Already broke it - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Already broke it

This is a discussion on Already broke it within the Ranger XP 1000 Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; The 2016 900 models are pretty baked. The 2016 models were the 4th year of production for the 900. Sure the platform has issues, but ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Already broke it

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1032 times
    The 2016 900 models are pretty baked. The 2016 models were the 4th year of production for the 900. Sure the platform has issues, but I'd say the machines generally run "as designed". Most of the problems that remain are more like "features" than bugs.
    2016 RANGER XP® 900 EPS
    TRAIL EDITION BLUE FIRE
    teshreve's 2016 Ranger 900 Build Thread

(Ryan) Regular Member nevadacross's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kcobello View Post
    Hey Bud

I just bought a 2017 1000 XP White Lightning.

I had close to the same issue as far as check engine and "limp mode". Code was a 955601 or close to that. There were 2 one telling me there is an issue they other telling me a misfire in Cylinder #1. Belt was hourglassed and that is what caused the issue. Some sensitivity on one of the engine sensors also added to the code. Unfortunately if you do have the belt issue it is usually driver causeing because of belt slippage. I know when this happened to me, stopped on an incline and was also turning and grannied the throttle caused a belt slip and hourglass burn on the belt. This lead to me educating myself on how to properly break in the belt and "drive" the belt. I don't know if this is your issue but it was mine after only 7 miles or less of driving, even though my odometer says 16 miles which I can't figure how I have that much mileage. I am going to do a rollout calc of the odometer to check it. Give the Ranger some time. Products knowadays are thrown out to the consumer before they are truly tested and all bugs are fixed. Same thing happened to the 2016 900 I was told. Knowing this, reading on the proper breakin on the Ranger and the belt, has me a little less sceptical. Now if I can get by the noisy drivetrain that has me worried....
    I suppose anything is possible. I have about 10 hours on it. I'm not an adrenaline junkie, and I felt like I was following the break-in procedures. I changed a belt in my old 700 at 350 hours just as a precaution and it still looked fine, but maybe. I can't understand why the dealer was not able to get a code after the light came on. Aren't those codes stored in the computer?

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kcobello View Post
    Hey Bud

I just bought a 2017 1000 XP White Lightning.

I had close to the same issue as far as check engine and "limp mode". Code was a 955601 or close to that. There were 2 one telling me there is an issue they other telling me a misfire in Cylinder #1. Belt was hourglassed and that is what caused the issue. Some sensitivity on one of the engine sensors also added to the code. Unfortunately if you do have the belt issue it is usually driver causeing because of belt slippage. I know when this happened to me, stopped on an incline and was also turning and grannied the throttle caused a belt slip and hourglass burn on the belt. This lead to me educating myself on how to properly break in the belt and "drive" the belt. I don't know if this is your issue but it was mine after only 7 miles or less of driving, even though my odometer says 16 miles which I can't figure how I have that much mileage. I am going to do a rollout calc of the odometer to check it. Give the Ranger some time. Products knowadays are thrown out to the consumer before they are truly tested and all bugs are fixed. Same thing happened to the 2016 900 I was told. Knowing this, reading on the proper breakin on the Ranger and the belt, has me a little less sceptical. Now if I can get by the noisy drivetrain that has me worried....
    Quote Originally Posted by nevadacross View Post
    I suppose anything is possible. I have about 10 hours on it. I'm not an adrenaline junkie, and I felt like I was following the break-in procedures. I changed a belt in my old 700 at 350 hours just as a precaution and it still looked fine, but maybe. I can't understand why the dealer was not able to get a code after the light came on. Aren't those codes stored in the computer?
    You can get the codes off of it. I don't have my manual in front of me. Maybe someone can chime in on the procedure to get to them. I can't recall.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1851 times
    I may be wrong, but I think you can only get codes when the check engine light is on (?). However, the dealer should be able to pull old codes with their Digital Wrench software.
    trog likes this.

Always give 100%... except when you donate blood.

'11 800 XP - Viper Elite 4000 - EZTSK Turn Signals - Overhead Gun Rack - Backup LED - Dual Lock 'n Ride Storage Bins - Odyssey Aux 925L Battery on 1314 - H.I.D.'s - 30" LED Front, 10" LED Rear - Diamond Plate Floor Boards - Rear View Mirror w/Compass, Temp & Map Lites - 26" Bighorns - Front & Back BA arched A-Arms - Half Folding Windshield - DiamondBack Roof - Foot Saver - Dash Kit - UHMW Skids - Prolockers

'13 RZR 900xp EPS - Medical Insurance

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fswan View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think you can only get codes when the check engine light is on (?). However, the dealer should be able to pull old codes with their Digital Wrench software.
    If the check engine light displays.

1. If the error codes are not displayed, use the MODE button to toggle until “Ck ENG” displays on the main line of the display.

2. Press and hold the MODE button to enter the diagnostics code menu.
    3. Record the three numbers displayed in the gear position, clock and odometer displays.
    4. Press the MODE button to advance to the next error code.
    5. Press and hold the MODE button to exit the diagnostics code menu.
    6. Your authorized POLARIS dealer can provide code details and diagnosis.
    fswan likes this.

(Ryan) Regular Member nevadacross's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Update on the broken ranger... It's still in the shop. I have owned it for 64 days, and it has been either in the shop or broken down waiting on an appointment for 39 of those days. The latest I got from the dealer is somebody used too much locktite when assembling the primary clutch which hour-glassed the belt and gave the misfire codes. The dealer has had it for three weeks and has yet to figure out if that is the only problem. Polaris customer service was great in the beginning, calling and emailing with updates. However, I emailed them last Monday and have yet to get a response. I'm over it, I want my $$ back or a new machine!
    trog and JJaxon like this.

(Willie) 1000+ Member stainlessman's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    609 times
    Polaris must have a customer service( please I can hear the laughing from here..) that works on especially difficult issues that customers have. I would think this might be one for that dept.
    2014 900 XP EPS.....28"Mongrels- forward 'A'arms- Rhino axels-MMA lift-Duraclutch-Viper winch-canvas doors and other add'ons
    2014 800 LE EPS.....(engine under seat... ass cooker)

"In the end its not the years in your life that count...its the life in your years"...

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    639 times
    good luck sir i payed 19380.00 for a general and it ran 1 day crank sensor still going strong i feel your pain i wanted a new one too if they couldn't get it right i waited there and watched T&S Name:  IMG_3532.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  457.8 KB
    2017 general 1000 deluxe titanium matte mettalic
    emp windshield
    emp back window
    great day overhead gun rack for A-R
    full trail armor a-arms & skids with rock sliders
    auxbeam 7 inch l e d driving lights

2010 ranger 800 H D
    40 inch led bar
    pitbull rockers
    h I d headlight
    rhino rears axles
    seat covers
    trail armor skids
    diamond plate floor boards
    dura clutch

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    222 times
    Anybody that has to wait over 7-10days ought to be pissed, and you can and should blame Polaris but the problem is local. As for the Loctite problem, I'm fairly sure Polaris either uses dry stick or pre coated bolts, neither of which would cause a problem besides the fact that of the places with moving parts the tolerance is to great for allowing to Loctite to dry.
    Toxic-21 and trog like this.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    639 times
    i waited 2 hours T&S stood there with my a-r on gun rack in truck sat close by it watching till they got it right T&S
    2017 general 1000 deluxe titanium matte mettalic
    emp windshield
    emp back window
    great day overhead gun rack for A-R
    full trail armor a-arms & skids with rock sliders
    auxbeam 7 inch l e d driving lights

2010 ranger 800 H D
    40 inch led bar
    pitbull rockers
    h I d headlight
    rhino rears axles
    seat covers