Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

700 xp overheating

This is a discussion on 700 xp overheating within the Ranger Problems & Solutions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; My 2006 700 xp is overheating. Water is boiling out of resevior cap, it will shoot a stream 2 feet in the air. tha radiator ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 700 xp overheating

Member #
    Member #

700 xp overheating

My 2006 700 xp is overheating. Water is boiling out of resevior cap, it will shoot a stream 2 feet in the air. tha radiator is clean and my vent tube on the fuel pump is clear. Could it be the water pump or the thermostat? I got stuck a couple of weeks ago and got it REALLY hot. Then last night night it just started boiling out. Any suggestions would be a help!
    2011 ranger crew nothing done just a ranger!

Supporting Member
    (Jerry) Moderator/Rally Committee commanderjjones's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    (1) Make sure that the fan is working. The '06 (and '05 to a lesser extent) XP's had problems with frying ECM's and the predominant symptom was that the fan will quit working.
    (2) Make sure your radiator isn't partially blocked. A relatively common issue on many SXS's.....not just Polaris.
    (3) The thermistor (temp' sensor) is a possible but unlikely cuplrit. I don't think that I've read a post about one being bad. Cut the key on and unplug the 2-wire harness leading to it. If the fan cuts on, the ECM is working, but the sensor "might" be bad. Check the OHMS on the sensor. I can't remember the value off the top of my head, but it can be checked in that manner.
    (4) The thermostat is another possible but unlikely culprit (assuming the coolant has always been clean). I'd rule out all of the above before removing/testing, or replacing it.
    (5) Although I have seen a few water pmup failures, most of those were on newer machines, and are a very rare occurrence.

Most likely your machine will go into limp mode before the water pump gets hot enough for damage to be done to it or the engine, so check out all of the above and tell us what you find. My guess is that it will either be #1 or #2.
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

2012 RZR XP4 LE liquid silver / 2006 Ranger XP LE, midnight red, built 10/25/05

Member #
    Member #
    Thanks, will check it out tonight.

Member #
    Member #
    now that i think of it the fan was not on at all yesterday when it got hot!

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbird232
    now that i think of it the fan was not on at all yesterday when it got hot!
    I hate to say it, but your ECM might be bad. Check and see if you have a constant low voltage (like maybe 4 or 5 volts) going to the fan.
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

Member #
    Member #
    I had that happen. The resevior cap must have thought it was a volcano the way it spurted. Here are my suggestions:
    1. Check the rubber adapter between the throttle body and the engine for cracks. especially along the top side.
    2. Did you have anything at all done to it recently that involved rad fluid? Make sure you have no air in the cooling system. Well, you probably do now anyway. Get the front of the Ranger up a lot higher than the rear and bleed the air out. There is a bleeder screw on the side of the engine by the thermostat housing. Don't trust it though. Squeeze the hose, let it run, bleed it again, squeeze the hoses. It takes a while. I have winched the front into the air high enough I had to use a ladder to reach the rad cap.
    When mine did this the worst the dealer had changed the engine mount and admitted they had drained rad fluid, but of course they said it couldn't have been their fault. At the same time I also discovered the crack in that adapter. So I don't know which really caused it.

If it was that hot, check to make sure your thermostat hasn't gotten hot enough to "melt" out of its housing. Mine came loose. I also replaced the thermostat just in case. I was also told to watch out for the coolant impeller pump because they are plastic and can be easily damaged in this case. Mine wasn't.

Good luck.
    Darcy
    2012 Rhino 700 Red, 26" Terra Cross
    2009 Grizzly 700 EPS camo, 26" MudBugs (His)
    2009 Grizzly 550 EPS camo, 26" MudBugs (Hers)

Member #
    Member #
    I just had the throttle body and throttle cable replaced they where shot. They boot a new boot on also. Will check voltage when I get home. Is there an aftermarket ECM that you can buy or do you have to with Polaris?

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Is there an aftermarket ECM that you can buy or do you have to with Polaris?
    Unfortunately, OEM is the only choice. You can add a toggle switch or stand alone fan controller, but I prefer to replace the ECM to make sure everything works like it should. The first time mine burnt up (yeah, I've had to replace it twice ), there was also something else going on that kept draining the battery.
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

Member #
    Member #
    I have very little voltage going to the fan i can wire the fan up and drive it all day long. But it won't kick on by itself when i plug it back in. So I am guessing it is the ecm!

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    So I am guessing it is the ecm!
    Most likely. Did you try unplugging the harness to the temp sensor to see if it would cut the fan on?
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links