Lift Options and Drawbacks
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Lift Options and Drawbacks within the Ranger XP 1000 Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; Good morning PRC. I've been lurking for a few weeks now trying to do some research and education, and this is my first post. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Lift Options and Drawbacks

2017 Rngr Crew 1000
    Member #

Good morning PRC. I've been lurking for a few weeks now trying to do some research and education, and this is my first post.

I have a 2017 Ranger Crew 1000, that I just purchased about 3 weeks ago. It is stock except for a street legal kit, roof, and bikini windshield. I have a couple questions.

1) What are the pros and cons of the various styles of lifts (and corresponding amount of lift)? First and foremost, reliability is important. So I'm concerned with things like more frequent repairs and maintenance of items like cv axles, belts, etc. Second, I don't want to compromise ride comfort. I want to be able to take my family on the trails without beating them up and making them not want to go anymore. Third, I would like to maintain the original weight capabilities. I won't be stressing it with big loads very often at all, but I don't want to pass on a project that the Ranger is rated for but the new suspension or components can't handle. I'm not looking for any type of extreme lift, possibly 2-4". My trail riding is basically hard pack and rocks, potentially some soft dirt/sand. No dunes, mud, or racing type stuff.

2) Why is it so hard to find a used spare tire and wheel? It seems like the majority of owners upgrade tires and wheels, so I would think there should be plenty of OEM wheels and tires out there in the used market? I just want to pick up a cheap spare.

Thanks for any input you all can provide. I've tried searching but it seems everything I could find was very specific, typically someone writing about their rig and mods and maybe a couple points as to why they chose the components.

Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    1st: What is the reason for the lift?

For me a totally stock Crew 900, same body as yours, was too low and I needed a better breakover angle. I started with a 2in Dragonfire upper bracket lift and used that for two years. I liked the height but for the way we use our Crew I needed stiffer springs. I replaced the lift with S3 springs and ended up close to where I was for ride height but with more down travel which I wanted and a stiffer ride that you don't want. Currently my Ranger is dead level fueled up and trail loaded. I plan to add a little more preload to the rear for less squat when loaded.

With trail tires.

Name:  20190326_181218.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  4.52 MB

With my sand tires.

Name:  16 UTVTO 2018.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  1.87 MB

If you go with a 2in lift and put the shocks on the inner mount you should be close to the lift I ended up with but with a better slow speed ride. If you go with any lift you should check for axle bind with your wheels removed and suspension at full droop by turning each axle by hand and feeling for binding. When checking the front check with steering at full lock left and right on both sides. If you have any binding at all you will have to use limiting straps or try another lessor lift.

Any lift over stock will add wear, the more angle an axle has the more wear and heat, with that said most people feel running up to 2 inches over stock does not add much and seems to be a good comprise.
    TucsonFX4 likes this.
    2014 Solar Red Crew 900
    RVS Stage 2 Tune
    HMF Titan QS
    Dirty Dawg Performance clutch kit with EBS
    Two Switch SVI Traction Control
    S3 Springs
    SATV half doors from WhoMoto
    Seizmik Front Rack and Mirrors

2017 Rngr Crew 1000
    Member #
    Thanks for the great reply thestir. Great looking rig and looks like you keep it pretty loaded.

The main purpose of the lift will be for slightly better obstacle clearance. Perhaps I should first try moving the shocks to the outer mounting holes and see what that does for height and ride quality. From what you’ve said and what I’ve read in the past, maybe my next likely option would be a 2” bracket lift, as opposed to replacing the springs with some S3s or similar. Would the bracket lift provide a similar lift while also providing a more comfortable ride than something like the S3 springs? And the S3 springs would be more suited to increased load capacity while lifted or at least maintaining original height? Any overall reliability differences between a bracket lift or S3 type lift?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

RJ
    Member #
    Liked
    285 times
    The outer holes will just get you a stiffer ride. The holes are up farther in the frame so no additional lift just a different shock angle with a stiffer ride.

I've ran a Marshall Moto Art 2 1/2 inch lift on my last 3 machines without a problem. Around 5000 miles combined. Wouldn't be afraid to run one if I were in your shoes.
    2018 1000 XP Titanium Matte Metallic
    Lock n ride glass windshield and roof
    MMA lift
    27-11-14 Tusk Trilobites
    G5 tune

Past rides
    2004 Ranger. 2x4 with trusty 425
    Built like a tank and still running strong.

2012 800 XP LE
    Wire chaffing fuel pump eater but never left me stranded!

2016 900 XP Titanium Matte Metallic

Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    RJ, the outer hole will give you lift, the hols follow an arc so while there is no more droop the more upright angle of the shock will lift a little with the same preload adjustment.

Also, interesting item I have never seen anywhere else is you get about 1/2 more overall travel using the inner mounts. I did some measure when I had the springs off and ran the suspension through the shock travel.
    RJ likes this.
    2014 Solar Red Crew 900
    RVS Stage 2 Tune
    HMF Titan QS
    S3 Springs

Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    TucsonFX4 for me swapping from the 2in bracket lift to the S3 springs was about a wash for ride height. So for axle life I would say about equal, the difference being at full articulation the axles on a bracket lifted Ranger will be at more extreme angles and especially if the front end is at full lock so potentially weaker. Mine had no bind and seem perfectly fine today and I was often 3 legging it.

If I were you I would try a bracket lift in the 2in range with the front shocks on the inner mounts and the rears in the outer mounts as a basline. This will give you the smoothest ride in the front and the highest load capacity in the rear using the stock shocks and springs. Many people like the MMA 2.5 lower bracket lift, I prefer a well designed upper bracket lift like the Dragonfire 2in that are around $125 on Amazon and still offer both shock mount locations. Like I said before, whatever lift you get check for axle bind.

RJ
    Member #
    Liked
    285 times
    I hear ya sir. The older 800's used to be on the same plane, and actually netted about an inch and a half. The way they are now, a couple clicks of preload will do about as much as moving them to the outside. Unless your springs are sacked out. I ran the s3's on my 900 and left them on the lowest setting on the inside. Was darn near perfect. The newer 1000 seem to have a bit beefier springs. Hopefully they'll last more than a year this time.
    thestir likes this.
    2018 1000 XP Titanium Matte Metallic
    Lock n ride glass windshield and roof
    MMA lift
    27-11-14 Tusk Trilobites
    G5 tune

Past rides
    2004 Ranger. 2x4 with trusty 425
    Built like a tank and still running strong.

2012 800 XP LE
    Wire chaffing fuel pump eater but never left me stranded!

2016 900 XP Titanium Matte Metallic

Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    That's what I'm running front inside, lowest preload. Rear are outside now but only because I never know what I end up with in the bed.
    2014 Solar Red Crew 900
    RVS Stage 2 Tune
    HMF Titan QS
    S3 Springs

2017 Rngr Crew 1000
    Member #
    Thanks for the feedback and options. I will probably end up going with one of the bracket lifts eventually. I bought the Ranger used and the original owner bought an extended warranty that was transferred to me. I am a little concerned something like this would adversely affect the warranty, so I will try to look into that first and may delay these plans based on that.

Do any of you have any experience or opinions on upgrading the whole shock assembly? I don’t know what options are popular or recommended, but I saw a positive posting about some z-broz racing shocks. That would obviously be a more expensive route, but maybe have a good possibility of being able to adjust to my “ideal” ride height and still tune for comfort and load capacity. Thoughts?

Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Agree, I am looking forward to a set of Elkas one day. I'm going to talk with them this summer at UTV Takeover and look at shock lengths. I'm also looking at the Super ATV 6in lift but using Elka shocks and no shock relocation brackets - not for a 6in lift, but more travel by matching the stock a-arm angles. It will end up being a lift but more a long travel kit. I talked to Super ATV and they will sell just he parts I need. They will be at UTV Takeover too so may be an expensive event. Or I may just line everything and say nah and keep on enjoying the hell out of our Crew 900.
    2014 Solar Red Crew 900
    RVS Stage 2 Tune
    HMF Titan QS
    S3 Springs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links