Fuse Box Question
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Fuse Box Question

This is a discussion on Fuse Box Question within the Ranger Technical forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; I've read through Swans fuse box write up several times, and have everything ready to go. I have passed on my 14 year old Ranger ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fuse Box Question

(Paul) Veteran Member jpfishmaster's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Fuse Box Question

I've read through Swans fuse box write up several times, and have everything ready to go. I have passed on my 14 year old Ranger to my brother, and have crossed to the dark side of a Can Am Defender, sorry, but I am still a loyal PRCer, always a wealth of info here. Here's my question. My machine has a 3 bus bar on it, one hot, one keyed hot, and one negative. In Swan's write up, he mentions running a new hot lead from the battery to the bus bar. Is this necessary or is he referring to one that doesn't already have one run? Can't I just come off my existing hot connection and take it to the Blue Sea box as well as the negative? I've always been a little slow so I don't wanna get it wrong. Want this machine to be better wired than my 14 year experiment in wiring lack-of-ingenuity. Thanks!
    05 500 4x4, Viper 5.0, line trimmer rack, backpack blower rack, chainsaw mount, aux battery box, Deka secondary batt, 96qt Marine Igloo dry storage, Alpine overhead unit, Sirius/IPOD, , EMP CV guards, Burkemotopros HID's, backup lights, home made lexan windshield, cheap metal roof,Bluewater LED light bling, 26" Bighorns on 12 " ITP 212's, lots of scratches and dings

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    2900 times
    If the bus bar is already wired, no need to run new cables from the battery. Power the new fuse box from the 3 OEM prewired lugs.

You know why when geese fly in a V, one side of the V is longer than the other? More geese on that side.
    '11 800 XP - Viper Elite 4000 - EZTSK Turn Signals - Overhead Gun Rack - Backup LED - Dual Lock 'n Ride Storage Bins - Odyssey Aux 925L Battery on 1314 - H.I.D.'s - 30" LED Front, 10" LED Rear - Diamond Plate Floor Boards - Rear View Mirror w/Compass, Temp & Map Lites - 26" Bighorns - Front & Back BA arched A-Arms - Half Folding Windshield - DiamondBack Roof - Foot Saver - Dash Kit - UHMW Skids - Prolockers

'19 RZR 1000XP EPS Trail and Rocks Edition

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Not to hi-jack this thread but....Do you use the keyed hot or the other hot? I think I like the idea of using the keyed hot to keep from inadvertently discharging the battery.

Thanks,

Mudde
    2017 Ranger XP 900 Sage Green
    Polaris Poly Roof
    Polaris Lock and Ride Glass windshield
    Polaris Lock and Ride glass rear window
    Polaris Soft Doors
    Polaris heater
    Badlands 3500 lb winch / Synthetic Rope
    Seizmik ICOS gun holder
    Amazon El Cheapo manual windshield wiper
    Hornet cargo rack
    Denali plow & Mount
    SATV Winch Mount Front Bumper

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    2900 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudde View Post
    Not to hi-jack this thread but....Do you use the keyed hot or the other hot? I think I like the idea of using the keyed hot to keep from inadvertently discharging the battery.

Thanks,

Mudde
    Normally you would not use the Keyed Hot lug to power an accessory. Rather, use the Keyed Hot lug to activate a relay, which in turn complete the circuit allowing the accessory to utilize the 24 Hr Hot to power the accessory only when the key is on.
    Natethedog likes this.

You know why when geese fly in a V, one side of the V is longer than the other? More geese on that side.
    '11 800 XP - Viper Elite 4000 - EZTSK Turn Signals - Overhead Gun Rack - Backup LED - Dual Lock 'n Ride Storage Bins - Odyssey Aux 925L Battery on 1314 - H.I.D.'s - 30" LED Front, 10" LED Rear - Diamond Plate Floor Boards - Rear View Mirror w/Compass, Temp & Map Lites - 26" Bighorns - Front & Back BA arched A-Arms - Half Folding Windshield - DiamondBack Roof - Foot Saver - Dash Kit - UHMW Skids - Prolockers

'19 RZR 1000XP EPS Trail and Rocks Edition

Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    With your seniority Swanny, I would think admin would have some new guy working the night shift.
    yooper265 likes this.
    2013 Ranger XP900 LE EFI EPS, Member 10,000+ Mile Club, Viper Elite 5000# Winch, Dragon Fire 1/2 Doors, THE Duraclutch, Firestorm Heater, 12" Totron combo light bar front and flood cubes aft, DIY game loader, Bandit Shocks

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the response, Fswan! I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I want to run power to a Blue Sea fuse box. Do I use the keyed hot or the constant hot to get power to the auxillary fuse box?

Thanks for any help!

Mudde
    Polaris Poly Roof
    Polaris Soft Doors
    Polaris heater
    Seizmik ICOS gun holder
    Hornet cargo rack
    Denali plow & Mount

Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    To the top
    2013 Ranger XP900 LE EFI EPS, Member 10,000+ Mile Club, Viper Elite 5000# Winch, Dragon Fire 1/2 Doors, THE Duraclutch, Firestorm Heater, 12" Totron combo light bar front and flood cubes aft, DIY game loader, Bandit Shocks

Member #
    Liked
    520 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudde View Post
    Thanks for the response, Fswan! I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I want to run power to a Blue Sea fuse box. Do I use the keyed hot or the constant hot to get power to the auxillary fuse box?

Thanks for any help!

Mudde
    I believe what Forde is referring to is that you should have a relay before the fuse box on a direct feed from the battery. The relay is triggered by the keyed hot. It will then give direct power to the fuse box from the battery once the relay is signalled to turn on.
    Ranger Crew 900-5 EPS LE Sunset Red with a whole bunch of stuff.

Build thread: Arcticz Crew Build

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks Arctic! I think I have it now. I admit it.....I am a dummy around electrics!

Mudde
    Polaris Poly Roof
    Polaris Soft Doors
    Polaris heater
    Seizmik ICOS gun holder
    Hornet cargo rack
    Denali plow & Mount

Member #
    I have installed the 80 amp breaker, relay, and fuse block as Swann said. Is it still recommended to add a relay for light bar and one for rock lights? Or not? Thx!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links