Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

delay in my throttle response

This is a discussion on delay in my throttle response within the Ranger Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; I have an 06 with a few mods....a dune clutch kit is one of them....when I start off I seem to have to push the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: delay in my throttle response

(Eric) Starting Member bugman696's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

delay in my throttle response

I have an 06 with a few mods....a dune clutch kit is one of them....when I start off I seem to have to push the pedal down quite a ways and then the belt engages and it jumps pretty hard....is there something I can do to get rid of this play....thanks a bunch

Supporting Member
    (Curt) PRC Team Leader carnivore's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    I would say your clutch is set up wrong. The easy thing to do is call Dale at Dirty Dawg Performance and have him set ya up, hes great with Rangers. 651-340-1129
    Curt
    2012 RZR XP4 900 from Ball Equipment
    Racer Tech:
    Roll cage, Nerf bars, A arms, and bumper,
    DDP clutch

Member #
    Member #
    The weird thing is that it has just recently become worse....I have not really had this problem for the last year 1/2.....my belt seems to be ok but I am not that handy with the tools and the clutch scares me a little, not a lot but a little ....

(Chase) 1000+ Member Rabbit Chaser's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Bugman so when you take off your motor revs up with no response and when it does catch it goes like normal? I would say that your belt is getting worn is why it is getting worse.

I would call Dale and tell him what you have; spring color, weights, helix, and what your ranger is setup like, and he will help you out. He is great with the rangers.
    07 Ranger XP DDP Cam, DDP Clutch Kit, Boondocker, 26" bighorns
    09 RZR DDP Cam, Head porting, Bored Throttle Body, 11.2.1 Pistons DDP Complete Big Air kit DDP Custom ECU, DDP Custom Secondary Helix, DDP Adjustable Clutch Weights, LTE Dual Exhaust Watermark Custom paint, 26" Bighorn Tires on Vision 14" Buckshot wheels Dragon Fire Racing shifter, and harnesses, Racer Tech 2" lift kit, Walker Evans Racing Shocks, SuperATV 1.5" wheel spacers

Member #
    Member #
    And it could have some sticking weights that takes some RPM's to get them moving. The clutches aren't that difficult but do require some attention from time to time. Dirt and dust and just the residue from the belt can cause these problems and there are bushings that can just wear out. Calling Dale would be a good move if you're not comfortable with looking at it.

07-700xp up graded to a
    2010 -S with a few goodies
    GordyParker, Az/Bondurant, WY

Member #
    Member #
    thank you guys for your help, i really appreciate it...I will give him a call and see if we can get this thing figured out.....

thanks a bunch

Eric

(Steven) Regular Member sdgood1's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

EASY!

Hi Eric, I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to working on these rangers, but I just finished doing the springs and weights and secondary from Dale and it was really EASY. With the instructions and the pics from this website the change out was simple. Also had some phone conversations with Dale at DDP just to make sure what I did was right.
    One thing I noticed when I pulled the old weight off the bolt going thru them, the pivot for the weight had a lot of rust on them, this could be some of what your getting. My 2 cents worth
    Steve
    08 700 XP silver edition
    2" lift, 27"bighorns, warn winch,DDP clutch kit, DJFAB mud kit and more
    PROPEOPLE, ANTIPOLITICIAN

Member #
    Member #
    Thats encouraging, thanks.... I can fiddle with it a little bit but am not that confident in my own skills.... I was looking at the box my current clutch came in and it is a dune clutch from EPI.... at least according to their website it says it is for a stock motor.... mine has a bored out throttle body exhaust and some kind of fuel tuner that I cant seem to make work either.... Maybe its time for me to put a little upgrades into my well deserved ranger....

I will definitely give him a call tomorrow and see what we can do to make my dunes ranger beat my buddies rhino....

Thanks for your help

(Chase) 1000+ Member Rabbit Chaser's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    With a little work a Rhino should be not problem!
    07 Ranger XP DDP Cam, DDP Clutch Kit, Boondocker, 26" bighorns
    09 RZR DDP Cam, Head porting, Bored Throttle Body, 11.2.1 Pistons DDP Complete Big Air kit DDP Custom ECU, DDP Custom Secondary Helix, DDP Adjustable Clutch Weights, LTE Dual Exhaust Watermark Custom paint, 26" Bighorn Tires on Vision 14" Buckshot wheels Dragon Fire Racing shifter, and harnesses, Racer Tech 2" lift kit, Walker Evans Racing Shocks, SuperATV 1.5" wheel spacers

Member #
    Member #
    the primary spring is mainly the engagement, there is some good and bad things to this, one is usually a higher engagement can get big tires rolling better, bad part is it can be a pain, the clutch weights don't have anything to really do with engagement, so you may want to try a different spring in the primary, i've always been fond of the heelclicker clutch kits in the polaris, as the adjustable weights can get finer tuning to where you want to be
    Dave

09 Polaris Ranger XP Camo
    08 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 Camo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links