Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

2011 Crew 800: Weak Rear CV Axle Shafts !!

This is a discussion on 2011 Crew 800: Weak Rear CV Axle Shafts !! within the Ranger Crew Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; Well last week I was playing around on my crew and I screwed it up. I was gunning it from a stand still on dry ...

Thread: 2011 Crew 800: Weak Rear CV Axle Shafts !!

(OP) Starting Member MasterBaiter's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

2011 Crew 800: Weak Rear CV Axle Shafts !!

Well last week I was playing around on my crew and I screwed it up. I was gunning it from a stand still on dry pavement. I did this twice and power braked once. I think power braking is what jacked it up. Anyways, Im usually pretty good with my machine and dont abuse it, but I was trying to "peel out" just goofing off. Immediately afterward my crew start to feel like it was "galloping". I put the rear wheels on a jack and sure enough the rear axle shafts were bent and wobbling. Heed my warning, don't do this to your polaris UTV. I have to admit polaris skimmped out on the shafts and one should be able to semi abuse these machines without consequences. They (polaris shafts) seem so disappointingly weak. Ive grown up with 3 and 4 wheelers and horsed around with them all my life, you outta be able to goof off like that without breaking it. Anyways, i got lucky and found 2 brand new OEM shafts for $65, so I bought them and replaced them. I went ahead and took pics, just incase you guys need to attempt a CV replacement. It was very easy to do, I did both in less than an hour. Im new to this forum and not sure if there is a tech forum where I can post a sticky.

(Robert) Regular Member robnik1's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Where did you find axles for 65.00?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Yeah, it would be nice to have beefier OEM axles... but I also think there is a big weight difference between that crew and 4 wheelers. Lots more weight on that axle. Just MHO though...
    2014 Polaris Ranger 900 XP - Sunset Red LE EPS
    *Pure Polaris Steel Roof* *bedliner* *Ininity Radio/Dash Install/Kicker Speakers in Factory mounts*

(Alan) 1000+ Member Rockin Ranger Rider's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    OP Well you know what they say live and learn sorry about that first time out
    Always seeking a higher path

(OP) Starting Member MasterBaiter's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Thx guys. I got lucky and found them on Ebay for $65 each, they retail for slightly under $300

Member #
    Member #
    Every Polaris UTV & ATV built in 2011 & 2012 have very small-weak cv-axles. When you compare them to an 2009 or 2010 it is very easy to see. That is why we have aftermarket axles, axle bar kits and steering stop kits for some of the Rangers, RZR's as well as the Sportsman ATV line up.
    I have been the General Sales Manager at High Lifter Products for the past 15 years. If I can assist you with your RUV needs, please call me at (800) 699-0947, ext. 6038. Thanks !!!!
    www.highlifter.com

(Wendell) Starting Member Buffalobwana's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

Broken Axle

I too broke the left rear when I got mine in a bind. I gave it a bit of gas and it just popped. The axle broke right at the inner CV.

Very weak little axle.

So, do they just come out of the diff with a pull? Or do you have to go in the diff and remove a pin or clip or some retaining device?

Oh yeah, where do I buy a replacement axle that won't break if I accidentally sneeze on it? Not too interested in putting another Polaris axle on it if they break with a bit of torque.

Thanks.

(john) Veteran Member swampdonkie's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    I found a axle repair kit from gorilla were you put heavier cage star race and balls for lil over $100 but don't can't find anyone to give a review.

Links