Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Ranger won't stay running

This is a discussion on Ranger won't stay running within the Ranger Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; OK Guys, I have a 2009 Ranger XP that I have just started having some issues with. Couple of questions if I may: 1. Will ...

Thread: Ranger won't stay running

Member #
    Member #

Ranger won't stay running

OK Guys, I have a 2009 Ranger XP that I have just started having some issues with. Couple of questions if I may:
    1. Will the ranger continue to run if you unhook the battery while it is running?
    2. What voltage should the pos and neg battery cables show when running?
    3. Where is the best place to source batteries?
    4. What could cause the electrical system to not charge the battery and what codes would it throuw?

As you can tell I may have some issues with the battery, electrical system and just hadn't had time to completely diagnose what is going on so any help with what to focus on based onthese questions will help.

Thanks

(Kenneth) Veteran Member Jaketye's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    1. My guess is yes...but I have not tried it.
    2. With a healthy battery and charging system you should see around 14 volts.
    3. Try a local source for a lead acid battery. For an AGM such as Odyssey try the internet.
    4. Defective rectifier, bad stator, loose or broken cables to name a few.
    2012 Ranger XP 800 EPS Sunset Red LE.
    Lock n Ride Half Windshield, EMP Rear Bumper, Lock n Ride Cargo Boxes, Warn XT40 Multi Mount Winch, Odyssey PC925 Battery with SurePower 1314 Separator, Lock n Ride Tie Downs, Seizmik Mirrors, Lock n Ride Center Seat Console, Polaris Cab Cargo Bag, Grab Handles, QuadGear Double Gun Bag, ITP SS 216's with 26 inch Blackwater Evolutions, the list goes on...

Supporting Member
    (Jerry) Moderator/Rally Committee commanderjjones's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Welcome to PRC, Hank.

Jake covered most of it for you, but her's my 2 cents worth.

I don't think that they will continue to run with the battery unhooked. It seems like I read something about this a year or so ago and was sort of surprised.

If it's not the battery but the charging system, you probably have a bad voltage regulator or a loose wire to the stator.

As far as batteries go, I highly recommend an AGM battery. They're much better than a standard lead acid version. Although they are not cheap, many members really like the Odyssey battery.
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

2012 RZR XP4 LE liquid silver / 2006 Ranger XP LE, midnight red, built 10/25/05

Links