Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

fan cut off switch

This is a discussion on fan cut off switch within the Ranger Crew Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; did a search awhile back on this and found a video on how to do it. can not find it now. was wondering if anyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fan cut off switch

(mike) Starting Member yard_dawg's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

fan cut off switch

did a search awhile back on this and found a video on how to do it. can not find it now. was wondering if anyone could help me before i get started on mine. i know that in the video it said to cut on splice the red wire going to the fan. if this is right is the red wire coming from the buggy considered the sorce wire and the red wire that would be going to the fan be the load? any input you guys could give would be helpful. want to get it right before i cut my fanwires. thanks
    2013 800 Full Size Camo Crew
    3 Inch Lift Forward A Arms Backwoods Armour also arched rears
    30 inch bighorns on 14 inch STI Black Beadlocks
    5000 lb winch on Home made bumper plate
    made by fortress front windshield,roof and back panel with sliding glass all metal
    strobes
    fan cut off switch
    UNI air filter
    dual batteries

(Jeffrey) Elite Member Jeff Polisena's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I spliced into orange wire under fuse block ,it goes to relay so switch just cuts signal to relay .
    2012 Ranger XP LE Pearl White

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I put my switch on the ground wire. That way if my switch is on and the thermostat turns the fan on, my switch will light up telling me to turn the switch back off.

Switched on=fan off
    Switched off=normal operation

Took some trial and error on wiring, but it works flawlessly.
    2013 Ranger 500 Crew
    28" S/W Mega Mayhems - Custom Front/Rear Windshield - Wood Roof with Tunes - Aluminum 4x4 rear bumper - Snork'd - 2" Lift - 2" SATV Forward A arms - Fan cut-off switch - Backup light - dome light - Custom mud blockers front/rear - Aux Seat Fan/Heater

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Mine does that , switch off and light on switch will light telling me to turn on fan . I need to hook a buzzer or beeper too so it is an added alarm when not sitting in ranger and temps are up . I've been in water stuck and temps came up and did remember to turn fan on in time .Buzzer only needs to work when switch is in off position . I think I can get it to work with relays.

(mike) Starting Member yard_dawg's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    so what your saying is that you spliced your ground wire into your switch? What color wire was it? Also does it still hook up on the switch on the post like the pos? Ater you cut your wire, the wire that would be coming in from your buggy be the source on your switch,then the wire that would be going to the fan be the source? Just want to get this right before I cut anything. And from what I read the switch has to be on for the fan to run? Thanks
    2013 800 Full Size Camo Crew
    3 Inch Lift Forward A Arms Backwoods Armour also arched rears
    30 inch bighorns on 14 inch STI Black Beadlocks
    5000 lb winch on Home made bumper plate
    made by fortress front windshield,roof and back panel with sliding glass all metal
    strobes
    fan cut off switch
    UNI air filter
    dual batteries

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Yes switch on for fan to come on but light on fan will come on wether the switch is on or off

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    My light only comes on when my switch is "ON" (Fan "OFF") and the fan is supposed to be on.

With my switch "OFF", my fan cycles like normal, no light.
    2013 Ranger 500 Crew
    28" S/W Mega Mayhems - Custom Front/Rear Windshield - Wood Roof with Tunes - Aluminum 4x4 rear bumper - Snork'd - 2" Lift - 2" SATV Forward A arms - Fan cut-off switch - Backup light - dome light - Custom mud blockers front/rear - Aux Seat Fan/Heater

(Mark) Veteran Member Mrmojorisan's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    That sounds cool, but I'm completely confused on how you made that work. With the switch "on" the circuit is closed allowing the fan to run normal. Flipping the switch to the "off" position cuts the circuit not giving it a ground... what am I missing?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I don't exactly know why it works, but it does. I'm using the top two posts on the switch. Maybe "supply" in the middle, and "+" on top. Only two wires. For whatever reason it works. Dont trust it, don't do it. But it's absolutely perfect for what I wanted.
    2013 Ranger 500 Crew

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    The switch lights because the "lighted switch" has it's on ground wire for the bulb in the switch. The power from the fan is backfeedin along the ground wire from fan and lighting the "grounded" light in the switch.

If you splice into the hot wire going to the fan and connect the ranger side of hot wire to the "load" side of switch (side that makes switch light up with power), and the fan side of hot wire to the power in side of switch, you'll get the same result.

IMO if you splice the switch into wire between sensor and factory relay, there is a lot less amps going through wire and the switch is less likely to burn out. You can still have the switch light when power is coming from sensor to let you know the fan needs to be on.
    2010 800 XP
    Venom 4500 winch
    Custom 1/4" aluminum roof
    500 watt amp
    RGB LEDs
    LED Music Controller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links