PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1st Post - High Mileage 900xp

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  lexiontech 
#1 ·
High All! This is my first post, I have been hanging around and reading all the good info for awhile now.
I have been around Rangers for a long time but have always been an ATV person. I have been looking for a used one for quite awhile now and never found one i was comfortable with.
A local farmer is selling a 2016 900 xp with 9500 miles. I know this guy well and it has been well taken care of no kids have rode it just a lot of road miles. Every thing he owns is immaculate and and very well maintained. The average mile per hour is 9.6. He is asking $9k for it and it has a tip out window, roof, back glass, soft doors and a radio. The price doesn't really bother me because it has been babied its whole life but the miles do scare me some. I was really hoping to find one with 3000 or so miles but those are always to close to new price for me to pull the trigger on.
Whats your thoughts? Do you think it is a time bomb with that many miles on it?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Known problems, poor fitting air box lid and intake boots that leak at the head. Id do a compression test before making a decision. No matter how clean you keep a machine, those can sneak by anyone. If that checks out good and you like it, i would go for it. You'll probably need wheel bearings and a-arm bushings now or in the near future. But that is to be expected with that many miles. Seen posts on here with 20000 plus miles on there machines. Pics are mandatory if you buy the machine. Welcome to the club!

Reactions: Rangerwhit
#4 ·
I don't know where you are located riverhunter55 but these dealers will sell you a Ranger at a fantastic price. Get the instant price on the site. There are no other add on's except mandatory taxes.
There are others scattered around the country that are comparable so if you let us know your location maybe someone can help you out.
https://www.powersportsofamerica.com/
https://www.abernathycycles.com/

#7 ·
As long as it has been well taken care of as you say, and the intake hasn't gotten dusted, I would not be afraid of 9,500 miles. But if you can afford it, you can't beat brand new. I just bought my own ranger a little over a year ago and went used so I could afford one with all of the accessories I wanted. New accessories from the dealer really jack up that bill quick when you want a full cab with heat and tracks. It has been a great machine and I believe it was well taken care of by the previous owner, but my next one will be new. Gives me more peace of mind knowing every bit of the history of the machine and knowing it was not only taken well care of, but taken well care of the way I would do. My main issue was I did not have a trade, and I wanted one that year, and the misses did not approve of the quote from the dealer being higher than what we paid for her last new car. Mine was similar to the one you are looking at, owned by an older farmer, lots of road miles. 6,000 miles when I bought it. Couple weeks after I bought it the drive belt went out, not the most exciting thing to happen with "new to you" machine, but thankfully easy and cheap fix. With a new belt the machine was good for about a year and then started having issue with the clutch. Found bearing was going out in primary and secondary was worn out. That is fixed and now next on my list are a-arm bushings and new tires. Love the machine but if I could have afforded it at the time I defiantly would have went new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.