first repair job - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

first repair job

This is a discussion on first repair job within the Ranger XP 900 & 570 FS Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; Thats why good portion of us are here. To learn hopefully without all the errors of a beginner. Hopefully toxic can chime in with his ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: first repair job

2015 900xp le
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Thats why good portion of us are here. To learn hopefully without all the errors of a beginner. Hopefully toxic can chime in with his experience on the matter

Member #
    Liked
    425 times
    Have read where others have bought cv's from local auto parts stores with warranty included. Not sure if they are for your model though. I, personally wouldn't beef up the axles, especially if you have big tires. Passes the stresses up the drive train, which could get expensive quick. Think of it as a shear point.
    3040krag and samhallnc like this.
    2007 Ranger 500 (Carb)

RJ
    Member #
    Liked
    289 times
    As has been said on here many times....just remember that the axles are a fuse so to speak. If you go to heavy duty....the next weakest link up the line will break. And thats the trans. Far cheaper and easier to replace axles than transmission parts.
    samhallnc and jungleman like this.
    2018 1000 XP Titanium Matte Metallic
    Lock n ride glass windshield and roof
    MMA lift
    27-11-14 Tusk Trilobites
    G5 tune

Past rides
    2004 Ranger. 2x4 with trusty 425
    Built like a tank and still running strong.

2012 800 XP LE
    Wire chaffing fuel pump eater but never left me stranded!

2016 900 XP Titanium Matte Metallic

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

2018 Ranger 900 XP
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    I hadn't considered that, but it sounds like good advice. I was just hoping to prevent the damage from happening again; sounds like that's not the way to go.

Member #
    Liked
    175 times
    What were you doing when the axel began to make noise? Start there and review what you could have done to prevent it. Don't kick yourself to hard, life is a learning experience and to learn you need to have fun. Look into new parts only as you have already decide. Keep us posted on the progress please.
    Freedom has a taste only those who have fought for it will ever know.

If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns. An armed society is a polite society.

FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THAT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR GUNS!

2015 Ranger 900 XP EPS, Polaris tip out windshield, glass rear window, Polaris canvas doors. 3600 lumen driving lights, TMH 20'' Dual Row High Power 126w Cree Light Bar 13000 Lumens
    , led driving lights for back up light, EZ turn signal kit, Garmin Montana 600, UMC ATV tool/storage box, Ricochet rock sliders, home made mud blockers, in bed mounted spare tire, Big Sky roof mount gun rack, Wolo Bad Boy air horn.
    PRC # 1164

Life Member NRA & Golden Eagle Member

Joe - Tucson, Arizona

2016 900XP HL
    Member #
    Liked
    442 times
    Quote Originally Posted by samhallnc View Post
    I apologize if I'm asking ignorant questions, I'm new to working on things with 4 wheels. The Rhino 2.0 axles have the joints on both ends (from the service manual they're called CV Joint and Plunging Joint)- my question is, are those joints superior to OEM in some way? Or is the Rhino 2.0's only benefit over OEM the diameter of the actual axle?
    Yes the SuperATV Rhino 2.0 CV Axles are far superior to the OEM. They are stronger and can operate at harsher angles on the CV Joints. Highlifter also makes a great replacement axles as well. I would replace both rear axles if it were mine.
    2016 - 900XP EPS Highlifter Edition

2018 Ranger 900 XP
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybey View Post
    What were you doing when the axel began to make noise? Start there and review what you could have done to prevent it. Don't kick yourself to hard, life is a learning experience and to learn you need to have fun. Look into new parts only as you have already decide. Keep us posted on the progress please.
    I can't be sure because I only heard the popping when turning hard. My trails through the woods are very harsh because of the amount of rain we've seen in the last year. Almost certainly in low gear and 4 wheel drive creeping through some deep uneven mud. I got the rear end off of the ground last night and the wheels off; the right rear (turf mode wheel) has a ton of play in it. I'm not sure which joint is to blame because I didn't have a 27mm socket to get the axle nut off. I'll get the axle completely out today or tomorrow. I can shake the rear left wheel a little bit but not much.. not sure how much (if any) play is within tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by jobo2856 View Post
    Yes the SuperATV Rhino 2.0 CV Axles are far superior to the OEM. They are stronger and can operate at harsher angles on the CV Joints. Highlifter also makes a great replacement axles as well. I would replace both rear axles if it were mine.
    That's what I was wondering, is if the joints could take harsher angles. I understand the reasoning behind not beefing up the axles but I want those CV joint angles so I'm probably going to go with the Rhino 2.0's anyway. I don't have the money to order parts until Thursday so I've got time to mull it over. I'm with you on replacing both though, that'll give me a decent spare for emergency repairs anyway.
    jobo2856 likes this.

2015 900xp le
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    Could it have been a joint failure due to water getting into joint? Don't take many miles to destroy a joint if rust starts in it and the grease has washed out.
    Will be interesting to see the joint dismantled after removal. Have a pre trip inspection to do on the 350 before going 1600+ miles back north this weekend. I had drove through some water in the flooding last fall around Austin. I've seen perfect bearings go bad in no time at all after a bath.

2018 Ranger 900 XP
    Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by summermn View Post
    Could it have been a joint failure due to water getting into joint? Don't take many miles to destroy a joint if rust starts in it and the grease has washed out.
    Will be interesting to see the joint dismantled after removal. Have a pre trip inspection to do on the 350 before going 1600+ miles back north this weekend. I had drove through some water in the flooding last fall around Austin. I've seen perfect bearings go bad in no time at all after a bath.
    Definitely a possibility, I cross floorboard-deep water every day.

2015 900xp le
    Member #
    Liked
    106 times
    I had a couple pieces of equipment that required the joints to be greased daily because of the extreme use factor. Your use may be in the "extreme use " category
    Warm bearing meets cold water. Because of contraction sucks in the water and out goes a bit of grease. Boat trailer bearings are prime example of this.
    samhallnc likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links