Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Tire Wear

This is a discussion on Tire Wear within the Ranger Problems & Solutions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; I have a 2006 Ranger XP. In the past year I have started to notice a very inconsitent wear pattern on the front tires. Some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Wear

(Marc) Starting Member mmccoyharrells's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

Tire Wear

I have a 2006 Ranger XP. In the past year I have started to notice a very inconsitent wear pattern on the front tires. Some of the tire "knobs" are close to full tread at one end, and at the other almost wore right down to the tire. The wear pattern is the same with both tires. Is this typical? Could this be from plowing the driveway in the winter in AWD?

In the market for new tires. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Is the excessive wear on the inside or the outside of the tire. If it is on the inside part of the tire, there could be some excessive sag in the front end, This could be encountered with the additional weight of the plow.

You could install some rubber spring spacers or buy an optional front preloader kit for that model of machine which could help with the sag. You could also get a heavy duty set of front springs.

Finally, as far as Tires go, Maxxis Bighorns will get the most votes here on PRC. They are a great all around tire, that peform very well in a variety of terrain.

Good Luck
    Steve Lane
    PRC Member# 5117
    Sidexside World Member# 152

2010 Red Ranger Crew, Polaris Tip-out Windshield, Rear Panel, & Steel Roof and Boss Snow Plow from Ball Equipment.

Supporting Member
    (Jerry) Moderator/Rally Committee commanderjjones's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    175 times
    Ditto on the Bighorns. They are an awesome tire for all around use.

You may want to check the toe adjustment on your machine. Worn ball joints, wheel bearings, and tie rod ends can also cause tire wear issues. Mine wore the stock tires the same way and is doing the same to my Bighorns now that they are almost in need of replacement, so it may just be the nature of the beast.
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

2012 RZR XP4 LE liquid silver / 2006 Ranger XP LE, midnight red, built 10/25/05

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've noticed something similar with our 09. The front side of the lugs are worn less than the back side of the lugs.
    This is mostly on the front tires as well. Almost like the lugs are being shaven off as they leave the road surface versus first contact to the surface.

--'09 700XP-- Home made roof, Dual Batteries,Viper 4500 synthetic, EMP CV Guards, Whelen Strobes
    2" Pro Lift, Snorkeled, blinkers, 55W Aux Lights w/guard, remote spotlight, STI 14" Blades/27" TSL Radial Swampers, Nerf Bars
    --'09 Browning Crew-- Viper Max 5000, 2" lift, Full Roof and Rack, Forward A-Arms, 27" Bighorns, Strobes
    Odyssey Batteries, Tunes on Top, EMP full Windshield, Nerf Bars, Front Brush guard with wrap sides.

Member #
    Member #
    This is caused from riding on pavement or hardpacked dirt. these tires only run 8-12PSI and when on a hard surface the roll-out of the tire is different than a regular car/truck tire radial. it is a pretty common thing. Airing up the tires will help a bit next time

(James) Regular Member 65welder's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

big horns

I have read a lot of posts here where you all brag about bighorns. My only experience with them was bad. I watched a rzr-s with bighorns pulling out a stuck ranger and they filled full of mud and wouldnt clean out. They looked as smooth as inner tubes. my 09 xp has the pxt's on it and they seem to do quite a bit better in the same mud hole.
    2009 Ranger xp700 se: 3000lb superwinch; KFI winch mount; EMP aluminum a-arm guards; ABM 2" lift; 2" rear wheel spacers; 1.5" front wheel spacers; 28" swamp lites on black ITP SS108; fog lights; backup light; homemade soft roof; homemade cooler, toolbox, axe, and chainsaw rack. Welcome to your new addiction!

Supporting Member
    (Jerry) Moderator/Rally Committee commanderjjones's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    175 times

Re: big horns

Quote Originally Posted by 65welder
    I have read a lot of posts here where you all brag about bighorns. My only experience with them was bad. I watched a rzr-s with bighorns pulling out a stuck ranger and they filled full of mud and wouldnt clean out. They looked as smooth as inner tubes. my 09 xp has the pxt's on it and they seem to do quite a bit better in the same mud hole.
    I never claimed that they are the best for mud. There are definitely better tires for the gooey stuff......but the Bighorns are awesome for all around use......rocks, gravel, hardpack dirt, and light to medium mud. If I were a hardcore mudbogger, I would definitely choose a more aggressive tire.
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

2012 RZR XP4 LE liquid silver / 2006 Ranger XP LE, midnight red, built 10/25/05

Member #
    Member #
    My stock front tires have a odd wear pattern as well, so does my buddies. 90% of our driving is field roads/tar. I have 2200 miles on my 07 he has around 1200 on his 08 miles. I think with the full cab and other crap on it its plenty front heavy for the size of stock tire, I have mine aired up and added the TM2 spring spacers to help out.
    '11 XP 800 LE "Orange Madness"
    '12 RZR S LE "Blk/Red/White"

(Bill) 1000+ Member Arizona Flying Dutchman's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I'm with Jerry,
    No tire is perfect for every application. Big Horns work great in a variety of different settings. I had them on my quads for almost 8000 miles and they wore in the same manner as described above. In my case I am sure that it was from pavement and hardpacked, rocky trails.

I used them in deep mud in Eagar / White Mountains with no problems, but the deep mud here is more like clay and sticks to everything until it packs your fender wells like giant brake shoes. I don't think any tire would do well in that stuff.

So far though, the Big Horns are the best all-around tire I have ever run across and wear really well compared to the OEM's I've had.
    I AM proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free. And I WON'T forget the men (and women) who died, who gave that right to me ... And I WILL gladly standup next to you and defend her still today ... 'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land ... God bless the U.S.A. (Lee Greenwood)

2015 Ranger Crew 900 EPS, White Lightening, Street Legal, Polaris Lock & Ride Poly Top, Polaris Lock & Ride Half Windshield, Multi-Mount Viper Elite EX4000 SE/Wide Spool Winch, Dragonfire Doors, Seizmik Side View Mirrors, Garmin eTrex Vista HCX GPS, Ram Mount,

Member #
    Member #
    I filled my wheel wells and everything else up with mud elk hunting up near Flagstaff in December 2008. It was fun carrying an extra 500 pounds of Arizona around. I went to the lake twice a day to wash most of it off and start over. My Maxxis Big Horns pulled me thru it all.
    Joe in Tucson
    Freedom has a taste only those who have fought for it will ever know.

If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THAT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR GUNS!

06 XP CamoClad Natural Gear self applied camouflage, 4x4, Curtis Deluxe Windshield, Polaris metal roof, 6 gang Blue Seas Systems ST fuse block, home-made Nerf Bars, on-board air compressor, 26 inch Maxis Big Horns with black steel rims, white spring upgrade, WPS-120 Under Dash Panels, Hayden electric engine fan, Warn Front Receiver hitch, 48 inch farm jack, 2k come along or calf puller.
    PRC # 1164
    Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
    LIFE MEMBER IHEA -International Hunter Education Association
    LIFE MEMBER NRA & Golden Eagle Member/Endowment member
    Life Member North American Hunting Club

Joe - Tucson, Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links