PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

2018 Ranger 1000 XP Issues/Annoyances

180K views 252 replies 53 participants last post by  summermn 
#1 ·
First off, let me say I really like the new machine. Overall, it was a huge upgrade from the 2011 800 XP. However, there are a few things that are bugging me about the unit and I'm hoping there may be some fixes:

1. The gear shifter issue (at least for me) is isolated to High gear. All the other gears work well, but I really have to force the shifter to get it into high gear. Anybody know if there are any linkage adjustments?

2. The unit bucks at slow speeds in high gear. I didn't have this with the old unit. I'm hoping this may subside as the unit breaks in. Anybody else experience this?

3. The throttle response, or lack thereof, in reverse is really bothersome. I don't know if this is supposed to be a safety feature or what, but I literally have to depress the gas pedal 1/3 of its full travel before the unit will start moving in reverse. Its also bad in High/Low, but not nearly as much (I have to press the pedal ~15% to 20% of its full travel before the unit responds). Again, anybody know if there might be a linkage adjustment somewhere that can correct this?

4. My Polaris vented hard coat poly windshield has numerous ripples/warps in it. This is not really noticeable on paved roads, but it's really distracting when on trails as the warping becomes pronounced as the ripples/warps move across your field of vision as your moving. Imagine looking in a warped mirror, same effect. Has anyone else noticed this?

I don't mean to nit pick, but I'm hoping there will be fixes for these things, other than the windshield which can't be fixed and I'm sure Polaris will not warranty it and take the position that it's "operating as designed".

See less See more
#73 ·
I’ll add another question too... anyone having issues with the fuel gauge? The angle is not as steep on the gas fill so it’s a little harder to put in gas but I can’t seem to fill it up enough to get it to read full, even on a flat surface???

#74 ·
I filled mine up to just about the tip and mine read full. In fact, it read full for quite some time. I'm still in the break in period and have only 5 hours and 26 miles but I'm now only at 2 notches from the full mark. I'm new to full size UTVs but am so far very impressed with the fuel efficiency.

#79 · (Edited)
Today I pulled the Northstar in the heated shop and performed the 25 hour service. So here is an issue, actually more of an annoyance than anything. I understand the muffler on the Northstar had to be relocated due to the A/C Compressor but couldn’t Polaris put a little more thought into filling the rear diff/ transmission. I highly suggest getting a pump of some sort, I’m looking for recommendations. From the picture it looks easy to get to but it’s not as easy as the picture suggests, and getting a funnel in there was next to impossible, even with the little cut out they did give.
Fashion accessory Auto part Automotive exterior Silver Vehicle

#80 ·
Today I pulled the Northstar in the heated shop and performed the 25 hour service. So here is an issue, actually more of an annoyance than anything. I understand the muffler on the Northstar had to be relocated due to the A/C Compressor but couldn’t Polaris put a little more thought into filling the rear diff/ transmission. I highly suggest getting a pump of some sort, I’m looking for recommendations. From the picture it looks easy to get to but it’s not as easy as the picture suggests, and getting a funnel in there was next to impossible, even with the little cut out they did give.
View attachment 108698
I was looking at that too. I'm only at 6 hours but plan to do a transmission gear oil change at about 20 hours. I've already bought the stuff and picked up a 10 dollar hand pump that has a hose to reach to the fill hole. It should prove to be handy.

#88 ·
Back on topic... picked my 2018 Northstar yesterday. No issues (hopefully that will remain!), and overall it is a big step up from my '15, but more on that in another post - here are my "annoyances" so far:
1). Honestly I hoped it would be a bit quieter. Overall it probably is, but with sound coming from behind you (engine) as well as in front now (intakes) it seems about the same to me vs my 2015 XP900.
2). Guard by the seat to keep you in... the seat belt keeps getting stuck on the outside after I get out and then close the door getting back in. I'll just retrain myself on this one I guess
3). Muffler placement... not for the oil issue (though I'm sure I'll whine about that too!), but I'm typically hitching and unhitching things a few times a day (modified snowmobile pintle), and would prefer the muffler and shield not to be so close to my hands. Also I'd welded up a piece to make the receiver higher (basically a hitch fits in, it has a spacer, then a receiver welded on top of it) for use with a few of my implements that require a higher hitch. This won't work with the 2018 NorthStar as the muffler is in the way...
4). left foot rest - I really liked the one in my 2015, as it was a comfortable place to rest my foot when operating at even speeds for a long time (none of that yet during break in but soon hopefully!). The new one really doesn't have a foot rest
5). Seat height. I'm 5'8", 30" inseam, and with the extra cushy seat now my feet are comfortably at the floor with my knees at 90 degrees. Thankfully the seat moves forward now or operating the accelerator pedal would be quite annoying!
6). Factory headlights - why they haven't gone to LEDs is beyond me. I went with a front light bar this time, and honestly with it on the factory headlights aren't even noticeable when they are on; I'll likely rarely use them now. I suppose they will sell more light bars, but with all the other increases in quality (better plastics, much better fit and finish, much better cab sealing) I would have thought they'd have tossed in LED head lights too.

Obviously all those are minor. Hopefully it will stay that way!

#90 ·
1. I also am disappointed in the noise level inside the cab, it’s much quieter than no cab but not by much.
2. You can remove the hip bar from the back of the seat fairly easily. I can’t stand how wobbly the seat back is!
4. I also noticed the foot rest is kinda a joke, not good for much.
6. The lack of LED headlights was the number one thing I complained about to the developers of the Ranger at the Farm Progress Show in August.

#92 ·
I don't know what the specs are, but teshreve suggested 0 toe. My 16' HL that way cause at above 40 mph it would shake like crazy. I set it up with 0 deg toe, basically as straight as possible and the wobble is pretty much non-noticeable.

#97 ·
I’m not sure if this is an issue or not, but if it is I want to get it addressed before spring. So I noticed today when I turned the A/C switch on a little red light lights up behind the dash. It is only visiable behind the shifter. The green light lights up on the switch. I’m not sure if this is normal or an issue.

#98 ·
So I had the ranger out today and I flipped on the A/C switch and I noticed a little red light lit up behind the dash. It’s only visable through the shifter boot and if it’s not supposed to be lit up I want to make sure and get it fixed, whatever would be causing the light to come on. Does anyone know if this is normal or an issue? It green light on the A/C switch did light up also. Red Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle door

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.