Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Roll Cage removal for transport

This is a discussion on Roll Cage removal for transport within the Ranger XP 900 Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; I bought a new XP900 today (Orange Madness w/ EPS). I want to get it home but dealer is a couple hours away and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roll Cage removal for transport

(Wild+Bill) Regular Member T-Hawk900XP's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Roll Cage removal for transport

I bought a new XP900 today (Orange Madness w/ EPS). I want to get it home but dealer is a couple hours away and I don't want get it covered with road salt so I plan to use a V-nosed utility trailer. The trailer I have will just allow the Ranger to fit (with about 4" all the way around) but I will need to remove the Roll Cage to get the unit in the trailer (which the dealer said they would do for me). Initially I was visualizing a couple of bolts at each corner and pull it off but I forgot about the cross brace with the headrests and the nets. I assume the Rangers ship without the roll cage removed to the dealer? Other than putzing with a few nuts and bolts can anyone think of a downside to removing and reinstalling the roll cage? Any idea what type / size sockets or Torx I'll need to reinstall the cage?

Thanks.

Member #
    Member #
    No big deal at all to remove/reinstall, go for it!

(duramax) Starting Member duramax557's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    drop the air out of the tires will that give you the need space.
    2010 ranger xp le ocean blue
    Steel roof and windshield, dual battery with polaris isolator, Sony radio and kicker kick panel speckers, warn rt40

Member #
    Member #
    Do what duramaxx557 suggests and take air out of tires or rent a taller enclosed trailer or wait a few days until the road is clear. Last suggestion is wash it down well while it is on your normal trailer when you get home at a car wash. Taking off the nets and cage is more work than worth IMHO.

Also remember, the ranger maybe taller than the rear door opening of an enclosed trailer. However, as it goes up the rear ramp, the front will be inside and you may have enough clearance because of the ramp angle. The inside height is taller than the rear door opening height.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Just take the cage off, if the dude that put it together was anything like mine, its a cake walk... I had to go re tighten every bolt on my cage smh
    2012 El Rangero 800 with ESP
    Just some BACKWOODS stuff

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks guys...I've thought of many of the same ideas being bounced around. I was able to get a golf cart with roof in the trailer doing the front in first / angle up issue but the vertical door ht is 64" which my dealer tells me is ht from bottom of "running board" to top of cage so very unlikely that either airing down or hoping for "angle clearance" will cut it.

I also toyed with renting a U-haul which I may do. I remember when I picked up my 2006 on an open trailer about the same time of year that I got some industrial shrink wrap and shrunk wapped the unit - that may work or I may have a 60' flapping flag behind me. If I remember it worked last time but took a long time to put it on to full cover. Even with "dry roads", my experienc is that "salt dust" still gets on the machines. Also toyed with a good wash but I'm not sure I'd get all the areas, I wouldn't want to pressure wash the "interior" and not a fan of hosing it down in sub-freezing weather (and I still have to drive 9 miles from car wash to home).

I guess I've got some thinking to do. I do appreciate the comments.

(steve) Regular Member work n play's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    You could take the wheels off and use a floor jack or furniture casters, that would gain you alot of clearance. And a lot less work than removing the cage. Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.

(Jim) Special Advisor collinator's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    The cage is 6-bolts. Not really a big-deal. You do not have to un-bolt the X-Bracing. Unless you're picking it up in a mini-van....
    2014 Kawasaki Teryx T2800
    2013 900 XP- SOLD

The Great and Powerful Oz. From 1966.......

Member #
    Member #
    When are you doing this? Roads are pretty dry right now. Lots of salt dust, but that's minor.

Alternatively, a roll of shrink wrap shouldn't cost too much, just be sure to tape down the end and do a round or two of tape reinforcement..

Curious where did you end up buying from?
    2013 XP 900 Browning
    Premium roof, solid rear glass, tip out windshield, pivoting window doors, rear bumper, Polaris heater/defroster kit

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm thinking about a Saturday pick-up but I'm not sure.

I actually have some shrink wrap - should check if its still "clingy" as its from when I picked up my last Ranger in the winter 7 years ago.

They are calling for freezing rain tonight / rain tomorrow and slighty chance on Saturday. If they don't salt the clap out the roads tonight with freezing rain, maybe rain tomorrow will wash off roads and I can run the open trailer. Thinking about seeing if Fleet Farm has a UTV cover to put over the entire machine before shrink wrapping 'er up.

I went with a dealer in NE Wisconsin (near my home town) that I dealt with for 20 years before moving to N Central Wisconsin. Would have preferred to buy local but my old dealer was obviously desperate to get my biz, always have treated me great and put down a deal I couldn't walk away from. Sorry but out to of respect for all the dealers I'm not going to talk numbers or dealer names. My semi-local dealer was frustrated that we couldn't get a deal done but I think we left negotiations on good terms and I'm sure they'll see some of my coin down the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links