Ranger EV - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Ranger EV

This is a discussion on Ranger EV within the Ranger EV Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; Originally Posted by REDBULL So here is what I found out; http://www.trojan-battery.com/ About-Us/MasterDistributors.aspx to find a Trojan Battery distributor. The warranty for the batteries will ...

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ranger EV

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by REDBULL
    So here is what I found out; http://www.trojan-battery.com/
    About-Us/MasterDistributors.aspx to find a Trojan Battery distributor. The warranty for the batteries will be covered by the
    battery manufacturer directly.

or
    http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TRJ...rranty0110.pdf

Looks like 4yrs.
    The 4 year warranty is for the Hydrolink watering system, not the battery.
    So easy, even a Kaveman can do it!...

Member #
    Member #
    Your right, My fault. Here is the battery supplier; http://www.usbattery.com/usb_us12vxc.html

Outside of that all I see that Polaris says is that, The warranty for the batteries will be covered by the battery manufacturer directly.

(Patrick) Regular Member rebbie's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    So I take it that if I have a problem with the batteries, I would have to contact the Battery Company directly and deal with them? That could be a real problem. If this is true I think I might have to pass on the Ranger EV!

Member #
    Member #
    I am confident that the dealers would do that if the unit was brought in for repair and a battery issue was found, we love warranty work.

(Patrick) Regular Member rebbie's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by REDBULL
    I am confident that the dealers would do that if the unit was brought in for repair and a battery issue was found, we love warranty work.
    That would be great! But I would want the dealer to put that in writting!
    Andy thanks for all your great information. Let us know how the new Ranger EV sells and what you are hearing from customers that own one!

Member #
    Member #
    More info now, talked with our dealer rep and the batteries have a 1yr warranty and any issues with the batts must be handled through the dealer network.

Honestly John Deere has been using this setup in the ev gators since 94 maybe longer. I use one here at work that is a 94 and At 3000hrs of heavy golf course use it had the batts change in 2002 when we traded it back in. It was loaned out to golf courses till 2005 when I started using it as a lot lizard to haul a geny and air compressor around to get old units up and running around our company property. in 2005 it had 6000hrs on it and Now today it has 6600 we swapped out the batts aug 2009 at the tune of $800.

Member #
    Member #
    The EV uses lead acid batteries, the only practical option at the moment. The good news is they're cheap, abundantly available, easy to recycle, etc. (after lead acid is it's what is in millions of cars around the world for the 12v system).

I expect the lifetime to be about 4 years in normal use. However, it might be possible to kill them within perhaps even as little as a year if you do daily full charge / discharge cycles. I doubt anybody would be able to do that, but on farms who knows?

So essentially the expected lifetime depends on how heavily you discharge them, cover 500 miles in maybe 30 trips, they will last much longer than if you do the same 500 miles in 10 trips (full discharge each time). I expect this is all explained in the user manual. Unlike modern batteries that we have came to be familiar with in consumer electronics with "memory effect" the opposite is true and you're strongly recommended to keep them fully charged rather than waiting for the batteries to become empty before charging.

I shouldn't fret too much about the batteries - as I say they're fairly cheap, and over the same running period with the ever-rising price of gas you ought to still expect a cost saving. From my point of view, you also bypass the need to worry about engine maintenance, engine oils, fewer gearcase oils, and no CVT whatsoever. Those that say they're underpowered and are missing the point. I would love one for work right now.

Things can only get better in the future. In 2014 chevrons patent on NIMH batteries expires (they bought the patent to kill off Toyota and GMs EV cars in the mid-90s and protect the demand for oil). Hopefully within a few years we will be able to start using them in our light duty vehicles including UTVs. Compared to lead acid they weigh less, have greater capacity, and last well over a decade... and the prices shouldn't be catestrophic either. I'm not holding my breath though, so I wouldn't be put off buying a Polaris EV.

Just noticed our dealer does the EV now, finally in the UK! Time to make further enquiries...

Member #
    Member #
    Id like to a lipo battery pack in one that thing would rip and last about 100miles too! the cost for the set would be spendy but very light! maybe some aftermarket company will make a hop up kit soon!
    2008 Polaris RZR Mod
    2010 Ranger XP LE EPS
    2008 Trophy Kart Elite
    1973 Suzuki LJ10
    Life Is Extreme So Build It That Way
    www.alaskaextrememotorsports.com

*** 907-495-7300 ***

Member #
    Member #
    Yep, that would be great (I assume you mean Lithium Ion). The cost as you say would be insane though, at least at present. Though they say LION is plummeting, and that there is no case for NIMH by 2014, I'm not convinced and am certain once production restarts on NIMH we'll start to see an affordable middle ground between LION and old fashioned lead acid.

Member #
    Member #
    yeah Lithium Ion in the remote control car world we call them lipo packs!
    2008 Polaris RZR Mod
    2010 Ranger XP LE EPS
    2008 Trophy Kart Elite
    1973 Suzuki LJ10
    Life Is Extreme So Build It That Way
    www.alaskaextrememotorsports.com

*** 907-495-7300 ***

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links