Overhearing and cuts out going up inclines
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Overhearing and cuts out going up inclines within the Ranger EV Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; One of our units seems to overheat easier than the others. Last year I had the controller replaced under warranty and thought it fixed the ...

Thread: Overhearing and cuts out going up inclines

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times

One of our units seems to overheat easier than the others. Last year I had the controller replaced under warranty and thought it fixed the issue but then it got cold so couldn't really tell. Late yesterday it was still 80F and after 20 minutes of riding it overheated again on mostly flat ground but with few light hills. Only 1 passenger and no cargo. Our other units don't have this issue and we can even add weight and do the same run in higher temps without issue. All of them have 26" tires and wheels so no difference there either. The other issue is that if you floor it up a very steep hill it will cut out. It does this even in cold weather while not overheating. If you do half throttle I have not seen it cut out yet. Anyone have any ideas? I'm taking it back to the dealer to have the codes check. Thoughts?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Sure looks like a fuel delivery issue to me via controls. I think taking it back is a great idea, but before doing so, I would give the air filter a good look.
    2015, Polaris Ranger 570 Crew, EPS
    2014, Honda, Rancher, Electric Shift and 4WD

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alloutdoors View Post
    Sure looks like a fuel delivery issue to me via controls. I think taking it back is a great idea, but before doing so, I would give the air filter a good look.

Its actually a electric EV so no fuel. But how do I change the title? Says overhearing vs overheating... LOL

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    You may have a:
    - faulty throttle position switch (solenoid).
    - a weak battery
    - a bad battery cable
    - a loose battery anode/cathode connection

Check the battery fluid levels.

I would check the main fuse block just behind the controller.

I would also consider installing the Polaris engine fan kit.

Kit includes Spal fan, aluminum mounting plate, hardware, wiring harness, relay, switch.

Installed myself. Bolt fan to plate, mount plate, thread wiring harness through tunnel, mount relay, carefully cut slot for switch in dash, mount switch, connect wiring.

NOTE: I black anodized the raw aluminum plate.

OPERATION: Current draw is minimal. Trick is to operate the fan BEFORE the OVERHEAT situation occurs. I.e. I run the fan always above 80*F (normal ops) AND anytime above 70*F if in 4WD/low speed and/or climbing hills.

Name:  IMG-20141008-00159.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  882.8 KBName:  IMG-20141009-00163.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  956.7 KBName:  IMG-20141009-00165.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  855.1 KBName:  IMG-20141017-00167.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  1.01 MBName:  IMG-20141008-00160.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  864.3 KB
    Last edited by DJWorm; 04-11-2016 at 04:27 AM.
    2011 Polaris Ranger EV LSV, OEM Winch, Back Glass, Rear Bumper, Brush Guard, Roof, Glacier II Plow with 5' Razor Blade, EV Motor Cooling Kit. GPS Speedo/Odo, Battery Mats, Battery Watering System, Battery Fluid Level Detectors, 1/2" full length Poly Skid Plate with Side Pod Wings, Safety Triangle, LED license plate mount, 6' whip antenna with flag and white strobe, collapsable billet whip mount, Polaris cover, 2" ball hitch. Good Day bed rack, game carrier, overhead gun rack, Moose gun rack. Gun dog bed kennel. Seizmik hood rack, light bar with 18w spot & 9w flood lights, outside rear view mirrors, rear view mirror, interior light. Superbright 18" HD dual row 45W amber LED fog light bar, 18w rear red LED fog. Battery Minder 12v, 1.25A Solar Charger/Maintainer/Desulphator with 15 watt solar panel and battery condition monitor, Battery Minder 120v > 12v, 2A Charger/Maintainer/Desulphator wired to Delta Q input, Battery Minder OBD-48 48v Desulphator. Thunderhawk inner fender guards, fender guards, A-Arm guards, cargo box seal kit. Highlifter Signature 2" lift Kit, Steering Stop Kit, Outlaw DHT front axles, Pro Series forward A-arms, Delrin bushings,1.5" billet wheel spacers. Moose 387 wheels, GBC Afterburn Street Force tires. Moose spare tire mount. Aluma UT 10 trailer. Polaris p2000i inverter/generator for backup recharging off grid. Pending: solar charging system, double adjustable shocks.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Installed a 9" radiator cooling fan in front of the drive motor behind the battery compartment blowing down both sides of the motor, switched in the cab. Mowed with the trail cutter from 0730-1430, thick brush, hilly terrain. Had 3-4 high temp warnings. The first one was 1.5 hour after starting, shut down for 10 minutes and continued. After 45 min the second warning, shut down, third an hour later. At this point I opened the passenger side to the battery compartment and felt the back side of the controller. The metal plates on back were very hot. I left the seat/storage bin open for the rest of the day and only had one more more warning towards the end of the mowing.

I believe the controller temp may have been causing the warnings because of the long period with no problems when I left the battery compartment open with more air ventilation. I plan to move the radiator fan to blow on one side of the motor as the factory install fan does and put a small high output fan in the battery compartment, blowing on the metal plates onthe controller with the passenger seat/bin removed on next mowing planned in Oct. I will update this thread with the results of the modifications.
    Name:  IMG_3536.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  2.52 MB
    Last edited by capnbo53; 08-15-2016 at 10:21 PM.
    2016 Ranger EV Avalanche Grey/Polaris Sport Roof/Seizmik Full Folding Versa-Fold Windshield
    Polaris Lock & Ride Pro-Fit Glass Rear Panel/KFI Rear Tube HD Bumper/Great Day Inc Quick Draw Overhead Gun Rack/Formosa UTV storage cover 120"Lx62"Wx75"H/Seizmik pursuit side view mirrors 18073/Polaris 2875320 2" Receiver Hitch Tongue and 2" Ball/Viper Elite 4,500 lb Wide Spool Winch - Polaris Ranger EX4500SE-BK65-MA11208-MA11901/Optima 31D Marine Deep Cycle Battery/Battery Tender 021-0156 Plus 12V Battery Charger/EZ turn signal and horn kit/MICTUNING 18W square LED Flood 60 degree back up light/Polaris 2879969 Rear View Mirror/Dragonfire Racing Removable Led Dome Light Kit 11-0001/Deflect-O RSMVT Slow Moving Vehicle Reflective Triangle/Deflecto 99-0325-00 Vehicle Placard Slow-Moving Vehicle Sign Mounting Kit/Pro Armor SIXR 14" wheels/ Grim Reaper tires 26/ 9.00/14R front, 26 11.00/14R rear, cargo bed liner, chain saw holder, Super Daves rear outer and shock bushings, atvguard shop front and rear bed mud protectors, gun grabber rifle holder.

Sponsored Links