Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Ranger vs Jeep again

This is a discussion on Ranger vs Jeep again within the Ranger Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; The wife is pushing pretty hard to get the Jeep Wrangler so she and my daughter can follow me on the forest roads we ride. ...

Thread: Ranger vs Jeep again

(Jeff) Starting Member jefffoxsr's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

Ranger vs Jeep again

The wife is pushing pretty hard to get the Jeep Wrangler so she and my daughter can follow me on the forest roads we ride.
    I have never had a JEEP Wrangler offroad so I don't know what the ride is like over 15 mph.

I think the Jeep would ride very rough and she wouldn't be able to keep up with me. This is what happened when she tried to follow me with our GMC Yukon a few times this year. The ride was so rough she really couldn't go over 15 mph.

I'm pushing for the Ranger because I told her I think the Ranger would ride MUCH softer over the terrain on the easy forest roads we ride.

For those of you who have driven BOTH offroad
    Is this true or not?

My Rhino rode very soft over bumps. Does the Ranger ride rougher or softer than the Rhino on small offroad bumps?

Thanks.
    2008 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI Blue

2006 Yamaha Rhino 450 (sold)
    2008 KTM 450 EXC Motorcycle
    2006 Honda CRF 230 Motorcyle
    2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 (sold)

Supporting Member
    (Jerry) Moderator/Rally Committee commanderjjones's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    The Ranger is a smoother ride than the Rhino and MUCH smoother than any Jeep or truck.....no comparison between the Ranger and a Jeep. Not to mention that the Ranger will go many places that a Jeep simply can't.

So tell the wife I've gotta back you up on this one .
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

2012 RZR XP4 LE liquid silver / 2006 Ranger XP LE, midnight red, built 10/25/05

Member #
    Member #
    I think the Jeep would be the smoother ride because of the suspension ~~~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWtfg...1&feature=fvwp

Be careful though, she might want to make new friends ~~~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru6AtMYtp5w&NR=1

I'd like to see a Ranger go where some of these Jeeps do ~~~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gONe...eature=related
    So easy, even a Kaveman can do it!...

Member #
    Member #
    I have a jeep (and of course a Ranger) and there is no way that it will go where my ranger can! Where it does go it is a much harsher ride that my Ranger.
    John

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I have crawled up ledges in my CJ that that my Ranger would just run into. Since my CJ is an older Jeep it is narrower then the newer one and is about as wide as my Ranger. The Grand Cherokees are very capable vehicles stock.

I wheeled with a family a few summers ago in my CJ and it was a very hot day. They were all cool with the air conditioning and comfortable with the plush interior.

(Jim) Veteran Member locutus555's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

Ranger vs Jeep

Hello,

I run a Wrangler and a Ranger, first of all the Ranger is narrower than the Jeep so will go lots of places the Jeep won't.

Its comparing Apples to Oranges, they are very specific machines and I wouldn't trade either of them, depends on what you want to do with them.

The Jeep has a full frame, a great heater, will pull a good sized trailer, will run at hiway speeds.

The Ranger is my choice for around the homestead, hauls alot of stuff and its my portable work station for going down into the swamp or in the woods for building projects or repair work on equipment, water tanks, etc.

Take Care, Jim

Ranger 6x6 2005
    "Beer is Proof that God Loves Us" Benjamin Franklin
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night, only because Rough Men (U.S. Army Rangers) stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I have owned both Jeep and Ranger. I did mostly trail riding with my Jeep and Rangers. On those rough old trails you can ride all day in a Ranger without feeling all beat up at the end of the day. My choice hands down for what I do is the Ranger.
    Ken

1324 Roadrunner 12/29/05

Casa Grande, Arizona

www.3dflags.com

Member #
    Member #
    I own both and love both.... My jeep is my work horse at the lease. It is still street leagal and I love to drive it around town. The Ranger was really bought for the wife and kids to drive. It is easier to handle then my jeep, and I think and much softer riding. There are many things they can both do, but many things that either one or the other excels at.

Oh, and that is my winch cable tied to that blind fixing to pull it over the replace the box. And notice the other jeep on the other side with its winch fixing to let it down slow so it doesn't slam. Rangers aren't heavy enough to do that......you got to tie them to something or they slide!!!!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'd say they're about equal...My Jeep pulls my RZR on the highway and my RZR pulls my Jeep up the slipery trails.

Links