2018 Ranger 1000 XP Issues/Annoyances - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

2018 Ranger 1000 XP Issues/Annoyances

This is a discussion on 2018 Ranger 1000 XP Issues/Annoyances within the Ranger XP 1000 Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; Originally Posted by Mikenorth Are any of you getting a lot of noise from the front gearcase? I have a NS and can really hear ...

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: 2018 Ranger 1000 XP Issues/Annoyances

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikenorth View Post
    Are any of you getting a lot of noise from the front gearcase? I have a NS and can really hear the front gearcase when driving in 2WD it goes away when I am in 4WD.
    The cab really amplifies those noises. I have a 17 not north star, with cab and you can really hear it. This summer I took everything but the top off and the whole machine is whisper quiet.

(Randolph) Regular Member millejr's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I just got my Titanium Metallic the other day and so far it appears to be a huge upgrade from my 11 500 Midsize. I donít have the problems with shifting as others have mentioned but I do feel that the clutch engagement is still pretty jerky. Itís no worse than my old machine, but I was really thinking it would be better. All that said all Iíve been able to do is drive around my back yard so far so more to come Iím sure!
    2018 Ranger 1000XP Titanium Metallic

Member #
    With the exception of the windshield my 2018 has all the same issues. I have tried all the throttle control positions and they don't seem to slove the problem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

rpr
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    For what itís worth, my dealer swapped out the hard coat poly windshield for me and replaced it with another one. Same issues, but a bit less pronounced, not as bad as the first one. If you look through the windshield at a fixed object with a straight line and move your head, particularly if you are looking through the windshield at an angle, you canít miss the warps and warbles on the straight edge. My 7 year old hard coat poly windshield on my 2011 from Curtis has no such issues. Polaris either has some manufacturing issues or this is just a cheap poly they are using IMHO.

My dealer said he did notice it but he thought it was relatively minor. It really bothers me so Iím going to swap out the hard coat poly for glass. I donít want to spend the $$$ but I also donít want to get annoyed every time I drive it with what Iím already invested in it for. That and my neighbors might think I have some serious issues if they continually see me bobbing and weaving my head with a *issed off look on my face as I drive by.
    Last edited by rpr; 12-03-2017 at 06:06 PM.
    2018 Polaris Ranger 1000 XP EPS, Camo.

Supporting Member
    (Greg) Super Moderator Toxic-21's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    2448 times
    Are any of you getting a lot of noise from the front gearcase? I have a NS and can really hear the front gearcase when driving in 2WD it goes away when I am in 4WD.
    And this is going to get worse as the flex/carrier bearing goes south.
    PRC Member #11880
    2013 Ranger 900 XP Bronze Mist LE
    2009 Ranger 700 XP Sage Green
    Toxic-21 Motorsports.

It Costs a lot of Money to look Cool!

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I took mine out for a ride this past weekend and noticed what you're describing. From what I can tell, to me it seemed like the front hubs remained locked even with the switch in 2WD. I stopped, put it in reverse, backed up a few feet, put it in low and moved forward. That seemed to resolve the issue for me.

I used Low gear after that when driving less than 15-20mph and never noticed the noise again.
    Last edited by rayw72; 12-04-2017 at 09:55 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic-21 View Post
    And this is going to get worse as the flex/carrier bearing goes south.
    Can you go into more detail about this? Is the flex/carrier bearing something should be upgraded?
    2018 XP1000 Northstar
    SOLD: 2015 XP900 White Lightning

Supporting Member
    (Greg) Super Moderator Toxic-21's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    2448 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.45 View Post
    Can you go into more detail about this? Is the flex/carrier bearing something should be upgraded?

Polaris carried over a fairly common issue from the Ranger Crews/General and incorporated it into the New Rangers.
    With the Crews having a longer wheelbase, the prop shaft angles are reduced from the Trans to front gear case, which helps in several ways to reduce flex/carrier bearing failure.
    With the shorter wheelbase of the New Standard Ranger, The driveline angles are increased, possibly causing premature flex bearing failure.
    The New Ranger uses a hybrid CV/ U joint two piece prop shaft.
    The flex bearing is the same part used since 2014 on the Crews.

Since the unit is so new we have not seen many issues posted yet, but keep in mind, overall they are not much different from the older units.
    (Example: starting to see posts on the front gear case noise on the new units, that has been going on since the release of the 900 in 2013).

With that said, it is my opinion from looking at the driveline, that this bearing may fail sooner on these units due to increased prop shaft angle ( u joint), resulting in a higher frequency of torsional vibrations.
    Imbalance created from manufacturing tolerances.

This is something I posted when the pics of the new unit were released.
    I may be wrong, but we will see in the months ahead.

It would definitely be something I would upgrade.
    Last edited by Toxic-21; 12-05-2017 at 05:33 AM.
    stainlessman likes this.
    PRC Member #11880
    2013 Ranger 900 XP Bronze Mist LE
    2009 Ranger 700 XP Sage Green
    Toxic-21 Motorsports.

It Costs a lot of Money to look Cool!

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Can you pass along some of your recommended fixes? Would this be like the sandcraft carrier bearing upgrade?
    2018 XP1000 Northstar
    SOLD: 2015 XP900 White Lightning

(Cody) Starting Member atvmodster's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    No shifting issues with my 2018 ranger. Shifts better then my 2016 rzr did. My only complaint so far is waiting on accessories.
    2018 Ranger 1000 XP Camo- Camo Roof, fold out glass windshield/wiper, rear sliding glass window, Roll down window doors, heater, 4500b winch (STILL WAITING)

2015 Argo 750 HDI- Soft cab, winch, tracks

2017 Polaris RMK 800 SE

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links