PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

What # winch do I need?

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Gadestroyer74 
#1 ·
Have a new 570 Crew.

What # winch do you recommend?

Thanks for the advice.

#2 ·
Depends on what you're going to do with it. If you aren't using it much, and only for pulling yourself or a friend out occasionally, go light (3000#). More use, heavier machines, big tires, deep mud, go bigger. Light winch usually will winch faster, if that matters, you really need to give us some more info for better responses.

#3 ·
For general on the farm and light trail riding, I'd consider 3000# the minimum. If you're a mudder, I'd probably go 4500#.

I have a 3500# on my RZR S and have been happy the few times I've used it.

#4 ·
I would never go less than 5k on a sxs. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. Simple as that in my eyes

Reactions: Grundo and RedBeard
#7 ·
I have a 6k...like Josh stated above its better to have to much than not enough.

#8 ·
Firearms, atv's, women and winch's too.....bigger is always better...:positive:

#9 ·
Welcome to PRC! Like Daniel said, we really need more information on your riding environment, but generally anything between 3500 and 4500 would be a good choice for a 570. Remember that with a snatch block, 3500 becomes 7000, and 4500 becomes 9000! Similarly, a 6000 with a snatch block becomes 12000 and that is a potential frame bender! There are a bunch of articles on the web on proper winching practices and techniques--well worth reading before you make your final choice!

#10 ·
I would suggest getting a winch with synthetic rope. There are many debates (durability, etc.) over which to purchase, but one item is factual, the safety factor favors the synthetic rope. Both types (steel and synthetic) are very strong, but steel under load stores potential kinetic energy and when it breaks, the energy is released and snaps violently. On the other hand, synthetic rope under load will fall harmlessly to the ground if snapped.

#11 ·
I have a 2015 ranger 900xp and just out a kfi 4500 stealth on mine with synthetic rope I don't bog or anything. I also added big dawg bumpers I like the added weight of the winch and bumper on the front of the ranger. It says the winch weighs 33lbs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.