radio setup - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

radio setup

This is a discussion on radio setup within the General Member Discussions forums, part of the The RANGER STATION ~ Rangers and RZRs category; Originally Posted by teshreve 8 drivers and 1200w is indeed hard to beat. But tuned enclosures are also hard to beat. My main point to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: radio setup

(Dave) Regular Member Battle_Born's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by teshreve View Post
    8 drivers and 1200w is indeed hard to beat. But tuned enclosures are also hard to beat. My main point to the OP and others wanting to buy the Recreational Watts kit is that there is no enclosure at all. Its a bracket to hold the speaker. Not tuned, not sealed, and sounds absolutely terrible. I know because I went the same route originally. Sealed enclosures make such a huge difference that it is hard to overstate. My audio setup has been through 7 iterations on 2 Rangers. I have some pretty strong opinions about what works. And those cheeseball Polaris brackets don't. At all. Period. They suck. A lot.
    I absolutely 1000% agree. At least I do because I was told.... I originally planned on installing my system "free air" into my headliner ala factory Polaris. My audio guru explained that it would sound horrific and a complete waste of time. He is the one that convinced me, and subsequently assisted me, in creating an enclosure above the headliner at each speaker location with fiberglass. "Sleeper pods" as I did not want to lose ANY room for my gun racks and such. The pods are not perfect, but I can confirm without a doubt it sounds amazing with them. It's way to much while riding. 1600w useable power and I bet I use 100. But when it's time to roll out the ice chests and pour ****tails I can turn a sagebrush plateau into a dance club if needed. It's out of line.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    983 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Born View Post
    I absolutely 1000% agree. At least I do because I was told.... I originally planned on installing my system "free air" into my headliner ala factory Polaris. My audio guru explained that it would sound horrific and a complete waste of time. He is the one that convinced me, and subsequently assisted me, in creating an enclosure above the headliner at each speaker location with fiberglass. "Sleeper pods" as I did not want to lose ANY room for my gun racks and such. The pods are not perfect, but I can confirm without a doubt it sounds amazing with them. It's way to much while riding. 1600w useable power and I bet I use 100. But when it's time to roll out the ice chests and pour ****tails I can turn a sagebrush plateau into a dance club if needed. It's out of line.
    lol, love it. Just because you have way too much doesn't mean you have to use it. But it sure is nice to know you can. Thanks for the validation that free air drivers (the polaris brackets) are a waste of time. I was so disappointed. Then I put the pods in. BAM. It was a religious experience
    2016 RANGER XP® 900 EPS
    TRAIL EDITION BLUE FIRE
    teshreve's 2016 Ranger 900 Build Thread

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by teshreve View Post
    lol, love it. Just because you have way too much doesn't mean you have to use it. But it sure is nice to know you can. Thanks for the validation that free air drivers (the polaris brackets) are a waste of time. I was so disappointed. Then I put the pods in. BAM. It was a religious experience
    A kid down the street from me has the NOAM system in his commander. He paid under $300 for the whole kit and it sounds damn good. Impressively good. If a guy was running an open cab and could use wake tower speaker pods I would definitely recommend that kit.

Thanks,
    B_B

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    So what do you guys recommend to create an enclosure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Sheet ABS on one spectrum can be heat formed into all kinds of shapes, but you'll need to be pretty handy to make the molds.
    On the easier side is fiberglass. You really can't mess up honestly. You can create more work for yourself, but it's very forgiving.
    Polyester fabric, some MDF, basic wood skills, staples and a staple gun, throw away paint brushes, a plastic Tupperware container, some fiberglass mat or cloth, release, resin and hardener, nitrile gloves, dust mask, sand paper, bondo, putty knives, primer and paint and that about does it. Lots of YouTube videos on the subject to assist as well.

I like to graph in anchors if I can. Preparation is the key to success.

Thanks,
    B_B

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Sheet ABS on one spectrum can be heat formed into all kinds of shapes, but you'll need to be pretty handy to make the molds.
    On the easier side is fiberglass. You really can't mess up honestly. You can create more work for yourself, but it's very forgiving.
    Polyester fabric, some MDF, basic wood skills, staples and a staple gun, throw away paint brushes, a plastic Tupperware container, some fiberglass mat or cloth, release, resin and hardener, nitrile gloves, dust mask, sand paper, bondo, putty knives, primer and paint and that about does it. Lots of YouTube videos on the subject to assist as well.

I like to graph in anchors if I can. Preparation is the key to success.

Thanks,
    B_B
    It's intimidating to most. But shouldn't be. If you have any mechanical skills whatsoever you will surprise yourself with what you can accomplish

Thanks,
    B_B

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I installed the Recreational Watts stereo this morning and very happy with it. Simple to install and sounds great.

(Eric) Starting Member Ramler2326's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dave19 View Post
    I installed the Recreational Watts stereo this morning and very happy with it. Simple to install and sounds great.
    glad your happy with it, I really like mine. Im sure its not as great as what some of these are guys are talking about, but it does what it needs for me. down the road im sure I will get enclosed pods when I get sick of this one. compared to factory tho I think this is a much better system/better buy
    2016 Ranger XP 900 Velocity Blue
    Polaris Doors with power windows
    Polaris glass windshield with wiper and Rear Window
    Polaris Heater Kit
    Polaris Roof
    4500# winch
    28x10x14 Tusk Terribites
    14 in STI HD4 Rims
    Ranger Pro Lift 2 inch lift
    Ranger Pro lift rear seat and Cage
    13 inch LED LIght Bar on Bumper 52 inch on roof
    Blinker KIt
    Rear backup lights
    Recreational Watts Sound System
    Blue LED lights all over

Lifetime of family fun.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    A kid down the street from me has the NOAM system in his commander. He paid under $300 for the whole kit and it sounds damn good. Impressively good. If a guy was running an open cab and could use wake tower speaker pods I would definitely recommend that kit.

Thanks,
    B_B
    What's NOAM?
    2016 Ranger XP 900 Velocity Blue
    Fortress Lo-Pro Steel Roof
    Fortress Tip-Out Glass Windshield
    Homemade Rear Poly LNR Windshield
    KFI Rear Tube Bumper
    LED Bar Up Front/Cubes Out Back
    DragonFire Harness Override Clip
    SSS Full Skids w/ Rockers
    Hi-Lifter 2" Bracket Lift