Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Any good fix for a frozen throttle cable??

This is a discussion on Any good fix for a frozen throttle cable?? within the Ranger Problems & Solutions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; Got our first real snow yesterday, 8-10". Had a blast playing in the ranger, Only problem was my throttle stuck wide open. I had to ...

Thread: Any good fix for a frozen throttle cable??

Member #
    Member #

Any good fix for a frozen throttle cable??

Got our first real snow yesterday, 8-10". Had a blast playing in the ranger, Only problem was my throttle stuck wide open. I had to take the side off were the cable attaches to the throttle body and manually work it back and forth until it broke free. I do keep this parked in a heated garage and it was taken out twice yesterday. I dont see how water could of entered the cable. Can it just be condensate from temperature changes? Any idea how to cure this? It was only 20 degrees. Thanks
    Randy
    08 Midnight red 700 xp LE
    DDP stage one clutch, adjustable clutch weights and filter kit. HD front springs. front and rear windshield. Diamond plate roof. Jensen marine stereo with remote, SSV kick panel speakers. 4K winch. HID conversion. Front brushguard and rear bumper

(Brian) 1000+ Member Chiefmorton's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    If you haven't already try searching for this symptom, I know it's been discussed on here before and it seems maybe more in the RZR section then anywhere. I was thinking one member ended up injectiing anti-freeze or something in his cable with a syringe. I could've dreamed that but don't think so.
    Brian M.
    Moorefield, Indiana PRC #1240

When in doubt, empty the magazine!

Supporting Member
    (Jerry) Moderator/Rally Committee commanderjjones's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Brian is right.....somebody recommended antifreeze shot through a syringe. I believe he was (or is) also into snowmobiles and said that it was an old trick commonly done for those. I just removed my throttle cable and cleaned / lubed it with BelRay cable lube. Removing it isn 't THAT difficult of a job and the best way to do it since you have gravity working against you otherwise.....but another member had recommended using compressed air to blow out the mud/water (obviously, it will have to be thawed first), then lubing it without removing the cable.

I think most of the problem lies in how the cable is routed and lends itself to water being trapped in the low spot. Any water crossing deep enough to get up near the top of the throttle cable could introduce water into it. That water will stay there indefinitely, so the problem you're having now could be the result of a water crossing from months ago. I don't think that condensation is a likely culprit, but I guess it's a remote possibility. Unfortunately, it's not that uncommon and several of us have had this happen. I've tried to stay out of deep water after having that problem and luckily haven't had any freezing issues this winter like I did last year.
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

2012 RZR XP4 LE liquid silver / 2006 Ranger XP LE, midnight red, built 10/25/05

Links