Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Quiet Muffler...finally

This is a discussion on Quiet Muffler...finally within the RZR Discussions forums, part of the Polaris RZR Forums category; GOING INTO MY FOURTH YEAR OF OWNING THE RZR I WAS FEELING THE NEED TO MAKE IT QUIETER. I HAVE READ ALL THE POSTS THAT ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quiet Muffler...finally

(Larry) Starting Member badcompany's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

Quiet Muffler...finally

GOING INTO MY FOURTH YEAR OF OWNING THE RZR I WAS FEELING THE NEED TO MAKE IT QUIETER. I HAVE READ ALL THE POSTS THAT I COULD FIND ON THIS SUBJECT BOTH HERE AND OTHER SITES WITH NO SOLUTIONS. THIS GOT ME THINKING ABOUT WHAT OPTIONS I HAD TO MAKE THIS THING QUIETER FOR DAY TO DAY USE, AND WOULD NOT BREAK THE BANK.
    I DON'T CARE IF I LOSE 2 MPH ON THE TOP END OR IF I CAN BEAT MY BUDDYS IN A DRAG RACE, I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK AT NORMAL LEVELS TO MY CO PILOT WHILE RIDING AND ENJOY THE MOMENT OR GO TO THE HUNTING BLIND WITHOUT SPOOKING EVERYTHING WITHIN A MILE OF ME..
    I DID A LOT OF INTERNET RESEARCH AND THIS IS WHAT I CAME UP WITH.
    AUTOMOTIVE EXHAUST.
    THE RZR HAS A 1-3/4 OD MID PIPE THAT DISCONNECTS EASILY FROM THE STOCK MUFFLER AFTER REMOVING THE BED AND THE STOCK CLAMP.
    I DID A LOT OF INTERNET RESEARCH TO FIND OUT THAT MUFFLERS ARE SPECKED BY MAKE MODEL AND YEAR OF VEHICLE, NOT BY SIZE.
    YOU NEED TO FIND A MUFFLER THAT IS 1-7/8 ID INLET AND OUTLET AND 6 OR 7 INCH OD ROUND AND 11 TO 14 INCH IN LENGTH, NOT INCLUDING THE TAIL PIECES. THE MUFFLER SHOP CAN BEND A TAIL PIPE TO MEET YOUR NEEDS. IF YOU LOOK AT THE RZR FROM THE SIDE, YOU WILL FIND A LARGE AREA THAT WILL TAKE A MUFFLER FROM SIDE TO SIDE AFTER REMOVING THE STOCK MUFFLER.
    A TRIP TO MUFFLER MAN IN TOWN SOLVED NY PROBLEMS. THEY HAD A MUFFLER ON THE SHELF BUT NOT IN THE BOX THAT WAS PERFECT. $25.00 PLUS $10 FOR BENDING THE TAIL PIPE. $35.00 NOT BAD!
    I INSTALLED IT WITH CLAMPS AND HANGER STRAPS, AND WAS ABLE TO TO USE MY OLD SPARK ARRESTOR AND TURN DOWN PIPE.
    ONE NOTE!
    DONT OVERTIGHTEN THE JOINT AT THE MID PIPE IF YOU EVER WANT TO GO BACK TO STOCK AS U TYPE CLAMPS WILL DEFORM THE TUBING.
    AS FOR THE PERFORMANCE.
    I CAN'T FEEL A DIFFERENCE IN HIGH OR LOW RANGE, AS THESE MUFFLERS WERE MADE FOR SMALL CARS WITH 15 TO 1800 CC ENGINES THAT SPIN AS FAST AS OUR RZR'S
    THE OLD SOUND WAS A RAAAAAAAA AT ELEVATED RPM'S.
    THE NEW SOUND IS ZZZZZZZZ AT ELEVATED RPMS AND QUIET WHEN YOU ARE CRUISIN.

badcompany

Member #
    Member #
    Nice.
    Any pictures?
    I don't own a RZR, how did you re-use the spark arrestor?
    "08" Ranger 6x6 700 EFI

Bighorns on Delta Series steel wheels, front only, Sliders, Mirrors, Horn, Flat bed, Front Platform, Air Ride suspension, Front lift, 2" & HD Springs, Special Camera Mounts, Ventilate Radiator Heat, Fresh Air Intake, Clutch, Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge, "In-Car" Intercom and radio, On-board Air

Member #
    Member #
    If it is so quiet, why are you shouting!

(All caps is shouting on the internet.)

Member #
    Member #
    Chris
    Here's the pics you requested. My help was tied up when i posted so we edited it tonight. As to the spark arrestor, the 08 rzr's had a removable spark arrestor that was inserted into the muffler tail piece and retained with a small bolt. That bolt also holds the downturn tailpiece in place that i had made.The reason for the tailpiece is two fold,first it directs the sound to the ground making it quiter and also keeps the exhaust fumes from entering the cab while driving by diverting them into the airflow underneath the unit.
    On another note, if caps are yelling then the all posts on the topic page are yelling on all topics.
    badcompany

(scott) Veteran Member rzrwrecker's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

to go where no man has gone before

(scott) Veteran Member rzrwrecker's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    my muzzys with the wisper cores are nice and quiet ! 1000 buckos !

to go where no man has gone before

Member #
    Member #
    I had to send this post to anyone interested in my feedback on the changes I made.
    The lake is frozen and my playground has grown quite large.
    I have been riding every night after work and can give all of you an honest evaluation on how this change is working .In my opinion it is around 50 percent of the prior noise level.
    If you watched the you tube vidio on the aftermarket strap on muffler by one of two manufactures you get an idea on the sound reduction. I'm ok with the current noise level as it it gives me what I was looking for but at a fraction of the price. If you are on the throttle it still barks but not as much. When you let off and cruise the sound is much lower. I drove up to a friends house the other day and he said that he could not believe how much quiter it was.
    For the price and being a slip on, if you are looking for a quiter ride this might be an option.
    This might be something for the full size rangers to look at.
    badcompany

(Gary) 1000+ Member want2beyounger's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Nice, very very nice.

Member #
    Member #
    Happy trails to all that have been following this post.
    This past December I made the modifications to my exhaust and have had a year of riding, both good and bad at times as we all do.
    With a year of riding behind me I can tell you that this doe's not effect the way it runs in any way. The rzr will still run to top speed as before on the flats , it will accerilate like before and for mud and deep water, this past spring on drummond island the 1st of May I pushed it through more deep water and mud than I thought it was able to.
    250 miles of hard riding with 8 atv's and me on mud, rock and hard pack and with water in all the low spots up to the headlights in places and no problems.
    This is, in my opinion the way to go if you are looking for quieter. That being said I believe it could be better.
    The muffler I found was 6 in round and about 12 in long, and doe's a good job in reducing the stock noise but there is a lot of room in in the area for a larger oval muffler to fit in.
    How cool would it be for our rzr's and rangers to be as quiet as as our trucks with no loss in performance?
    If we have a member who works in the muffler industry and can get to the bottom of the correct size in stainless with the right inlet and outlet and tailpipe combination and being to use the factory spark arrestor in the assembly , some of us will hit a home run with our needs.
    Good luck and a safe new year to all.
    Larry
    badcompany

Member #
    Member #
    You said you never found a solution on other sites but that other RZR forum has a long thread on doing this very thing. Including part numbers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links