Looking at buying a used Ranger Crew and have a few questions
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Looking at buying a used Ranger Crew and have a few questions within the Ranger Crew Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; I've been wanting a Crew for awhile for hunting etc. I'm kinda on a budget so I found what appears to be a fairly good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Looking at buying a used Ranger Crew and have a few questions

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

I've been wanting a Crew for awhile for hunting etc. I'm kinda on a budget so I found what appears to be a fairly good deal. $7500 is the price. It's a 2013 Ranger Crew EFI 800. Nothing extra besides a Full windshield and plastic roof. No EPS, Camo edition, winch or anything else. Just the entry level 800 Crew. This is owned by an older couple that used it basically to give grandkids rides around there home and they said the did an occasional trip here and there on dirt roads. It only has 760 miles on it. Most I have looked at have 3k to 5k miles on them. It appears cosmetically to be flawless. They said it hasn't been ridden in about 6 months. We had to jump start it to get it to start but it starts right up and idles without issue. So I have a few questions from what I observed.

1. Like I said it fires right up but if you push on the pedal to rev the RPM's if the brake is on it cuts out to the point it almost stalls. If you take off the Ebrake it idles and revs up without issue. Only seems to have an issue when the Ebrake is on. Not sure if this is normal operation or not.

2. We test rode it and it seems to do ok but top Speed I was getting was about 45mph. Maybe if I could have had a longer straight away I could have bumped it up a little more but it seemed to be all she had. Is this right? I was thinking these were 60mph rigs or so? I don't need to be doing 60mph but if there is an issue I'd like to know about it. Should I have been able to do better?

Lastly when buying a used UTV like this what other things should I check? Oil was fine and everything works as it should. Goes into 4x4 and 4x2 without issue. If I'm missing something please help me out.
    07 Ranger XP 700
    6 seater

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    350 times
    I don't know about the ebrake but I suspect it might be normal for it to do that.

That top speed is probably about right but it might run a little faster with fresh gas run through it. My mid size 800 would run 55-56 with a windshield and top and it has the 50 hp HO motor without the intake restrictor that came in the crew models. I think they are 44 hp or so.

From your description it appears to be a nice rig.
    jungleman likes this.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2065 times
    Agree, sounds like you got a pretty good deal! Yes, the ebrake thing is normal. Speed sounds about right, the windshield is going to slow you down a bit as will the restrictor in the intake (throttle body), and, if I'm am not mistaken, the crew is geared a bit lower than the 3 seater. You can probably milk a few more mph out of it (2 or 3) but if you don't really need it, I wouldn't bother. Just for peace of mind, I would change all the fluids, especially the gas if it has been sitting in it for 6 months!

Additionally, check all three vent lines (front diff, rear diff, and fuel tank) and make sure they are clear. Unless the previous owner was a PRC member (unthinkable!), he probably did not protect the ends of those lines from dust/dirt. If not, get you some standard lawn mower fuel line filters and stick them on the end of those lines - great insurance (and cheap!) against the fluids getting dirty!

I don't recall any TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) or recalls on that model but it's a good idea to check. Your dealer should be able to tell you or you can enter the VIN here to check yourself; Off-Road Product Safety Recalls - Search by VIN Not sure where the VIN is on your model but on my '11 800, it's on the seat frame behind the passengers butt. The Owners Manual should tell you. If you didn't get an Owners Manual, you can get one free here: Download Owners Manuals - By Vehicle Type If you are a DIY kinda guy, you'll need a Service Manual. You can download one for $9.95 here: Polaris Ranger Service Manuals PDF Download .

Chances are, you are not done with your battery problems! If it still has the original battery in it, check the electrolyte level and top it off to the 'full' line with distilled water while you wait for your brand new Odyssey PC925L and your new Smart Charger with an AGM setting to be delivered Three years is about the most you can expect from the OEM battery. A weak battery will cause you all kinds of grief that doesn't seem like should even be related to the battery!

Probably, by now, the springs are starting to sag a bit. If so, jack it up so the weight is off the wheel(s) and turn the pre-load on the shocks up a click or two. Good luck!
    jungleman likes this.

My friend says to me, “What rhymes with orange?” I said, “No it doesn’t.”

'11 800 XP - Viper Elite 4000 - EZTSK Turn Signals - Overhead Gun Rack - Backup LED - Dual Lock 'n Ride Storage Bins - Odyssey Aux 925L Battery on 1314 - H.I.D.'s - 30" LED Front, 10" LED Rear - Diamond Plate Floor Boards - Rear View Mirror w/Compass, Temp & Map Lites - 26" Bighorns - Front & Back BA arched A-Arms - Half Folding Windshield - DiamondBack Roof - Foot Saver - Dash Kit - UHMW Skids - Prolockers

'13 RZR 900xp EPS - Medical Insurance

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    For what its worth, if you can find a left over 2016 570-6 Crew(full size 6 pass) its the same body as the 2013 800 and can be bought brand new for $10,000. I know because i just bought one about 3 weeks ago.
    Or you can get a 2017 570-4 (mid size 4 seat) brand new about same price. The mid size has the profit cage while the 570-6 has old style round bar cage like the 800.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks but I'm pretty set on at least an 800. We've had a 570Rzr in the past and even though we really liked it there was a noticeable difference between it and my 800 that we also had at the time. I want the extra little the 800 gives. And I'm stretching it at $7500. Just to much money going out right now.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No problem. It does sound like a pretty good deal on the 800. I was looking at used and couldnt find a decent crew under $10K so thats why I went with the new 570-6.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Believe me I'd rather buy new like you did but this seams to really be a good deal. We won't put a ton of miles on it just want it for hunting etc. Mostly dirt roads and some trails. We haven't seen any deals this good where I live eaither that's why we are trying to jump on this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Well it's a done deal. I'm the proud owner of a 2013 800 Crew. We brought it home and shined it up and gave it a good once over. I dropped the oil and filter and the oil was clean. Air filter was even clean. Either it was just serviced or they didn't ride it in the dust much. It has 760 mikes on it and 51hrs. Picked it up for $7500. I think it's a pretty good deal. I really don't like the red paint. I really wish it was a camo one as we are going to use it as a hunting rig. I'm actually thinking of buying Camo spray paint cans a painting all the red stuff with a diy camo paint job. Anyone seen this done or done it themselves? Either that or maybe just use the Camo desert tan and paint it a solid color. I know it's not going to be scratch resistant but I don't really care. It's going to get scratched up in the hills anyways. Any ideas on this? Here is a pic of it with my Kayaks hooked up to the back. We had to move the kayaks around and the ranger made it easy. Even though the kayaks can be moved by hand very easy the Ranger made it fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    07 Ranger XP 700
    6 seater

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Congrats on the new ride. You got a good deal and won't be disappointed with the 800. I don't know that I would spray paint it... Have you thought about hydro-graphics or a vinyl wrap? Looks better and a wrap can be removed if you ever want to sell.
    2013 Ranger 800 Crew - Sage Green
    30" Gorilla Silverbacks
    14" MSA Diesels
    4" Precision Offroad A-arm lift
    Precision Offroad front and back bumper
    Full front windshield
    Vinyl rear window
    Badlands 2500 winch
    2 - 40" LED lightbars
    LED dome light
    Custom black diamond plate top with matching radio box
    Pioneer CD/MP3 player
    4 - 6" Kicker marine speakers
    2 - 2" tweeters
    JL Audio marine amp

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    NP Chief do you have a photo of your rig anywhere? I'd love to SENA photo of it. From your description it seems like a super sweet rig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links