Winch rope suggestions
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Winch rope suggestions

This is a discussion on Winch rope suggestions within the Ranger XP 900 & 570 FS Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; I have a warn 4000 lb winch and am thinking about changing the cable to rope.What would you guys suggest for diameter and length....

Thread: Winch rope suggestions

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Winch rope suggestions

I have a warn 4000 lb winch and am thinking about changing the cable to rope.What would you guys suggest for diameter and length.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Most UTV specific is 1/4" and around 50ft long. It will depend on your winch spool as to how much you can fit

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2017 Ranger 570 Mid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Warn replacement kit has 50 ft of 7/32, but I don’t think 1/4 would be a problem. I changed mine from cable to rope because my plow kept breaking the cable. I have a 3500 and got 3/16 which is what Warn replacement size is for the 3500.

I’m also using mine with a roller fairlead. Mine was undamaged/unscored.

https://www.warn.com/powersports-off...opes-fairleads
    2017 Ranger 570 Midsize, stock tires/wheels with a few accessories like bed rack, roof, windshields.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

(robert) Veteran Member superiorsp1's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    i use master pull line rated at 15000 lb 1/4 6 mm and pay the extra 25.00 for their hook
    you wont get 42 foot on your warn if its not wide spool they will custom cut what you need, 25 foot is 80.00 with out hook 105.00 with
    you don't have to change your fairlead if straight pullin all time but sooner than later it will get stuck between rollers or cut if nicked up rollers
    warn fair lead 50.00, viper 30.00 amazon from hong kong 14.00 . buddy pulls us out with 25.00 amazon 3/16 line aint broke yet?
    i have had 4 ropes brake on me all my fault. cuts in line, tied knots on hook end , towing. warn pro vantage 4500 front viper 4500 rear
    i'm still learning. my old winches 3 cheap champions 1 3500 superwinch and a polaris winch ,all cable never snaped but frayed ,rusted, hard to spool.
    just bought a warn axon 5500 lb with cable to go up front
    you have to clean rope and dri out regular maint. and try not to let it rub without line protector.
    some say rope is safer i'm not really sure yet ?

ride safe

(Jim) Starting Member jcoleman310's Avatar
    Member #

Post Winch rope

Quote Originally Posted by Tlmunn View Post
    I have a warn 4000 lb winch and am thinking about changing the cable to rope.What would you guys suggest for diameter and length.
    I replaced my steel cable with a rope. I researched and found the ones made with the Dyneema fibers to be very good and fully as strong as the steel cable. Ropes are also made of Kevlar, Spectra, Vectran and other fibers. All are good. It would be best to go to a good Internet review like the Master Pull website and learn which would fit your needs the best. A very important point though. You will need to replace the fairlead if you switch from cable to rope because the cable fairleads will rip the ropes. As to the diameter and length, as others have opined here on this forum, it depends on the strength you want (Master Pull’s website can help with that) and how big your winch spool is as to how long a rope you can wind onto it. Another piece of advice is to get a stop to place on the rope so that it doesn’t all get pulled onto the winch drum and cause a problem. Several winch ropes that you can find on Amazon offer both rope specific fairleads and stops. Good luck. You will love the rope versus the cable I think.

Sponsored Links