Bench vise suggestions
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Bench vise suggestions

This is a discussion on Bench vise suggestions within the Workshop...Discussions/Photos forums, part of the Off Topic category; Was looking at a craftsman 5" and read that they don't make replacement jaw faces. I want to get one I can pass on to ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BPS
  • 1 Post By pyromedic

Thread: Bench vise suggestions

Member #
    Liked
    426 times

Bench vise suggestions

Was looking at a craftsman 5" and read that they don't make replacement jaw faces. I want to get one I can pass on to my son, so I don't want to skimp for a change. Suggestions for a quality brand please? Something like was made in the 50's and 60's in the usa preferred if existent. Thanks.
    2007 Ranger 500 (Carb)

BPS
    Everything
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    I had a Craftsman in my home shop for years then in my business shop until it just locked up on me during some hard use. Went shopping for a new one and like you, wanted one to pass on to my son. I spent about 300-350 on a Wilton. It was not their top of the line but is made here. I always thought a vise was a vise. Man was I wrong. The jaws are replaceable but the main improvement is the closing. No matter how far to the edge and no matter how hard you clamp, the jaws stay parallel and tight. There's no side to side wobble. The old adage, you get what you pay for, holds true.
    Rangerwhit likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    426 times
    Was just looking at the wiltons on summit. Thanks!
    2007 Ranger 500 (Carb)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    426 times
    Went for this one. 79.99 with code. Made in Taiwan but reviews look great on many sites. Lifetime warranty for what it's worth.

General Purpose 6? Jaw Bench Vise with Swivel Base

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...07428_10008141
    Last edited by Rangerwhit; 05-14-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    2007 Ranger 500 (Carb)

Member #
    Liked
    1521 times
    Choosing a new bench vise is probably more complicated today than it was years ago. Something you might want to consider is buying a used vise. I have a 4" Columnbian Vise that I bought 40+ years ago and it was used when I bought it. Today it still serves me well. A quality vise will last for generations if it is not abused. Stay away from cast iron or cast steel vises, they don not have the strength of a forged vise. Cast iron and cast steel have great compressive strength but much less tensile strength. many cast vises end up broken right behind the movable jaw.

Since Cheap Chinese imports started flooding the market old trusted names can no longer be trusted as they once were. For marketing purposes old respected companies like Wilton have added cheap vises to their lineup in order to remain competitive. These days just because a tool has a well recognized and respected name doesn't necessarily mean quality.

Expect a quality vise to be fairly expensive, even old used ones. In fact, high quality old used vises in good condition may command higher prices. It's still a case of you get what you pay for. If you consider an older used vice Columbian and Wilton are good names. At one time there was a company in Poland, Atco Rapid vise, that made a decent vise at a lower price. I sold several of them back when I had a tool truck but I doubt they are still in business. My dad has one that he's had for decades and it still works well. If you find a Japanese made vise from the 1960's era it will likely be of good quality. If you must buy an import generally speaking Taiwan's products are superior to Chinese although I don't know of a Taiwanese bench vise off hand.

I read that Yost makes a forged vise but I am not experienced with them. Wilton probably still makes a forged vise as well.

If you decide to look for a used vise you may come across a jewel on Craigslist or eBay, but if the owner knows what he has the price will still be high. When shopping for a used vise look for excess backlash in the screw, chipped or broken jaws, hacksaw tracks, weld splatter, brazed or welded repairs covered with paint, damage to the anvil behind the fixed jaw and damage to the slide of the movable jaw. Although most vises come with an "anvil" hammering on a vise in not good practice, particularly no hammering should be done on the slide. Minor hacksaw tracks or dings in the anvil may help you talk the price down while doing little harm to the vise. Damaged jaws can be replaced and damage can be prevented by not tightening the jaws against each other. Most vise jaws are hard unless they have been replaced with soft jaws and putting hard steel against hard steel is a good way to chip or crack the jaws.

Whatever you do don't go cheap. Buy a forged vise.

This looks like a nice Polish Atco Rapid vise:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Atc...8AAOSwrQxbCD6h

Here's a Columbian much like mine but mine is in better condition:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Col...IAAOSwGJ5cyu0X
    Rangerwhit likes this.
    2015 Polaris Ranger 570 Full Size XP
    Lock N Ride Polaris Pro Fit Glass Wiper ready Windshield
    Lock N Ride Polaris Pro Fit Glass Rear Window
    Lock N Ride Polaris Pro Fit Poly Roof
    Lock N Ride Polaris Pro Fit Poly Doors with Hinged Windows
    Polaris Windshield Wiper
    Polaris Battery Connection Kit
    Duraclutch
    KFI Front Lower Hitch Receiver
    Pawltector Parking Brake
    Trail Armor Skids
    Odyssey Battery
    SVI Traction Control
    SATV Power Steering
    Badland 3500# Winch
    KFI Winch Mount
    KFI 72" Snow Plow
    Sucool 48w LED back up lights

Member #
    Liked
    426 times
    Inherited some oem vice grips. Irwin owns them now. Apples and oranges...
    2007 Ranger 500 (Carb)

Sponsored Links