Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

2009 700 ranger xp starter problem

This is a discussion on 2009 700 ranger xp starter problem within the Ranger Problems & Solutions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; my ranger starts fine when its cold but once it warms up it will not start at all ,when i try turning it over the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 700 ranger xp starter problem

(adrian) Starting Member misterman39's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

2009 700 ranger xp starter problem

my ranger starts fine when its cold but once it warms up it will not start at all ,when i try turning it over the starter makes a loud whining noise.

Member #
    Member #
    It's probably the starter bendix. Mine has went bad on my 09 Ranger.
    2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
    2012 Liquid Silver XP900
    2012 Liquid Silver XP4 900
    2012 Suzuki DRZ400S
    2012 Suzuki V-Strom Adventure
    06 Triton TR20 w/225 Mercury ProXS
    2012 Dodge 3500 Dually "DIESEL POWER"

Supporting Member
    (Curt) PRC Team Leader carnivore's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    88 times
    We have heard of that a few times here on the 09s. Like simonize said its likely the bendix.
    Curt
    2012 RZR XP4 900 from Ball Equipment
    Racer Tech:
    Roll cage, Nerf bars, A arms, and bumper,
    DDP clutch

(Harvey) Starting Member BDSUSA's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    My starter would not engage when hot with less than 50 hours - - the dealer replaced the bendix (warranty). Sounds like this might be a common problem with the '09 XPs.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Ours is going in for the same problem tomorrow along with a 22 code. I'll let the warranty take care of it before it runs out.

--'09 700XP-- Home made roof, Dual Batteries,Viper 4500 synthetic, EMP CV Guards, Whelen Strobes
    2" Pro Lift, Snorkeled, blinkers, 55W Aux Lights w/guard, remote spotlight, STI 14" Blades/27" TSL Radial Swampers, Nerf Bars
    --'09 Browning Crew-- Viper Max 5000, 2" lift, Full Roof and Rack, Forward A-Arms, 27" Bighorns, Strobes
    Odyssey Batteries, Tunes on Top, EMP full Windshield, Nerf Bars, Front Brush guard with wrap sides.

Member #
    Member #
    my friends 2008 does the same thing but not all the time and then it only whines a couple times and it starts goodluck with that cause polaris wont throw parts at it and my buddy had his to the dealer twice with them unable to duplicate the problem my suggestion if its still under warranty take it to dealer after you have taken it on a good long ride if its not then i think the other guys are right

Member #
    Member #
    fixed the problem with some grease on the bendix.

(Raymond) Starting Member raymond88's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    same problem here with the starter spinning free when hot. what kind of grease for the starter and bendix?
    http://onfinite.com/libraries/1572320/f50.jpg http://onfinite.com/libraries/1572340/ae2.jpg
    2009 Polaris Ranger XP 700,2" Highlifter kit, 28" AMS Swamp Fox Tires, Baja Dual upper spot lights/ Dual lower fog lights, Roof Mounted Dual Gun rack,Warn Xt 40

Member #
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by raymond88
    same problem here with the starter spinning free when hot. what kind of grease for the starter and bendix?
    i just used some polaris grease on the bendix but i still have to keep reapplying it every 2-3 months;i've also had a problem with the bolts on the cover to get at the bendix where they didn't want to bite on the threads once i took them out so i had to go with some longer bolts on some of the holes and one of them above the water pump went through a well or something and now it leaks coolant from the bolt hole. good luck!

(Raymond) Starting Member raymond88's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by misterman39
    Quote Originally Posted by raymond88
    i just used some polaris grease on the bendix but i still have to keep reapplying it every 2-3 months;i've also had a problem with the bolts on the cover to get at the bendix where they didn't want to bite on the threads once i took them out so i had to go with some longer bolts on some of the holes and one of them above the water pump went through a well or something and now it leaks coolant from the bolt hole. good luck!

Did you remove the starter at all or just the cover for the bendix. And are you referring to the Polaris Premium Starter grease or some other regular grease from Polaris. please specify thanks
    http://onfinite.com/libraries/1572320/f50.jpg http://onfinite.com/libraries/1572340/ae2.jpg
    2009 Polaris Ranger XP 700,2" Highlifter kit, 28" AMS Swamp Fox Tires, Baja Dual upper spot lights/ Dual lower fog lights, Roof Mounted Dual Gun rack,Warn Xt 40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links