PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

Bikeman says their tune is almost done!!!

34K views 158 replies 40 participants last post by  Mr. Impulse 
#1 ·
Bike man just announced they are almost tune with the custom tune on the ranger 900's!!! Well it's in their Facebook page anyways lol

#73 ·
To take full advantage of the power gains you'd need to swap to the TAS-03 secondary, Team has been backordered and DDP is the only one capable of shipping a complete kit right now.

#76 ·
I'll have an update for factory clutching in less than an hr. My speed and power kit arrived today. Gonna load the tune and see what factory clutching will do for you that are asking. I'll put the clutching in tomorrow.

#80 ·
Honest review
It's definitely got more pep from start to finish. Most noticeably the mid range. After downloading, the engine really raps out fast in park just hitting the throttle. My highest rpm was 6800. I did hit 59 mph when I rode it alone. In the video I'm going to include, I had 5 passengers. The total weight was roughly 700 lbs. then add another 100 lbs of corn in the bed. Mine is a crew with 27" tires. Full front and rear windshield and a metal top. Again, this is with factory clutching.

Reactions: Jack4203
#83 ·
Ill add, this small test was on flat ground. And its not quite a 1/4 mile stretch that I had to let off in order to make a 90* turn. I think I could have hit higher speeds with a longer stretch. The heavy weights in the factory clutch are keeping me from turning higher RPM's

#84 ·
Hold off judgement just yet guys. He's a good 12 to 1400 off his target rpm's. Like mashing on the gas with your car stuck in overdrive. Its not even getting to the sweet spot yet. It will be a different animal when clutched to the tune. I'd put money on it.:encouragement:

Reactions: rusty1
#122 ·
Yes as far as we know the crews are still at 60hp, so the gains even on newer crews would be the same as the earlier 900 XP's.

How many magnet weights would y'all suggest me adding? My normal elevation ranges from 800-1500'. And how many for when I go to Colorado? Elevation from 9000-13000'?
We run 2 magnets on our weights which seems to be perfect. If your going up in elevation, you'll want to remove both those magnets. Otherwise, you'd just be down a few hundred RPM's.

Keep in mind that lightening weight without spring changes can result in belt slippage. You really need to do it right with a clutch kit.

Chris
Yes our stage 1 clutch kit that comes with the power and speed is only primary. It is working better than I expected with the stock secondary clutch, but upgrading to the stage 2 clutch kit is the best way to go. You get a much better Tied secondary clutch and a helix tuned just for these upgrades. Back shift on and off the throttle is also huge with the stage 2.

Clutching done. 8200 RPM's and 65mph in my crew
Awesome news!

It's night and day difference. The 2014 RZR 4 800 I raced when my crew was factory beat me by 5+ lengths and was still pulling from me. Now after clutching and the tune install, I have made up the difference and then some.

The weight I believe is 59.8 grams. I think the arms were 57 grams alone. Maybe Bikeman will validate this for us. I added two 1.4gram weights to each arm. My crew now turns 8200 RPM's. And it's a steady 65mph.

Below is the race after clutching.

Our weights are 59 gram base. With two magnets you're running 61.4 grams which is exactly what I'm running also.

What's the stock rev limit? Is there a speed limiter? After bikeman tune, what's the rev limit? Is ideal shift out 8,200rpm like you're experiencing? As you lighten weight in primary, you'd normally soften the primary spring otherwise your engagement rpm and top shift out rpm would be too high.

Back when I worked in the UTV magazine industry('07-'11) Bikeman participated in quite a few of our project vehicles, exhaust shootouts, etc. In fact, they won the exhaust shoot out on the RZR 800's with the highest overall gain across the broadest rpm range. One of our first ranger builds we had nitrous, clutching, full motor mods on a ranger and it was super fast. They really
know their stuff...now they just need to get the turf mode to work with their ecu. :)

Chris
Our rev limit is 8500rpm with the tune. Stock ranger rev limit is 6900-7000? My Ranger never even came close to hitting it from the factory.

That was a great shootout from right when I joined this company. Thanks for the compliments!

Most definitely. My results have me really thinking about adding the exhaust too.
Exhaust really does work well as that muffler is quiet, but restrictive. Ours isn't overly loud, but definitely louder than stock, especially with higher RPM's.

Could I just change the spring and weights in me ddp clutch I already have installed? Also, lets be realistic... I know this setup hasn't been out long enough for alot of feedback, but is there any downsides to this, such as reduced engine life ?
You should be able to use some components. Obviously the weights need to be changed for sure. If you take your secondary clutch off and let me know if any markings are on the helix that would help. I could tell you how well your secondary setup would work. They just use Team components, so it should have the angle and part number right on the helix.

This is the same motor design that is in the XP 900, RZR 1000 and exactly the same as the 900 S. They are designed for higher RPM's so no reliability or engine life issues with the tuning.

So if the check engine light is always on , how would you know when something failed that would normally throw a code?
The ECU will still pull things back if something major is going wrong. For small codes you can just check periodically, but these would be situations that would not cause any running issues.

Yea seems to me that they jumped the gun on this by releasing it before getting the bugs worked out... Kinda like when I dropped an old Chevy 350 4 bolt main in my 2001 jeep wrangler when I was 16... I wanted to be the first around to have it... The outcome : it was fast as hell, but only half of what it should have / could have been. That was 15 years ago, I've learned from stuff like this, I'm leaning more towards keeping my 900 how it is
The tuning is 100% great, not half of anything! Turf mode does not work, but customers wanted the tuning anyways. We have been hounded by ranger owners for 2 years now to get this tuning done. As much as we would like to have everything perfect for release, people did not want to wait any longer.

I agree, I want the extra power and I know it's there just waiting to be tapped into, but I want it to stay reliable. I think for 700.00$ it should have all the bells and whistles, like turf mode. Heck a programmer for my Cummins is only 600.00$. I know power cost money, but these things are expensive from the get go and to charge that much it should be tried and tested..
Your cummins does not have nearly the torque limiters of these RZR's. It's very easy to adjust injector timing, fuel map, and boost map... ect on most diesels. We of course adjust fuel and timing, but the other values of custom programming are a huge amount of work.

The problem is that Bikeman says this may be the best you get. They don't know when IF EVER they will have turf mode figured out. Its a code thing that they don't have the key to. They said this up front. People wanted it like it is and they provided it.
Exactly. We still want it to have turf mode and are trying to come up with a solution.

-Mike

#87 ·
How many magnet weights would y'all suggest me adding? My normal elevation ranges from 800-1500'. And how many for when I go to Colorado? Elevation from 9000-13000'?

#89 ·
Keep in mind that lightening weight without spring changes can result in belt slippage. You really need to do it right with a clutch kit.

Chris

#90 ·
Bingo.

Buying the tuner and trying to save a few bucks with a home brew clutch kit is taking steps backwards to the whole purpose of doing the tune to start with. Miles ahead just going with what BMP offers.

#92 ·
Clutching done. 8200 RPM's and 65mph in my crew

Reactions: joeyfamcrew1022
#95 ·
53 mph turning 6250 RPM's.

#104 ·
bikeman says a 3 seater ranger will hit 75 mph

#97 · (Edited)
So what weight did it end up being? Around 55? Is it quick? Night and day difference? Worth the $ spent. Any buddies have one to run against? And these guys are right about the springs but front spring is more for engagement unless way to stiff but your engagement would be super high then. The back spring is more for up shift rate. Keep in mind they do work together and spillage can occur if you don't make them work together properly.

#98 ·
So what weight did it end up being? Around 55? Is it quick? Night and day difference? Worth the $ spent. Any buddies have one to run against?
It's night and day difference. The 2014 RZR 4 800 I raced when my crew was factory beat me by 5+ lengths and was still pulling from me. Now after clutching and the tune install, I have made up the difference and then some.

The weight I believe is 59.8 grams. I think the arms were 57 grams alone. Maybe Bikeman will validate this for us. I added two 1.4gram weights to each arm. My crew now turns 8200 RPM's. And it's a steady 65mph.

Below is the race after clutching.

#99 ·
This race he jumped me by 1/2 a length and on the big end I was gaining on him, but we ran out of road.

#101 ·
I bought the speed and power kit. I'd do it again in a heart beat!! I have better low, mid, and high end power. Basically more power all the way around. It really isn't difficult to change the clutching. I didn't remove the primary. I left it on the machine. Just your basic tools and its done. Took maybe 30 minutes just for the clutching. There are great videos on youtube, but I didn't find any on changing the weights with it still on the bike.

#103 ·
What's the stock rev limit? Is there a speed limiter? After bikeman tune, what's the rev limit? Is ideal shift out 8,200rpm like you're experiencing? As you lighten weight in primary, you'd normally soften the primary spring otherwise your engagement rpm and top shift out rpm would be too high.

Back when I worked in the UTV magazine industry('07-'11) Bikeman participated in quite a few of our project vehicles, exhaust shootouts, etc. In fact, they won the exhaust shoot out on the RZR 800's with the highest overall gain across the broadest rpm range. One of our first ranger builds we had nitrous, clutching, full motor mods on a ranger and it was super fast. They really
know their stuff...now they just need to get the turf mode to work with their ecu. :)

Chris

#107 ·
What's the stock rev limit? 6250 Is there a speed limiter? Mine only hit 53 factory After bikeman tune, what's the rev limit? Mine is 8200 after adding the correct weights in the arms Is ideal shift out 8,200rpm like you're experiencing? As you lighten weight in primary, you'd normally soften the primary spring otherwise your engagement rpm and top shift out rpm would be too high. That's exactly what the kit comes with

Chris
See edits added in red

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.