Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

2007 Polaris Ranger 700 XP problem

This is a discussion on 2007 Polaris Ranger 700 XP problem within the Ranger Technical forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; Hello Everyone, New guy here trying to avoid dragging this thing to the dealer. I was wondering if the low fuel problem that seems to ...

Thread: 2007 Polaris Ranger 700 XP problem

(Bobby) Starting Member Hughstonb's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

2007 Polaris Ranger 700 XP problem

Hello Everyone,

New guy here trying to avoid dragging this thing to the dealer. I was wondering if the low fuel problem that seems to be so prevalent in these would prevent me from getting spark at the plugs? My gauge is flashing the low fuel warning, has plenty of fuel in the tank though, and I am not getting spark at the plugs. Wasn't sure if it cut off the spark when it thinks it's out of fuel? New plugs, new fuel, new plug wires, checked all fuses and the wires all seem to be in good shape. Battery has 12.8 volts. At the risk of sounding not so bright, I thought I would check with you guys before buying an ignition coil and possibly ECU. Do have a code 25 also on the panel when I check. I never worried about the fuel gauge before since we don't use it much and I just occasionally add fuel. The gauge is reading rock bottom now and then it quit starting.

Thanks in advance - Bobby

(Alan) 1000+ Member Rockin Ranger Rider's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Bobby, I don't think low fuel pressure would have anything to do with spark. Others will be along shortly
    Always seeking a higher path

Supporting Member
    (Jerry) Moderator/Rally Committee commanderjjones's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Welcome to PRC, Bobby.

As Alan mentined, low fuel or fuel pressure won't cause an ignition issue. I'd suspect bad plugs wires (I've seen a few), bad coil, or bad ECU.
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

2012 RZR XP4 LE liquid silver / 2006 Ranger XP LE, midnight red, built 10/25/05

(Adam) 1000+ Member POS POLARIS's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    no worries on the code 25. it flashes that if the computer ever gets confused about what gear it's in. as for the fuel level flashing, it's most likely the fuel level gauge acting up which is VERY common on these machines. I disabled my fuel gauge on my 07 by cutting the purple wire at the connector on top of the gas tank. if you do this give yourself enough room to splice the wire back together if you ever decide to fix the gauge. i just bought an 06 and older manual fuel level gauge (gauge in the gas cap) and that worked good for me.

as for why you don't have spark, my best guess at this point would be a bad coil. or ecu as you mentioned. it might be possable that a dealer could find out which one you need with a scan tool.... but by the time you pay for loading it up and troubleshooting it at the dealer, it might have paid for a new coil!

I can't say I've even had spark trouble on my machines, but others here have, and hopefully they'll weigh in with their 2 cents! good luck!

Adam
    -2006 700xp 2300hours /traded/
    -2007 700xp 1650hours /traded/
    -2012 ranger Diesel TURBO'D / 600 hours/traded/
    -2011 ranger XP / 650 hours
    -2011 ranger XP / 1450 hours
    -2012 ranger HD / 1250 hours

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final."
    Wyatt Earp

Member #
    Member #

Ranger spark

I really appreciate all the input. I think I'll start by putting a new coil in it since I've already done the plugs and wires. The ECU will come next if need be. I wish I didn't have to spend any money of course but I can justify it by thinking it's a few years old now and would need these stuff sooner or later. I have really maintained the heck out of this thing by doing every fluid change each season but then this popped up out of nowhere with the no spark thing. My brother in law is a big time mechanic and he and I couldn't find any indication of spark at either plug or the coil so hopefully the coil will be it. I checked for loose wires and wiring harness problems everywhere also, I think everywhere anyway, and came up with nothing. Will let you guys know if the coil solves the problem. I bought some stuff last time from MR Cycles and they gave me a world of crap about returning an owners manual so I'm looking for another good supplier if you guys know one. My closest local Polaris dealer is about 60 miles so I buy stuff on the web frequently to avoid the drive.

I just put new 28" wheels and tires on it so it's looking real good sitting in the barn now.

Thanks again!

(Alan) 1000+ Member Rockin Ranger Rider's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Bobby, if you scroll down the sponsor section there are folks that can supply your parts Ball Equip to name one
    Always seeking a higher path

Member #
    Member #
    Thanks again. Any thoughts on whether I should go aftermarket on the ECU and coil for performance or stick with OEM? Looks like some of the aftermarket stuff gives pretty substantial gains in speed. Don't want to trade reliability for performance though.
    Wow, think I just answered my own question.

Supporting Member
    (Jerry) Moderator/Rally Committee commanderjjones's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughstonb
    Thanks again. Any thoughts on whether I should go aftermarket on the ECU and coil for performance or stick with OEM? Looks like some of the aftermarket stuff gives pretty substantial gains in speed. Don't want to trade reliability for performance though.
    Wow, think I just answered my own question.
    If yours was an '05/'06, I'd recommend using the Sportsman ECU........but that will cause you to lose turf mode (rear diff' will remain locked) on your '07.

I'd call Dale at DDP. He can hook you up with a better ECU or reflash your old one.

I'm not aware of any aftermarket coils, but there may be some out there somewhere.....however they would offer little or no gain in performance. I'd just stick with the OEM on that.
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

2012 RZR XP4 LE liquid silver / 2006 Ranger XP LE, midnight red, built 10/25/05

Links