Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

2006 Polaris Ranger 700 flutter off idle

This is a discussion on 2006 Polaris Ranger 700 flutter off idle within the Ranger Technical forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; I bought the ranger with a bad ecu. I wasn't firing on one cylinder. I replaced it with a sportsman ecu to fix that. The ...

Thread: 2006 Polaris Ranger 700 flutter off idle

Member #
    Member #

2006 Polaris Ranger 700 flutter off idle

I bought the ranger with a bad ecu. I wasn't firing on one cylinder. I replaced it with a sportsman ecu to fix that. The problem I am having is that its got a flutter around 1200-1500 RPM. It will not accelerate smoothly until above that point. It idles good at low RPM and runs great up above 1500 or so. I have checked the TPS and reset it. I replaced the wires on the TBAP sensor...no change. I actually can't tell any difference running it with that sensor unplugged totally...except it sets off the check engine light. I do have a code 51 and 52, but the injector wires look fine. Do the TBAP's go bad? Any way to test it? Is one off of a 2008 the same? My brother has one that I might rob to try. Please help. I sold a Mule to go to a Ranger for the benefits of fuel injection and it really isn't much better yet.

Supporting Member
    (Jerry) Moderator/Rally Committee commanderjjones's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    Welcome to PRC, Tim.

You might need to adjust the TPS. Depending on what year Sportsman the ECU came from, it could need to be set at either .660 or .710 volts.

A broken wire to the TPS is another possibility. Mine did exactly what you're describing when it had a broken wire, so check those thoroughly.

It's very rare for the TBAP to fail, although it could be dirty. The 2008 sensor is the same, so try swapping them to see if there's any difference.

Since 51 and 52 are injector codes, I would also verify that you've got good fuel pressure. A weak fuel pump can cause it to show an injector code......and bad fuel pumps are a farily common issue.
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

2012 RZR XP4 LE liquid silver / 2006 Ranger XP LE, midnight red, built 10/25/05

Member #
    Member #
    Ok, I had forgot to mention that I had reset the baseline tps voltage and even adjusted the throttle stop to get the .660 and .710 settings. It seems to idle much better at the .660 voltage. When you adjust it up to around .710, it idles too fast and really approaches the "dead spot" in the throttle. I noticed the other day that if you slowly accelerate while in neutral, it will actually die if you don't go fast enough to get past that point. I'm going to check the tps again to make sure the voltage increases smoothly. I have cleaned the tbap, but it didn't make any difference either.

Supporting Member
    (Jerry) Moderator/Rally Committee commanderjjones's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    120 times
    Based on the above, it sounds like the TPS might be bad and that's where the dead spot is coming from.
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

2012 RZR XP4 LE liquid silver / 2006 Ranger XP LE, midnight red, built 10/25/05

Links