Primary Clutch Buttons
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Primary Clutch Buttons

This is a discussion on Primary Clutch Buttons within the Featured Clutch Write-up forums, part of the Ranger Technical category; I just finished watching a Youtube video by Dieselfume about rebuilding primary clutches. In the video he talks about replacement buttons which wear out and ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Toxic-21
  • 1 Post By pyromedic

Thread: Primary Clutch Buttons

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    456 times

Primary Clutch Buttons

I just finished watching a Youtube video by Dieselfume about rebuilding primary clutches. In the video he talks about replacement buttons which wear out and also wear the aluminum clutch housing and can make clutch action sticky. I wondered if anyone has attempted to make their own buttons out of Delrin rod. The Polaris buttons, according to the video's author, cost about $11 each although he states you can buy some from the orient.

Supporting Member
    (Greg) Super Moderator Toxic-21's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    Steve, you may be aware of this, Dieselfume previously know as POS POLARIS on PRC.
    Probably no one on this forum, puts more miles on or rebuilds these units more than Adam, he definitely knows his stuff.
    jungleman likes this.
    PRC Member #11880
    2013 Ranger 900 XP Bronze Mist LE
    2009 Ranger 700 XP Sage Green
    Toxic-21 Products.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    231 times
    Cost is between $8-10 each. Interesting idea but just from my brief search it looks like the melting point might be to low. You might be able to find the right product but I wouldn't want to take the chance, wearing out the towers is somewhat uncommon, not unheard of but at $48-60 I don't want to take a chance on ruining a $500 clutch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    456 times
    Greg, I remembered that Dieselfume had moved to another forum but couldn't remember his name here. I may try posting there to get his input on the idea. Thank you for reminding me.

Larry, I do need to investigate Delrin a little more. As I understand it there are various "grades" or "types" for the lack of a better term. I've also heard of graphite and molybdenum impregnated plastics that may be candidates. It just bugs me to one day have to pay $60 for little plastic dots. PEEK and Teflon are two additional candidates for buttons that withstand considerably greater temperatures and have high compression strength. There are also others. Of course the cost of raw materials may be higher than just buying the buttons. Regarding wear on the towers, according to the Youtube videos I've watched they wear even with the OEM buttons. I'm considering refacing the towers by machining away the unworn area until the surfaces are once again true and smooth, perhaps .010 or so on each side, then using thicker buttons to take up the additional space. Clutches, being as expensive as they are, might be made to last an additional cycle with some re-machining. Even the weights could be bushed with bronze when then get egged and perhaps last longer than they originally did.

I'm a tinkerer at heart, always looking at a new project or some way to improve a current process. I may be just wasting my energy on this particular avenue, but I wanted to lean the experiences of others to know what they have learned.

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts.
    jungleman likes this.

Supporting Member
    (Greg) Super Moderator Toxic-21's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    979 times
    Steve, this doesn't really help any, but the PEEK, may be a strong candidate for this. I have machined PEEK a couple of times (it's been awhile), and when you mentioned this it jogged my memory a little. I do not remember the material specs.

I will be curious of what you find out in your research, you always have great information.
    PRC Member #11880
    2013 Ranger 900 XP Bronze Mist LE
    2009 Ranger 700 XP Sage Green
    Toxic-21 Products.

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    456 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic-21 View Post
    Steve, this doesn't really help any, but the PEEK, may be a strong candidate for this. I have machined PEEK a couple of times (it's been awhile), and when you mentioned this it jogged my memory a little. I do not remember the material specs.

I will be curious of what you find out in your research, you always have great information.
    Greg, I looked up specs for PEEK and PTFE and both have higher temperature parameters and compressive strengths than Delrin. A quick look at price and I found 3/8" round for under $7/foot. One could probably easily make 30 to 40 buttons per foot including waste. That's 23 cents per button at 30 buttons. Quite a savings! Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by pyromedic; 01-10-2017 at 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    1190 times
    Can you link us to the video so I can learn about these buttons?
    2016 RANGER XP® 900 EPS
    TRAIL EDITION BLUE FIRE
    teshreve's 2016 Ranger 900 Build Thread

Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    456 times
    Here ya go Todd:

(Steve-o) Elite Member Naylor649's Avatar
    Member #
    Member #
    Liked
    218 times
    The good ole buttons. I never knew that's what them where called. Nice find pyro.
    Union Electrician
    2015 900 XP Sandstone Metallic
    Fixed Glass Windshield
    Lock & Ride Rear Glass
    Lock & Ride Sport Roof
    Polaris Radio
    Polaris Extreme Bumper
    Viper Elite 4000 winch
    12" Light bar
    3" Full Outkast lift
    14" MSA Vibe wheels
    30" Pro Armor Crawler XG