Tip-Out Safety Glass Windshield Installation - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Tip-Out Safety Glass Windshield Installation

This is a discussion on Tip-Out Safety Glass Windshield Installation within the Ranger XP 900 & 570 FS Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; As I recall, I ended up tweaking (bending) the sheet metal that the pots bolts to forward and upward to get it to latch properly....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tip-Out Safety Glass Windshield Installation

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    As I recall, I ended up tweaking (bending) the sheet metal that the pots bolts to forward and upward to get it to latch properly.
    2013 XP 900 Browning
    Premium roof, solid rear glass, tip out windshield, pivoting window doors, rear bumper, Polaris heater/defroster kit

(Jay) Starting Member The Trail Hogg's Avatar
    Member #

Re: Tip-Out Safety Glass Windshield Installation

Quote Originally Posted by Ran
    Today, I made some room in the shop to pull the Ranger in for installation of the Safety Glass Tip-Out Windshield. Its a pretty straight forward installation, but on my particular Ranger, I had to make a couple of minor modifications in order to make it fit right.

Here's what you get in the kit

Installation Instructions

Remove the top of the dashboard to install the attachment catch and drill a hole for the post to stick out of

I then laid the windshield in place to align and mount the hinges to the top of the roll cage

I meant to snap a pic of the hinge mount, but forgot. Here you can see where I used shims to align the windshield before snugging down the hinge fasteners. This job would be easier with a helper. I was working alone

The shock mounts are already attached to the windshield, but you need to attach the lower ball mounts to the Ranger's roll cage

As you can see from this picture, I had to do some modifications in order to make the dash mount post line up. It became apparent that the roll cage on this Ranger is slightly out of kilter

In order to make the post high enough to achieve an adequate 'catch' on the handle, I had to stack some washers under the post mount.

Here's a couple of additional pics

Hi great install. Its getting a little cold up in norther WI and I'm ready to have a windshield on two weeks ago.lol. I'm having a hard time finding where to buy a poly tip out online or even finding any info on pricing. where did you order yours from and what are they asking for them if you don't mind me asking?
    Don't Put your Fingers where you wouldn't put your face.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Jay the Polaris Industries website lists the poly tip out as part # 2880091, and here is the description. The problem is they describe a glass windshield in the narrative but the material states polycarbonate. I believe the part # is correct though and you should be able to order it through any Polaris dealer.

Edit (10/30/13): The correct part # for the 2013 is actually 2878855 and it list for $800.

Color: Clear
    Material: .236” thick polycarbonate
    Scratch and Shatter Proof

- See more at: 2014 Polaris RANGER XP 900 Sage Green Side by Side : Build[/quote]

Good luck
    Bud
    Last edited by TO Bud; 10-30-2013 at 05:58 AM.
    Bud

2013 Ranger 900XP Bronze Mist
    L & R Sport Roof, Viper Winch 4000#, Motoalliance 72" plow with Hydro Turn,
    Front Hitch, EZ-Steer Power Steering, Homemade Mud Blockers,
    Homemade half doors, L & R Tip-Out poly windshield, L & R rear glass window,
    Triangle Snorkel, DuraClutch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    I'm having an issue with the latching in the most closed position. Mine may be missing something. Does anyone have a good close up picture of the outer most hole for latch up in the closed position? It may be I'm missing a grommet there or something. There is none on mine. Its metal And I can't think they would design it to be metal on metal. Particularly since the second position, vent position, has a nice grommet.

Now... mind you that the plate that my post bracket attaches to in my Browning edition is not the same as yours is showing. And the bracket uses two different holes in this plate. It has oblong holes but there are not enough adjustment to perfectly line up. I'll snap a picture of this newer style bracket I am dealing with and post it up here in a few minutes.

I know had to do some slight work on the pin location by taking a set of vice grips and giving it a tweak of a bend to get the pin centered into the hole. There was not quite enough adjustment in the bracket slots.

Added on edit: Here is the latest bracket type and location on this new Browning that I just bought...

Thanks in advance!

Phil
    Last edited by cphilip; 12-15-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Supporting Member
    (Greg) Super Moderator Toxic-21's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    2432 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    I'm having an issue with the latching in the most closed position. Mine may be missing something. Does anyone have a good close up picture of the outer most hole for latch up in the closed position? It may be I'm missing a grommet there or something. There is none on mine. Its metal And I can't think they would design it to be metal on metal. Particularly since the second position, vent position, has a nice grommet.

I know am going to have to do some slight work on the pin location but dare not start until I know I have the right latch arrangement.

Thanks in advance!

Phil
    There is no grommet for the first (closed) hole, just the second (vent) hole. I modified the hinge bolt holes at the top of the cage, I had to (tweek) it a little to the right, if your standing facing the unit (front).
    PRC Member #11880
    2013 Ranger 900 XP Bronze Mist LE
    2009 Ranger 700 XP Sage Green
    Toxic-21 Motorsports.

It Costs a lot of Money to look Cool!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic-21 View Post
    There is no grommet for the first (closed) hole, just the second (vent) hole. I modified the hinge bolt holes at the top of the cage, I had to (tweek) it a little to the right, if your standing facing the unit (front).
    Ok... Just did that. But I already had mine all the way to the right and that just lined it up however it was too low away from the hole.... so I Bent the whole attachment bracket forward to lift it up a bit. Lines up now. Not the best system though I got to say. Another nice grommet would have been ideal I would think. Ill just have to get it bent right to stay but yet latch easily enough. I'm close now.

(SlimRockett) Elite Member SlimRockett's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    I have a problem with my handle lifting up while driving I had to put Velcro on top of dash to help hold it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Ranger Crew 1000 Bronze

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    You're going to need to adjust the latch post, so that you get a secure catch.

Supporting Member
    (Greg) Super Moderator Toxic-21's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    2432 times
    Dean is correct, sounds like you need to move the post back, toward the seat.
    You should have to compress the seal, while pulling on the handle and then the hole in the handle should just barely clear the post. Then when you release the handle, the window seal when it expands should keep the handle snug against the post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    PRC Member #11880
    2013 Ranger 900 XP Bronze Mist LE
    2009 Ranger 700 XP Sage Green
    Toxic-21 Motorsports.

It Costs a lot of Money to look Cool!

(SlimRockett) Elite Member SlimRockett's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    My buddy just bought a 14 ranger 900 with same tip out windshield as mine his has a rubber grommet in both closed position and partially open position!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links