Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Soft Cab Installation

This is a discussion on Soft Cab Installation within the Ranger Technical forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; I purchased a soft cab last week and started installing it the other day. I am planning on doing a how to write up on ...

Thread: Soft Cab Installation

Member #
    Member #

Soft Cab Installation

I purchased a soft cab last week and started installing it the other day. I am planning on doing a how to write up on this thread as I go since the installation instruction basically say "install it". My question is to anyone who has installed one these. I have the front clipped on and have stretched it over the roll cage and the back Velcro or bottom edge of the back stops just before the channel at the base of the seat. I put Velcro on the back channel but any ideas on how to stretch it the inch or two I need to get it to hold on the Velcro?

Thanks,

Ed
    "Just remember every thing is easy once you know how to do it!" Me

2005 Limited Edition 500 Carb
    Tatou UTV Tracks Installed
    Glacier HD Plow
    Warn Winch 4,000lb
    Soft Top Cheap but Works!
    26" PWT Tires Steel Chrome Rims

(Brian) 1000+ Member Chiefmorton's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    I know exactly what your saying. I helped Poorfarmer put his on last winter and man did we ever have to pull on that thing. It was so tight that the velcro wouldn't hold it down so we ended up putting a few self tapping screws with big washers across the bottom of it.

Brian
    Brian M.
    Moorefield, Indiana PRC #1240

When in doubt, empty the magazine!

Member #
    Member #
    Chief,

Did you come up with any tricks on how you pulled on it?

Glacier HD Plow
    Warn Winch 4,000lb

Member #
    Member #
    Make sure it is in a warm place, that might help///
    jere (em42)

2013 900XP Sunset Red 11/3/12
    Tilt window/washer,Top,Canvas doors,
    multi/mount winch,

West Kentucky
    PRC# 346
    05 700XP sold to neighbor

(Brian) 1000+ Member Chiefmorton's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Not really, Mark was on one side and I was on the other and we just pulled pretty hard on it. And like Jere mentioned it makes it a little btter if the cover is warm. I wish I had a better answer for ya.

Brian<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by mechalloy

Chief,

Did you come up with any tricks on how you pulled on it?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
    Brian M.
    Moorefield, Indiana PRC #1240

When in doubt, empty the magazine!

Member #
    Member #
    Sorry for the long delay been a busy holiday. I will finally get to the step by step on how I did my installation. The kit comes with a generous amount of double stick Velcro.

First off, you need to put the canvas on first before putting any Velcro on. I put the back strip on first as you will see and there were problems. It is helpful to have some help since I didn't I got footprints on my windshield. I put mine on from the side but the installation says from the front. Make sure you fold the side going on first inside out to make it easier.

Next pull the cab over the roll bars in a close final position and pull down on all sides to make it even. Open the hood and then hook the plastic connectors under the windshield onto the edge of the stationary plastic. These are a bugger the ones in the center are fun because there is no room and you have to be able to get to both sides a once to get them to hook on, good thing I have long arms. The very end clips don't go on very good and the driver side didn't stay on. The cab has to go over the roll bar pulling on the clips.

Next go to the back with the bed up and pull down on the cab as much as possible. You can see in the pictures that mine was short several inches from going down all the way and I wasted a whole strip of Velcro since I put it on before checking the fit. To help pull it down you need another set of hands and I to place the canvas on the back between put two boards and clamped the ends so I could get more leverage pulling the cab down, but it still came short on the back.

To fix the problem I made a spacer out of hardwood I had laying around and mounted that two the two holes just above the u-bolts in the last picture using carriage bolts. I painted the exposed part black and put a strip of Velcro at a position that meets with the Velcro strip on the cab when I pull it tight. The next tow pictures show the extension and it mounted.

Next pull it tight and fasten Velcro on the back. I then hooked up the roof straps as shown in the picture below. Then I connected the side traps on the rear corner by the grab handle. There are two by the grab handle one set of straps have only Velcro and are used to tie up the doors if left open. The one with the plastic clasps are used to tie the cab down. I looped them around the grab handle and the back brace and pulled the strap tight (it has a loop you can pull to tighten).

Next pull the sides down as far as possible with the doors zipped up and mark where the double stick Velcro will be applied to the lower portions of the side of the Ranger. I should point out to clean these with Ethanol (mild alcohol make sure it doesn't eat the plastic like acetone will plus have some alcohol on hand after you finish!), and let them sit for 24 hours before sticking the cab to these. I cut strips so that it was only on the flat portion of the Ranger sides and cut the angle to match the angle they go on.

After this sit in a warm area for a day pull the cab tight and attach to Velcro all the way around and you are done. I put a defroster from Wally World on that is 180 watts, watch the wattage for the 500 since it can only charge 250 watts. It works great and keeps the windshield clear with on

Glacier HD Plow
    Warn Winch 4,000lb

Member #
    Member #
    I forgot to put some picks of the doors rolled back and tucked away withe the provided Velcro straps, they can also be easily zipped off.

In the end the cab fulfills its purpose and it great protection against the weather. The cab could be a little longer as I had to make an extension for the back to attach. Also I could not put Velcro on the bottom since it was just over an inch short of the floor.

Glacier HD Plow
    Warn Winch 4,000lb

Member #
    Member #
    Looks good...

Thanks for update...
    jere (em42)

2013 900XP Sunset Red 11/3/12
    Tilt window/washer,Top,Canvas doors,
    multi/mount winch,

West Kentucky
    PRC# 346
    05 700XP sold to neighbor

Member #
    Member #
    Mechalloy

I just got my cover and have exactly the same issues. This thing is short everywhere. I have left it on, in my heated garage and will try to stretch it , but likely I will make extensions for the back side, just like you did. Also I am going to make something on the doors to get the bottoms to stick too.
    Also I noticed now that the Ranger is MUCH MUCH noisier with a cab enclosure.

STill my goal was to get out of the elements, and now I drive the ranger around for fun again. not just to plow. I think overall, it's a real nice setup for the cost.

I bought a little coleman radiant heater, and man I am toasty!!!!
    07 Ranger XP green
    EZ brake
    Venom 4K winch
    Walmart cup holders
    clarion XMD4 stereo
    1200 power inverter
    spare battery
    POlaris Glacier plow
    homemade windshield
    Rubbersidedown 2in lift
    Cabela rear view mirror

Member #
    Member #
    Henry,

They don't stretch much so the extension on the back worked out well. The bottom of the doors is just touch the floor so I could Velcro them but I just left it like that and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Sure does keep the weather off, and the little defroster I have doesn't keep it toasty like your setup but I'm comfortable. Heck I left one door rolled up yesterday and it wasn't bad, I think keeping the wind off is a big help. My battery is struggling with the cold time to look for a replacement.

Glacier HD Plow
    Warn Winch 4,000lb

Links