PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

Prop shaft removal 2016 900 xp

93K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  bdcook27 
#1 ·
I am wondering if anybody has and could explain how they went about removing the prop shaft on their 900 XP. I have twisted, wiggled and slid that shaft every which way and cannot figure out how to get it out through the bottom of the machine. It looked to me like it would have enough room but no go. My next guess was to pull the front bumper off and take the front diff out but Im not sure how the axles come out of the diff will they just slide out if I take the bolts out of the A-arms? I need help. thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The prop shaft must come out through the small square opening on the front of the chassis just in front of the front diff. The front bumper, winch, etc. have to be removed, also the front diff will have to be removed or slid over to the drivers side. This means the front suspension has to be unbolted, ball joints, tie rod ends, brake calipers. I've had mine out twice and the last time I let the axles hang in the diff with the spindles still attached on each end and held the diff over to the side with a pry bar. This made it faster to get the prop shaft out but it was a pita to hold the diff over and install the shaft back in by my self. Be sure to disconnect the diff wiring and vent so you won't damage them. Now if that opening was just a little larger. Hmmm, maybe Polaris will take this into consideration. Lol

#3 ·
Yes i have the rear of the shaft off i had to loosen up the front diff to give me enough room to slide the back end off. I thought once that was off I could slide it back beside the tranny and that would give enough room to drop the front end down out but no go on that.

#5 · (Edited)
Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Car Auto part

I recently removed the driveshaft to replace the u-joints. It's a total pain in the butt. You have to disassemble the whole front end. It is possible to do without removing the steering rack, but I found removing the rack makes it way easier to get back into place.

#6 ·
Just an update on this subject I called my dealer out of curiosity and he told me that they have been taking the clutch cover and clutch off and that gives them enough room to slide the prop shaft out that way. I hope this info will help anybody else out I believe that is easier that taking the whole front end apart, provided you have a clutch puller.

#9 ·
I am not the one taking it apart I do not have a clutch puller. So i hauled it back to dealership. yeah I thought it was kind of strange also that the joints are bad already. Not sure how many miles anyone else is getting out of them?? I have a little over 1000 miles on my buggy. I do not know how to make them last since the oem u joints do not have grease zerks for some reason, thanks polaris. I am going to have all balls greaseable joints in it now though.

#14 ·
I helped my cousin remove his driveshaft for u joint replacement and he cut the cross member out and removed it downward. He replaced the cross member with one that bolts in so next time it will be easier. Polaris does some stupid things. Having to remove the whole front end to remove a drive shaft(prop shaft) is just dumb.

#17 ·
I just pulled the propshaft on my 900 Ranger XP. I thought I could get it out the rear by removing the clutch but it was a no go because of the gas tank. I ended up dropping the front end, unbolting the transfer case and pushing it to one side so the propshaft can slide out the front. The whole job was not as bad as I thought it would be. Check out a series of great videos on youtube by Partzilla.com. There are a couple that show you how to disassemble front ends on 2016 Ranger 900 XP's. Hope this helps.

#18 ·
That's how I got mine out and that's how my manual shows to take it out. I just pulled the front apart and pull the front diff out. Had to loosen the steering rack to gain little more clearance to pull the shaft out the front of the machine. Not a had job at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.