Is my 2010 charger original?
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Is my 2010 charger original? within the Ranger EV Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; I just bought a used 2010 EV, and am brand new to this forum. I've read a lot of posts about early charging problems with ...

Thread: Is my 2010 charger original?

Member #
    Member #

I just bought a used 2010 EV, and am brand new to this forum. I've read a lot of posts about early charging problems with the 2010s, changing algorithms, etc., including that Polaris actually replaced the chargers in the 2010s. What should I look for to confirm whether or not I have the original (bad/dangerous) charge or the better/replacement charger?

Thanks in advance for the help. Its obvious that there is a boatload of knowledge on this forum.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    185 times
    Welcome to the forum. I don't have a clue when it comes to EV Rangers but, you've come to the right place. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to let you know.
    2013 Ranger 800 Crew - Sage Green
    30" Gorilla Silverbacks
    14" MSA Diesels
    4" Precision Offroad A-arm lift
    Precision Offroad front and back bumper
    Full front windshield
    Vinyl rear window
    Badlands 2500 winch
    2 - 40" LED lightbars
    LED dome light
    Custom black diamond plate top with matching radio box
    Pioneer CD/MP3 player
    4 - 6" Kicker marine speakers
    2 - 2" tweeters
    JL Audio marine amp

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times

The charger on our 2013 EV

The original charger has one cable on the left side, the new charger has two:

Name:  P4040012m.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  415.7 KB

Name:  P4040008.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  278.0 KB

Name:  P4040010.JPG
Views: 46
Size:  269.8 KB
    Last edited by Xfaxman; 01-05-2017 at 02:02 PM.
    Hold the Control key down and click on a picture or a Link, to open it in a new Tab.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Thanks,
    I'll check for the number of cables. Do I understand correctly the Polaris will replace the original?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    NO, Polaris will not replace the original. The OEM warranty was 6 months. Yours is out of warranty and you are not the original owner. However Polaris suggests you replace the charger IF it only has the single plug outlet.

The problem was the single outlet series burnt the connector pins in the plug due to overheat and high amps during the initial charging cycle. It may be OK now but sooner or later it will fail.

Some advocate changing the charging algorithm due to "boiling" the batteries. It is discussed more in depth on the other website. No matter which algorithm you use, you will still experience battery fluid loss due to recharging and evaporation.

I advocate meticulous battery maintenance and installing a battery watering system. Its like checking and changing the oil in an internal combustion engine "some maintenance required".

I bought a 2011 factory demo from the Polaris factory in 2012 as the original owner. My 1 plug outlet charger died with a burnt pin(s) last year. I had to replace it. Expensive.
    2011 Polaris Ranger EV LSV, OEM Winch, Back Glass, Rear Bumper, Brush Guard, Roof, Glacier II Plow with 5' Razor Blade, EV Motor Cooling Kit. GPS Speedo/Odo, Battery Mats, Battery Watering System, Battery Fluid Level Detectors, 1/2" full length Poly Skid Plate with Side Pod Wings, Safety Triangle, LED license plate mount, 6' whip antenna with flag and white strobe, collapsable billet whip mount, Polaris cover, 2" ball hitch. Good Day bed rack, game carrier, overhead gun rack, Moose gun rack. Gun dog bed kennel. Seizmik hood rack, light bar with 18w spot & 9w flood lights, outside rear view mirrors, rear view mirror, interior light. Superbright 18" HD dual row 45W amber LED fog light bar, 18w rear red LED fog. Battery Minder 12v, 1.25A Solar Charger/Maintainer/Desulphator with 15 watt solar panel and battery condition monitor, Battery Minder 120v > 12v, 2A Charger/Maintainer/Desulphator wired to Delta Q input, Battery Minder OBD-48 48v Desulphator. Thunderhawk inner fender guards, fender guards, A-Arm guards, cargo box seal kit. Highlifter Signature 2" lift Kit, Steering Stop Kit, Outlaw DHT front axles, Pro Series forward A-arms, Delrin bushings,1.5" billet wheel spacers. Moose 387 wheels, GBC Afterburn Street Force tires. Moose spare tire mount. Aluma UT 10 trailer. Polaris p2000i inverter/generator for backup recharging off grid. Pending: solar charging system, double adjustable shocks.

Sponsored Links