PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

2019 Ranger XP 1000 Go, or no go?

8K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Tcounty 
#1 ·
Is anybody running a 2019 Ranger XP 1000? Have you noticed any difference between it and the 2018? I know they upgraded the transaxle on the 19 to help mitigate the risk of exploding rear diff. I'm considering either upgrading from my 2018 to a 2019 OR :distrust: just purchasing a Can-Am Defender.

#2 ·
I don't imagine anything you can see or feel. But the new trans would be nice. Are you unhappy with what you've got?

#4 ·
Not unhappy. I’ve enjoyed it. I just want the upgraded transaxle. I’m in situations sometimes where one of the rear wheels could get in a bind, and I don’t like the idea that I have to worry about a quarter-size hole appearing in my rearend rather than a snapped axle.

#5 ·
I’ve enjoyed mine. Very few problems on fit and finish, but still have noticed some (I’m an Engineer and I’m OCD). I’ll never use all 82 horsepower, nor will most with that machine. Just exploring other possibilities. Probably will get another Ranger.

#6 ·
I get it. A bit OCD myself. But...had a tune in my 900. Hole shots galore with that machine. Sold it with 3500 miles on it. Got my current 1000 with tune. Not easy on this one either. General has the same trans with 100hp. Ive been on here for a long time and maybe a dozen or a few more failures out of thousands of members? I've heard that FB groups make it sound like its an epidemic? And it certainly does happen. But if I'm locked in 4wd before I get into a sticky situation, dont mash the gas with cool tractor tires half buried in mud, use my winch instead of my right foot when I finally get stuck, I dont much worry about it anymore. I know piece of mind can be priceless. But i figure IF it ever happens. I'll just drop a new upgraded version in the one i have. Wont cost me anymore than what id lose selling the one i have now. If it does let go, its probably because i was being stoopid to begin with.

#10 ·
My understanding is that all new Ranger 1000's have the new transaxle. The Back Country has a gear-driven reverse, whereas all others still have the chain.

#8 ·
No doubt the planetary gear set in the old transmission is a weak spot and that some have had trouble and holed cases. On the other hand, the number of people with problems probably is less than 1% of the total units sold. Much has to do with the driver, tall tires and lifts. Before I plunked down big bucks for a machine just becasue it had the new style transmission I'd take a look at my personal situation. If you are someone that must have tall tires, a high lift and the gas pedal is either at idle or on the floor most of the time it may be worth it. If not, well, I guess it then depends upon how deep your pockets are and what kind of luck you tend to have with other vehicles you own. Something else to consider is that the new transmission really hasn't had time in the real world to know whether it's better or not. It may have weaknesses of it's own that just haven't shown up yet. The old transmission has been around for a long time and has given good service for the vast majority of owners.

One option might be to continue using what you have while you see what kind of service the new transmission gives over time. If your transmission does break you can always install the new style transmission in your old unit, probably for a fraction of the cost of what a new machine less trade in will be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.