Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

In serious need of winch wiring help (Polaris 4500 lb winch)

This is a discussion on In serious need of winch wiring help (Polaris 4500 lb winch) within the Ranger Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; I've read all of the posts on here regarding different winch issues and wiring but I'm going to post my specific issue and see if ...

Thread: In serious need of winch wiring help (Polaris 4500 lb winch)

(Chris) Starting Member bonehunts's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

In serious need of winch wiring help (Polaris 4500 lb winch)

I've read all of the posts on here regarding different winch issues and wiring but I'm going to post my specific issue and see if anyone might be able to help me.

I'm installing a Polaris brand 4500 lb multi-mount winch. First, the instructions are laughable. I've got the contactor installed and the blue/yellow wires run and attached to the appropriate lugs (I think). From there, it's a puzzle. Here are my questions:

1. Does anyone have a better set of instructions you could send me?
    2. Can you confirm which wire connects to "1 and 2" posts on the winch itself?
    3. Would you connect the positive wire from the contactor to the battery or the buss bar?
    4. The contactor has a connector that comes out of it with a green and black wire and a separate brown wire with a ring terminal. What does that connect to (see addl question below)?
    5. The switch from the gearshift has NO connector on the end, just bare wires and some splicers which I assume are to be installed into the wires from the contactor. Those wires are black, green and red. If they connect to the connector from the contactor, please tell me what goes with what?
    6. What is the connector for coming from the contactor?
    7. The remote switch wires are also red, green and black. The green wire is very short. How/where should those be connected?

Unfortunately Crew and winch are 3 hours away where I have no wireless connectivity so i have to get detailed info to take with me.

Thank you!

(Bane) Regular Member Chessieman's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Give them a call and they will help you out and maybe email you a better diagram some better information. I installed a 4000 lb, vantage on mine and the instructions with it were pretty good.

Member #
    Member #
    Thanks for the note. I DID call Polaris customer support and they only had the same instructions that came with the winch. Nothing better. That's why I'm hoping someone here has some better insight.

(Darryl) Regular Member prairieman's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Try the Warn website

2012 800 XP
    Marshall Motoart 2" lift
    Marshall Motoart 5.5 Rear cage/seat
    27" Mudzillas on ITP ss212's
    SSV Works sound bar
    Warn Provantage 4500lb Winch
    Cobra axles (just rear for now)

(Bane) Regular Member Chessieman's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I am sorry, I misread it to be a Warn winch, although they should hook up similar. There is a detailed writeup with pictures on the site somewhere that shows the installation of the Polaris winch. Cant remember where, but it should help you.

Member #
    Member #
    I just talked to a tech who confirmed that my wires should have had a female connector to match up to the contactor (but they didn't). Also, he confirmed that the brown wire with a ring terminal coming out of the contactor should have been connected to the black lug terminal on the contactor. I'll check it out tomorrow and see if that fixes my issue.

Thanks all!

Links