbet
#7 ·
It's not that won't work at all at the altitude, just that the performance will be noticeably reduced, but it will still get you around... just don't plan on winning any races!

#8 ·
One of the guys that I would be going with asked me a question I had no answer for, "since you have a carbonated engine, and NOT fuel injected, that if I take my machine up in high elevations, that I would have to put different jets in my carburetor?" Is this true?
For optimum performance.
Owners Manual page 87.
Jetting an clutch settings.

#13 ·
Just to clarify, CVT clutches are not directly affected by altitude changes, they are indirectly affected due to the potential change in an engine's output power caused by an increase in attitude. Simply put, higher altitude equals less air. The air/fuel mixture for any combustion engine requires a level of balance in order to make usable power. For a naturally aspirated engine, an increase in altitude will almost definitely ensure less power. Since CVT clutches are calibrated by horsepower, a change in horsepower would potentially require re-calibration of the clutch. Now, if you were to re-jet your carburetor for higher altitude conditions you could lessen the need for re-calibrating your clutch by regaining some of your lost horsepower by re-balancing the air/fuel mixture BUT you will never remove the need entirely for the simple reason that...higher altitude equals less air...and less air equals...less power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.