PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

2006 Ranger EFI 700 XP - bogs down randomly - restarting fixes immediately

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Jungleman 
#1 ·
I've had a 2006 Ranger EFI 700 XP for about a month (my first side by side). I'm having a seemingly-random issue which seems to me to be a mis-calibration ... of some sort ... at startup.

About 1/3 of the time when I start the Ranger it will bog down when I press the accelerator; as if it is out of gas (when it is definitely not). I can turn off the engine, immediately restart it and the issue is gone.

I cannot post a video of my issue due to my "post count" here.

I call it "bogging down" but my searches for that term do not yield helpful results. What would you call this issue and do you recommend any fixes?

Thank you very much for your input.

#7 ·
About 1/3 of the time when I start the Ranger it will bog down when I press the accelerator; as if it is out of gas (when it is definitely not). I can turn off the engine, immediately restart it and the issue is gone.

It will most definately be the fuel pump. Mine was doing the same thing. I bought an after market re-build kit (trying to save some $$$$) and that didn't fis the problem. I took it to my trusted mechanic and he replaced it with a new one ($400+) and I haven't had that problem since. Save some money and replace the entire fule pump.

#9 ·
I bought a compatible fuel pump for $14 on ebay and then swapped it out in 25 minutes.

The issue is completely resolved! Thank you so much for the excellent advice!

Now, to figure out how to adjust the idle. I believe that it was set to accommodate the bad fuel pump and now it idles so high that shifting is slightly difficult.

#10 ·
FH2, the idle is set with the TPS .528 volts DC and then the D (flow) screw on the throttle body on up to .660 vdc. The throttle cable must have 1/6" slack before the pedal takes over. Trying to adjust the idle with the throttle cable is an exercise in futility.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.