Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

fuel tank leaking from top

This is a discussion on fuel tank leaking from top within the RZR Discussions forums, part of the Polaris RZR Forums category; Having a fuel tank leak problem. Topped off the fuel tank and noticed fuel weeping from fuel tank cover that has fuel line, vent line ...

Thread: fuel tank leaking from top

(Ray) Starting Member trencherman1820's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

fuel tank leaking from top

Having a fuel tank leak problem. Topped off the fuel tank and noticed fuel weeping from fuel tank cover that has fuel line, vent line and fuel level sending unit. How does this cover come off. It has six screws that don't seem to loosen. I suspect they have nuts on them from the inside of the tank. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ray

(Leonard) 1000+ Member Sandblaster's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    The nuts are pressed into the plastic of the tank. Hard to get loose because they spin in the plastic. IF one can get them loose, then one might find a gas proof liquid to "glue" them back in.
    Sandblaster

http://oohva.org

Member #
    Member #

fuel tank leak

Any one else have this problem? I thought there was a recall on certain tanks about a year ago. I remember checking my tank number and was not on the recall.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Auto parts stores have products to repair fuel tanks, that may work.
    Doug, NE Pa.

Member #
    Member #
    Did a little research. There was a recall on RZR built mid August through mid October of 2007. I remember that mine was not in the recall originally back in December of that year. So yesterday for grins I called the local dealer to see if there was anymore recalls. Asked for my vin number and said mine was not on recall. He also informed me of Polaris not selling a gas tank gasket. They will only sell you an entire tank period for liability purposes. So even if you need a new fuel pump for your machine you will need to buy an entire tank assembly. I was told it's over 500 dollars. I called Polaris direct and they told me they could not do anything for me and to see my local dealer. Dealer said they could submit for warranty but there last one was denied for the same reason. Going to the dealer this afternoon to submit paperwork. If my machine was assembled one week later it would of been covered under warranty. Still wondering how many other machines out there have this same problem.

Member #
    Member #

Re: fuel tank leak

Quote Originally Posted by trencherman1820
    Any one else have this problem? I thought there was a recall on certain tanks about a year ago. I remember checking my tank number and was not on the recall.
    I had a guage that would show empty then full. Turned out it was sticking inside of the tank. Had to bend the float around a bit to keep it from hitting the inside wall of the tank. In the process I spun several tank screws loose. I fixed them with solder??? I pulled the brass screws then soldered all kinds of nasty bumps and teardrops on the sides of the screws. Then I took channellocks and pushed them back in with the CLs jaws inside and out of the tank. They worked perfect and sealed the tank. I also greased the o-ring.

(mark) Starting Member deviousracing's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    i have the same problem on mine, i got new brass bolt things from the hardware store, they were threaded on the inside and the outside, so they screw into the plastic, but now i think my o-ring is messed up, does anyone know what size o-ring to buy, polaris doesnt sell it
    08 RZR LSR mid travel HIDS IPOD GPS

Member #
    Member #
    The dealer finally called today to tell me Polaris will not cover under warranty. I thought there was a slight chance since my manufacture date was so close to the original recall. Kind of wonder why it took a whole month to give me an answer. So I chose to seal the top of the tank with a steel epoxy puddy made for gas tanks they sell in auto parts stores for $5. I didn't want to deal with removing the brass nuts that spin. Tank is a terrible design making it difficult to service. Might go with a fuel cell in the future if I have to replace.

(scott) 1000+ Member imported_rzrwrecker's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    you can buy a replacement feul pump at auto zom=ne 92 jeep 6cyl

Links