2015 polaris ranger 900 xp hard to start
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on 2015 polaris ranger 900 xp hard to start within the 2015 Model Polaris Rangers/RZRs forums, part of the The RANGER STATION ~ Rangers and RZRs category; After my ranger sits a couple days it takes a good while to start. I actually have to step on the gas a little bit ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 2015 polaris ranger 900 xp hard to start

Ajp
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

After my ranger sits a couple days it takes a good while to start. I actually have to step on the gas a little bit to get it to fire off, it then fires off dies and then when I crank it over again it will start and run perfect the rest of the day. But unfortunately if I let it sit for a couple hours or over night it's a pain in the butt to start again. Steps have been done to eliminate the problem, new plugs, new map sensor, fuel sample was taken and it has good fuel, rail pressure was around 50 psi, and battery is new.. so I was told I probably have a fault injector and it's leaking down, has anyone had this problem? Bike has 40 hours on it and it's been a problem so far. I have other issues but I'll post on those later.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1327 times
    With quite a bit of confidence I'd say it's your battery. And not necessarily the fault of your battery. You likely have a small drain on the battery, lowering its voltage, which causes this issue.
    I have experienced the exact same thing a few times, but usually due to running my audio system for hours and hours and more often coupled with it being cold.
    2016 RANGER XP® 900 EPS
    TRAIL EDITION BLUE FIRE
    teshreve's 2016 Ranger 900 Build Thread

Ajp
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    hummm ya it has been cold here in bipolar texas, like i said though its a new battery, so would that cause it to start up fine a hour later, but then if it sits more than a couple hours it takes turning it over several times before it starts then stumbles, dies then cranks up and rund again good.?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1327 times
    The battery is probably fine but just has low voltage due to a small drain somewhere in the system. Do you have aftermarket electrical things? Audio gear, etc?
    These Rangers act schizo when the battery voltage is low. Or it could be a bad battery, even though it was replaced.
    What I can tell you is that I have a battery meter on my dash. It's pretty low resolution (red/yellow/green), but if it is red I have a 50/50 chance of it doing exactly what yours does. Starts but won't actually go, usually dies. Then on the 2nd start runs like a top.
    2016 RANGER XP® 900 EPS
    TRAIL EDITION BLUE FIRE

Ajp
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    ok i went home and charged the battery i have in the machine over night.. the next day later in the evening i tried to start it it cranked over and tried to start right away then stumbled and died, then i proceeded to try to start it again but this time it had to turn over serveral times before it finally cranked up ran rough then stablized out. all in the mean while it sure did smell super rich in my garage lol so last night i took my new marine battery for my boat and said hey what can it hurt im going to hook this up and see what it will do... well needless to say it did the exact same thing as i decribed before as for aftermarket stuff i have a wet sounds speaker bar and a winch thats it for now i just got the machine and trying to fix the used kinks out of it first.. i have a buddie with a 800 ranger he said his did the exact same thing and would run like a beast after it started and ran so one day he said screw it and he ordered new injectors, well a few years later it cranks and runs on the first attempt.. i just hate doing to throw parts at it thing haha to pray and hope method of fixing it..
    Last edited by Ajp; 01-13-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Is the bar hooked up directly to the battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1327 times
    Do you have a multimeter?
    It's starting to sound like it's not the battery, but checking for current while the machine is off will settle it.
    My method is:
    1) Loosen a battery terminal so you can easily remove it by hand (but is still making electrical contact)
    2) Put your meter in amps mode and adjust leads in applicable
    3) Place one meter lead on the battery post and the other on the clamp
    4) Slide the clamp off the post while maintaining a good connection on the meter leads
    5) Read how much current is flowing. And leave it on for a while to ensure no change in value.

The reason for the complication is that a lot of electronics, including those built-in to your Ranger will pull a ton of juice for a brief moment (not even a second), but enough to potentially harm the meter. In my case I have an ultra-capacitor (83 farads!) on my machine to keep the stereo from cutting out when I start it. And it draws ridiculous current when you connect it. Anyways, its just a safeguard and probably not necessary.
    2016 RANGER XP® 900 EPS
    TRAIL EDITION BLUE FIRE

Ajp
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    yes its going straight to the battery

Ajp
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    ok i will do these check tonight when i get off work!1 thank you i appreciate it!! also do you have a thread somewhere on you wiring? and fuse box along with this capacitor? pictures help me cause i am a visual learner.. thanks guys

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1327 times
    Not a lot of wiring infos
    But... teshreve's 2016 Ranger 900 Build Thread

And...

I did what is apparently very unusual and wired my fuse panel to be hot all the time (not key switched). I would totally do it the same way again.
    The super capacitor I used is here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I wired it in parallel to the input side of the fuse block. The idea is that as the battery voltage sags due to the starter, the capacitor maintains voltage by delivering current to all the accessories (including receiver and amp). It totally works. Before when I was listening to tunes and started the Ranger everything would stop playing, bluetooth would have to re-sync (sometimes unsuccessfully), and the tunes would stop for several seconds (or forever until I corrected something). Now this does not happen. Ever. Not once, woohoo.
    Guodnplenty likes this.
    2016 RANGER XP® 900 EPS
    TRAIL EDITION BLUE FIRE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links