Tip-Out Safety Glass Windshield Installation
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Tip-Out Safety Glass Windshield Installation within the Ranger XP 900 & 570 FS Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; Today, I made some room in the shop to pull the Ranger in for installation of the Safety Glass Tip-Out Windshield. Its a pretty straight ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tip-Out Safety Glass Windshield Installation

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Today, I made some room in the shop to pull the Ranger in for installation of the Safety Glass Tip-Out Windshield. Its a pretty straight forward installation, but on my particular Ranger, I had to make a couple of minor modifications in order to make it fit right.

Here's what you get in the kit

Installation Instructions

Remove the top of the dashboard to install the attachment catch and drill a hole for the post to stick out of

I then laid the windshield in place to align and mount the hinges to the top of the roll cage

I meant to snap a pic of the hinge mount, but forgot. Here you can see where I used shims to align the windshield before snugging down the hinge fasteners. This job would be easier with a helper. I was working alone

The shock mounts are already attached to the windshield, but you need to attach the lower ball mounts to the Ranger's roll cage

As you can see from this picture, I had to do some modifications in order to make the dash mount post line up. It became apparent that the roll cage on this Ranger is slightly out of kilter

In order to make the post high enough to achieve an adequate 'catch' on the handle, I had to stack some washers under the post mount.

Here's a couple of additional pics

PRC #1297
    Member since 12/22/05

Randy

Randy W. Tomahawk, Wisconsin: 2014 Ranger Crew

"To get up each morning with the resolve to be happy...is to set our own conditions to the events of each day. To do this is to condition circumstances instead of being conditioned by them."
    Ralph Waldo Trine

(Kevin) Regular Member Kevin Immink's Avatar
    Member #
    Nice write up. I put my windshield on this evening and then came in and seen this post. Although not a huge job it wish I would have seen it before I did it.

I like that you drilled the hole on the dash vs. cutting per the instructions. I have not done the cutting yet so I may very well drill. It will give a cleaner cut vs. trying to cut a straight line.
    Kevin Immink
    Ranger XP 900

(Bobby) Veteran Member jeepdude665's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Another great write-up Randy. Picked up my Ranger yesterday and noticed the same issue. Read your post and installed 2 washers per bolt and......Bingo! Latch now works perfectly. Thanks for the detailed write-up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    (Greg) Super Moderator Toxic-21's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    2433 times
    I did the exact same, it appears your windshield lined up better than mine. I am either going to have to modify my hinges or the holes in the cage. Mine needs to rotate a little to the left, this will help line up the handle hole with the latch pin, and will give me equal spacing between the glass and the rollcage.
    PRC Member #11880
    2013 Ranger 900 XP Bronze Mist LE
    2009 Ranger 700 XP Sage Green
    Toxic-21 Motorsports.

It Costs a lot of Money to look Cool!

Member #
    Liked
    161 times
    Good write up Randy! I just got my new 900 XP Sunset Red from Chris Ball, Ball Equipment a couple days ago. Really love that new cab and windshield. Superior to any thing Polaris has had before. Chris put the cab on for me and I really appreciated that. From a old Mechanics view point they really did some nice things with access points on this new 900. That dash area is one of them. Another thing that impressed me was how well the machine was laid out and put together. Fit and finish was tops and not like the previous models of years gone by. My only gripe and concern is the Engine air intake. They sure could have done some thing better than a natural funnel to dump water right into the engine. Being aware this was an issue that needs to be addressed by Polaris I was washing my new 900 and almost without even thinking I sprayed water right into it. Fortunately I caught myself in time and didn't get a lot in it. If they don't do any thing I will figure out some thing. Other that this machine is a real torque monster! Love the get and go it has. It feels more like driving a small truck with forward look out the front with the nice windshield. Yes,love the Power Steering! I too was impressed with the head lights. Best ever for a Polaris!
    Ken

1324 Roadrunner 12/29/05

Casa Grande, Arizona

www.3dflags.com

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic-21
    I did the exact same, it appears your windshield lined up better than mine. I am either going to have to modify my hinges or the holes in the cage. Mine needs to rotate a little to the left, this will help line up the handle hole with the latch pin, and will give me equal spacing between the glass and the rollcage.
    That was my issue too, Greg. I had to modify the cage holes slightly on the passenger side (VERY slightly). It works good now, but its apparent the cage is slightly out-of-kilter. On the driver's side, the gap between the windshield and the edge of the channel is consistent. But on the passenger side the gap tapers (tighter on the top than on the bottom).

PRC #1297
    Member since 12/22/05

Randy

"To get up each morning with the resolve to be happy...is to set our own conditions to the events of each day. To do this is to condition circumstances instead of being conditioned by them."
    Ralph Waldo Trine

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Thanks for the write up and the pictures.

How did you know exactly where to drill the hole for the latch peg? Careful measuring?

TW
    [COLOR=#006400][B]Bronze Mist XP900: 3" lift,Poly top, front hood rack, rear bumper, poly tip-out, rear glass, homemade modular rear rack, Seizmik pro mirros, EMP center mirror and A arm guards, OTRATTW switches, red dash lights, Rugged Ridge vertical gun mount, zenon headlights, front/rear LED lights, mud guards, H3 Hummer tool box, 14" MSA M16 bead locks on 26"Bighorns.

(Gary) Retired Moderator Gary Lenon's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    One other thing I did on my installation. I put some vaseline on the rubber gromlet in the latch catch for the first tip out position. It works a lot smoother and will protect the rubber from wear. Very nice write up Randy...I'm sure you will save some folks a little time with their installation!

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvy Joe

How did you know exactly where to drill the hole for the latch peg? Careful measuring?

TW
    TW...there's a "V" cut-out indicated on the underside of the dash, but I decided a round hole would look better. But I still (as you guessed) did some 'careful' measuring to determine the hole location..

PRC #1297
    Member since 12/22/05

Randy

Ralph Waldo Trine

(Gary) Retired Moderator Gary Lenon's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ran
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvy Joe

TW
    TW...there's a "V" cut-out indicated on the underside of the dash, but I decided a round hole would look better. But I still (as you guessed) did some 'careful' measuring to determine the hole location..
    We mounted the post and put the down to where it touched the dash. We put a dab of grease on the top of the post first so that it would mark the underside of the dash. We made the hole a little bigger than needed for adjustment room (looks better than cutting the v in my opinion) The actual fit is a little touchy, so we still had to trim the hole for a good fit. There is probably an easier way to mark it, but our way worked. We took the dash top in and out several times during the fitting, but fortunately Polaris has made the dash very easy to get in and out. That will make it great for adding swithces, ignitions or whatever.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links