2016 Ranger xp 900 Crew - RattleSnake dream(then)build thread - Page 13
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

2016 Ranger xp 900 Crew - RattleSnake dream(then)build thread

This is a discussion on 2016 Ranger xp 900 Crew - RattleSnake dream(then)build thread within the Ranger Crew Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; Looks good. It amazes me the difference wheels and tires make on a buggy....

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: 2016 Ranger xp 900 Crew - RattleSnake dream(then)build thread

(Chuck) Veteran Member NP Chief's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Looks good. It amazes me the difference wheels and tires make on a buggy.
    2013 Ranger 800 Crew - Sage Green
    30" Gorilla Silverbacks
    14" MSA Diesels
    4" Precision Offroad A-arm lift
    Precision Offroad front and back bumper
    Full front windshield
    Vinyl rear window
    Badlands 2500 winch
    2 - 40" LED lightbars
    LED dome light
    Custom black diamond plate top with matching radio box
    Pioneer CD/MP3 player
    4 - 6" Kicker marine speakers
    2 - 2" tweeters
    JL Audio marine amp

(Jake) Veteran Member itsalljake's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Yup. I did not get all my wiring done. I installed the wiper kit though. Which meant removing the PAC-80 and circuit breaker and fuse box as I installed them exactly where the washer fluid goes. So that took way more time than I had scheduled. I did get all the switches installed, they just don't have the accessories attached. The constant battle between playing in the mud and, not working on a muddy Ranger. So here's the original. (Essentially, from my father in laws ranger, but same thing)

Name:  IMG_5447.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  2.46 MB

And here's the final (for now of course)

Name:  IMG_5448.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  1.95 MB

I really wanted red Contura x's but OTRATTW only has a limited selection and in blue. I called. Supposedly they've got some customs in the works but after waiting two months I said screw it. Needing room for everything I decided to relocate the drive selection closer to the gear shift. I actually use it quite a bit depending on terrain, load and conditions so I kinda like it there. It also gets the odd-man-out orange out of the mix. Since I'm using smaller wattage LEDs I only used one circuit for the front lights and one for the rock, rear facing and dome lights. Rock and rear installed just not going to the switches yet. And haven't decided on domes because I keep thinking about the headliner for noise but the new tires would cover it in mud.

I also had the shop install the A arms, HD tie rods and axles. Well, even though I told them the tie rods would need some machining they did not do it. Here's the result. Drivers side as straight and square as I can eyeball it.

Name:  IMG_5453.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  674.8 KB

Not bad, but here's what the passenger side looks like.

Name:  IMG_5454.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  607.1 KB

May not look like much but boy howdy, get that Ranger up to 15+ MPH and it is one squirrelly ride for sure. I'll have to fix that next time, following Todd's directions of course. Hmmmm what else. New A arms totally unadjusted my brakes so I'll have to fix that too. Some rubbing still but nothing crazy, I think it's the bumper. Love being able to hit rocks and logs without so much concern for puncture. They's some heavy tires but I think I like em. For those who are curious, no, they do not clean out very well.

Name:  IMG_5467.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  2.05 MB

It was some really soaked ground and this stuff was pretty sticky. Definitely have to add some mud blockers and a full skid to keep the grime out. Also, Discount Tire direct made me buy a security set of lugs to fit the wheels. Said the stocks won't fit. Not true. I know there some discussion on here about proper lug fittment so here some photos.

Name:  IMG_5439.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  1.36 MB

Name:  IMG_5440.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  930.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5442.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  2.11 MB

Name:  IMG_5444.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  1.71 MB

Both are tapered. The stock have a little more meat on the tapered edge. The "security" lugs weren't even the right size so there's that. Fortunately the stock ones fits with the method's without problems.
    Last edited by itsalljake; 01-12-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    teshreve likes this.
    2016 POLARIS RANGER 900-6 CREW TITANIUM MATTE METALLIC
    Polaris-Sport roof:Glass tilt-out windshield with wiper kit:Seat heaters:Horn:Homelink garage door opener. Dragon Fire-Half doors. 30" Tensor Regulators on 14"x8" Method Racing Mesh wheels. Odyssey 1200. Opt7 22" light bar and front cubes. Outkast 3" full kit.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1096 times
    Woohoo. Looks great!
    2016 RANGER XP® 900 EPS
    TRAIL EDITION BLUE FIRE
    teshreve's 2016 Ranger 900 Build Thread

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Thanks! Now, exactly how much do I need to grind off of those tie rods?
    Polaris-Sport roof:Glass tilt-out windshield with wiper kit:Seat heaters:Horn:Homelink garage door opener. Dragon Fire-Half doors. 30" Tensor Regulators on 14"x8" Method Racing Mesh wheels. Odyssey 1200. Opt7 22" light bar and front cubes. Outkast 3" full kit.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1096 times
    There is no set amount.
    The inner heim threads into the rack. If you tighten it down real good and it is not articulating along the same axis as the arms swing then you are required to tighten it more or loosen it. Tightening more might not be bad, but it also might not be enough. Loosening it is automatically bad. The threads need to be bound up or it will wobble. Things that wobble wear. When the thing that is wearing is your steering, eventually you are going to have a bad day
    I also ground the jam nuts thinner to get the right amount of toe. But they might have adjusted the length since I bought mine. Although it looks like you do have some toe-in. That means the tie rods need to be shorter. If they are all the way short its time to thin the jam nuts a bit.

So I would check to make sure the inner heim is tight on the rack. I only had to tinker with the passenger side. Amazingly the driver side was perfect after getting it maybe a bit too tight.
    Last edited by teshreve; 01-10-2017 at 09:42 PM.
    2016 RANGER XP® 900 EPS
    TRAIL EDITION BLUE FIRE

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1096 times
    What are the things between the heated seat switches?
    2016 RANGER XP® 900 EPS
    TRAIL EDITION BLUE FIRE

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1096 times
    Quote Originally Posted by itsalljake View Post
    And haven't decided on domes because I keep thinking about the headliner for noise but the new tires would cover it in mud.
    The headliner cleans really nice. I don't get too much crap on my headliner with my 1/2 doors and tires that tuck in pretty well under the fender.

New A arms totally unadjusted my brakes so I'll have to fix that too
    . Can you elaborate? Your brakes should be exactly the same.
    2016 RANGER XP® 900 EPS
    TRAIL EDITION BLUE FIRE

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    87 times
    Between the seat heat switches are the USB charge ports and the homelink garage door opener. I have one automatic gate and a garage door and it's a pain every time I forget the opener, so why not mount it to the Ranger?!? Not sure when I'll be up there next but I'll have a go at thinning the jamb nuts. Need a proper vice up there. Fortunately I've got some spares in the shop. Not sure what the deal is with the brakes. Maybe just bigger heavier tires. But I doubt it. The pawltector is not grabbing the way it used to. Pretty sure the shop misadjusted them somehow. Hoping the half doors help but I'll likely need some sort of fender extension as well, hate to be in the back seat after that last ride. Unless you like the taste of mud. Which, I don't terribly mind, when I'm grinning.
    Last edited by itsalljake; 01-11-2017 at 01:03 AM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Looks great - saw that homelink in your dash right away - been looking at blowing some Christmas $'s on that. Not needed - but sure is cool. I just don't have a spot to put it in my dash!

The washer tank does create issues under the hood for all the new electrical. bummer you had to move it twice.
    itsalljake likes this.
    2016 900XP Northstar Edition
    Superwinch Tera 45s
    Denali Pro 72" with Hydro-Turn
    Upgraded to tip-out front windshield
    Aluma 7712H trailer with Prolockers
    Projects: http://www.prcforum.com/forum/52-ran...-projects.html
    Custom PRC Search" https://cse.google.com/cse/home?cx=0...saktoixe&hl=en

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1096 times
    Do the brakes feel weaker? If so that was my experience as well after installing 30" tires. Quite a bit more force is required for the same deceleration. Which makes sense to me at least. The arm and axle installs don't require anything more than removing the calipers from the hubs. Nothing with the lines and no adjustments. I am not a brake expert, but my mind's eye tells me there are no adjustments in the entire system. To other experts, aren't fluid level, having no air in the lines, and brake pad thickness the only variables?
    It's possible they got confused, disconnected a line, and didn't bleed the air out... But that seems remote to me.
    2016 RANGER XP® 900 EPS
    TRAIL EDITION BLUE FIRE

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links