Razor will not keep running over 1/4 throttle.
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Razor will not keep running over 1/4 throttle. within the RZR 170 Discussions forums, part of the Polaris RZR Forums category; My 2009 Razor 170 has been in storage for about a year. I pulled it out recently changed the oil, purged all the fuel lines ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Razor will not keep running over 1/4 throttle.

(Nate) Starting Member N.J.Leatherman's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

My 2009 Razor 170 has been in storage for about a year. I pulled it out recently changed the oil, purged all the fuel lines and tank, added fresh fuel with Sea Foam, cleaned out the carb with Sea Foam Carburetor spray cleaner, installed a brand new spark plug, put in a fresh new battery, and cleaned out the air box/filter. At first it took some time to start and for a while it would even run without the choke on and it wouldn't idle(I would have to stay on the gas about 1/5 open). I kept working with it and eventually was able to get it to run with the choke off and to idle. It would idle for about a minute or 2(max) and then would die. It will stay running if I very lightly press the gas peddle, however, if I try to press it anymore it starts to sputter and it sounds like it is starving for fuel. I can even hear the fuel pump sputtering as well(it sounds almost like it is sucking up air bubbles). I have completely checked and cleaned the fuel pump as well and still the same problems. Can anyone help me? It would be greatly appreciated because I am out of options that I know of and have tried everything that I know to do.
    -Thanks-

(Doug) Retired Moderator seasonedsole's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    I'm a believer of the sea foam, maybe let it soak more. I didn't see were you changed the fuel filter, if that doesn't help, looks like time for the carb to be cleaned.
    Doug, NE Pa.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    If a good soaking with more carb cleaner does not help I think you are going to have to pull the carb, disassemble it and clean it properly. That are several tiny passages in carbs that can become clogged, I have used a piece of tie wire to clean them out. If it has been sitting that long, and it was ethanol based gasoline, it is probably gummed up.
    Glen
    2012 Red Ranger 500 EFI, 2005 Ranger 4x4, and we still have the 2005 mule 610, 5 antique tractors, 2 dogs, 2 kids, two granddaughters and one grandson, and glad to be retired.

(Jerry) Retired Moderator commanderjjones's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    686 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gemery
    ........If it has been sitting that long, and it was ethanol based gasoline, it is probably gummed up.
    Ditto. Ethanol gas is horrible......and unfortunately, it's very difficult to find ethanol-free gas around here these days.
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

2012 RZR XP4 LE liquid silver / 2006 Ranger XP LE, midnight red, built 10/25/05

(Jeffrey) Elite Member Jeff Polisena's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Question , if I keep using ethanol and as long as I use ranger weekly will I be ok ? Or will if fail no matter what precautions I take ?
    2012 Ranger XP LE Pearl White

Member #
    Member #
    Awesome, thanks for the help guys. Yes I did change the fuel filter as well, I just forgot to put that in there. It's been soaking with that Sea Foam for a week now, I was afraid that I was going to have to take the carb apart but it sounds like that's my last option at this point. After I cleaned it out with the Sea Foam, I stuck one of those "Sea Snake" cameras down the air intake tube and the carb looked very clean, but I also couldn't see past the throttle plate. I am going to break it all down today. Again, thanks for the advice, everyone on here has be very helpful whenever I have a problem.

(Jerry) Retired Moderator commanderjjones's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    686 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Polisena
    Question , if I keep using ethanol and as long as I use ranger weekly will I be ok ? Or will if fail no matter what precautions I take ?
    As long as it is getting used regularly, it will be fine. It's when it sits for an extended period that you'll have issues.
    Jerry
    PRC staff / SSW staff

2012 RZR XP4 LE liquid silver / 2006 Ranger XP LE, midnight red, built 10/25/05

(Bruce) Retired Moderator ElecTech's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Nate, after sitting for that length of time, it is possible the carb is gummed up. But, one VERY IMPORTANT tip for you, make sure the E-BRAKE is off!!! I sometimes will push my daugher's 170 outside before cranking and set the brake. It will crank fine and idle with choke about 1/2 way out and foot on the gas. It is a very cold natured engine but if I forget to disengage the e-brake while warming it up, it will spit and splutter and make you think something is wrong. It is a safety feature to prevent you from running with it engaged. While you probably will get it with the carb cleaning, I thought I better clue you in on this one!!
    Bruce
    Member #2
    '05 4X4 Ranger
    Rangerware accessories

1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care on HIM for HE careth for you.

(Louis) Starting Member TrinityDuck's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #

rzr 170

Ditto on the E-Brake. Will not run unless you move it down to the floor. These are very cold natured machines as you stated.

TrinityDuck

Member #
    Member #
    Good deal, thanks for letting me know that Bruce. Good to know before I start taking everything apart.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links