Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

cv boot replacement

This is a discussion on cv boot replacement within the Ranger Technical forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; I noticed grease leaking from rear cv boot. Does anyone have instructions, pics, or videos on how to replace the CV boot? Any help is ...

Thread: cv boot replacement

Member #
    Member #

cv boot replacement

I noticed grease leaking from rear cv boot. Does anyone have instructions, pics, or videos on how to replace the CV boot? Any help is appreciated

Supporting Member
    (Rich) PRC/SSW Moderator RZR Rich's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times

Re: cv boot replacement

Quote Originally Posted by duke417
    I noticed grease leaking from rear cv boot. Does anyone have instructions, pics, or videos on how to replace the CV boot? Any help is appreciated
    Polaris: CV Boot Kit Install

Gorilla:
    http://www.gorilla-axle.com/

How to video:
    http://www.gorilla-axle.com/videos.php?vck=2&vcik=14

Links/Info referenced from the 'Information Station' at out Sister site ... Side x side World ... www.sidexsideworld.com
    Rich

Member #
    Member #
    Make sure you have lots of rags and parts cleaner to get all the old grease out of the joint to avoid contaminating the new grease with grit. The first front axle I removed on mine was really, really stuck in the front diff so I like to put a little Kopper Kote on the axle shaft splines to keep them from seizing. However, some people have had trouble keeping the axle in place on the inside end, so maybe that isn't the best idea.

Also, make sure you have the right tool to install the clamps before you have it all torn apart. Remember, shop rate is $100 per hour around here so buying an overpriced $50 tool isn't a bad idea if I look at it that way. What you need depends on the type of clamp in the boot kit.

PS. That stuck axle issue was solved while I went on a 2.5 hour parts run from camp and my friends were more productive in the absence of my inhibitions about breaking something. One of them is an automotive mechanic who manages a tire shop and service station so he just needed me to, well, leave.
    Darcy
    2012 Rhino 700 Red, 26" Terra Cross
    2009 Grizzly 700 EPS camo, 26" MudBugs (His)
    2009 Grizzly 550 EPS camo, 26" MudBugs (Hers)

Member #
    Member #
    i am new to all of this and have discovered the "used" polaris I bought is really an "abused" polaris. In shop for head gaskets now and iam trying to save money by doing some myself. I could get the gorilla boot kit video to run. Are there any other videos or pics on how to remove axle from rear diff and how put on new cv boot? Thanks for all the help

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

--'09 700XP-- Home made roof, Dual Batteries,Viper 4500 synthetic, EMP CV Guards, Whelen Strobes
    2" Pro Lift, Snorkeled, blinkers, 55W Aux Lights w/guard, remote spotlight, STI 14" Blades/27" TSL Radial Swampers, Nerf Bars
    --'09 Browning Crew-- Viper Max 5000, 2" lift, Full Roof and Rack, Forward A-Arms, 27" Bighorns, Strobes
    Odyssey Batteries, Tunes on Top, EMP full Windshield, Nerf Bars, Front Brush guard with wrap sides.

Member #
    Member #
    That is exactly what i needed. i believe i could do that. If not iam going to tear this thing up good.

Supporting Member
    (Jerry) Moderator/Rally Committee commanderjjones's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    175 times
    It's a very straight forward job. Just knowing that you're thinking about doing the work yourself, you probably have the mechanical skill necessary and shouldn't have any problems. Good luck.
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

2012 RZR XP4 LE liquid silver / 2006 Ranger XP LE, midnight red, built 10/25/05

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you have some rubber gloves, wear them. the CV grease takes forever to get off your hands.
    2011 Polaris Ranger XP EPS - High Lifter Lift Kit, High Lifter Raidal Outlaws, High Lifter custom roof extension for rear seats, High Lifter Snorkel Kit

2006 Polaris Sportsman 90
    2009 Polaris Sportsman 50

Member #
    Member #
    I agree the process of cleaning and replacing the CV grease is a relatively easy one, but if you are not using the polaris grease kit with the specified type and amount of grease what CV grease are you guys using and how much is enough?

Supporting Member
    (Jerry) Moderator/Rally Committee commanderjjones's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    175 times
    Quote Originally Posted by deblas
    I agree the process of cleaning and replacing the CV grease is a relatively easy one, but if you are not using the polaris grease kit with the specified type and amount of grease what CV grease are you guys using and how much is enough?
    There is a reference in the service manual about how many ounces to use.
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

2012 RZR XP4 LE liquid silver / 2006 Ranger XP LE, midnight red, built 10/25/05

Sponsored Links