High lifter or BackCountry?
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on High lifter or BackCountry? within the Ranger XP 1000 Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; Iím looking for a new Ranger. It will be used on the farm and some minor trails. No mud other than crossing some creeks. Iíve ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Toxic-21
  • 1 Post By stainlessman

Thread: High lifter or BackCountry?

(Leisa) Starting Member mouse2146's Avatar
    Member #

Iím looking for a new Ranger. It will be used on the farm and some minor trails. No mud other than crossing some creeks. Iíve heard some bad things about the turf mode. I looked at a Backcountry and the highlighter because they already had snorkels winch and arched a arms. Things I would probably do anyway.

Iíve heard the backcountry had the same gear to gear transmission and no turf mode BUT the one backcountry that I looked at had a switch that had turf, 2 wheel and 4WD. So Iím confused.

I had old ranger and sold it for a Prowler HDX. I want to meet with back to Polaris.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2006 Polaris Ranger 700 XP work in progress. New to me.

(Willie) 1000+ Member stainlessman's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    1258 times
    To me it sounds like the back country model would be exactly what your looking for. No turf mode or reverse issues with the back country as the reverse chain is gone and replaced with a actual gear drive. From what I've read here. And I thought the Back Country came with arched A arms from the factory for more of a lift. And I use turf mode 99% of the time. Please don't be afraid of having turf mode and using it.
    2014 900 XP EPS.....28"Mongrels- forward 'A'arms- Rhino axels-MMA lift-Duraclutch-Viper winch-canvas doors-DragonFire doors-Elka stage2 shocks- Gilomen tune and other add'ons
    2014 800 LE EPS.....(engine under seat... ass cooker)

" I've Never Seen A Uhaul Behind A Hearse "....

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, its wanting everything you have"

Supporting Member
    (Greg) Super Moderator Toxic-21's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    2456 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse2146 View Post
    Iím looking for a new Ranger. It will be used on the farm and some minor trails. No mud other than crossing some creeks. Iíve heard some bad things about the turf mode. I looked at a Backcountry and the highlighter because they already had snorkels winch and arched a arms. Things I would probably do anyway.

Iíve heard the backcountry had the same gear to gear transmission and no turf mode BUT the one backcountry that I looked at had a switch that had turf, 2 wheel and 4WD. So Iím confused.

I had old ranger and sold it for a Prowler HDX. I want to meet with back to Polaris.

Suggestions?

The BC is the best Ranger Polaris has produced to date.

The BC DOES HAVE TURF MODE, and utilizes the new Automotive Bevel Gear Open Differential. It is a better design than the previous Avalanche Differential.
    Which is the one you have read the horror stories about.
    To date I have seen only 1 of the new Differentials fail, and it was on a heavily modded unit.

The BC also does not have a Reverse Chain, it is Gear Driven.

Suggestions? Purchase the BC and ride on.
    PRC Member #11880
    2013 Ranger 900 XP Bronze Mist LE
    2009 Ranger 700 XP Sage Green
    Toxic-21 Motorsports.

It Costs a lot of Money to look Cool!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

(Leisa) Starting Member mouse2146's Avatar
    Member #
    I wonder what the odds are for Polaris to make more changes in 2020. Anyone know when the Ď20 models will be revealed and on the dealers lots?

Iím not in a big hurry to purchase especially if a new model year will be released in 2-3 months.

2006 Polaris Ranger 700 XP work in progress. New to me.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I would go BC. The HighLifter is a whole different animal, different gears, different suspension, Mud tires The Back Country is like an XP1000 with Attitude!!
    2018 XP1000
    30" Bighorns
    14" ITP Wheels
    20" Lightbar
    Canvas Doors
    Rock Sliders
    Folding Windshield
    Camso Tracks

Member #
    I am in the same boat and considering both the High Lifter Crew and Back Country Crew. They are pretty much the same price at the dealership I went to. My only hold back is the High Lifter comes with doors. I would also probably change the High Lifter tires out. My local salesman said in his opinion the Back Country rides better than the High Lifter.

Member #
    Liked
    1258 times
    The high lifter is made for going deep and running over gators and mud and swamp (chut'em) riding and the back country is made for trail riding.
    I'm glad Polaris is at least addressing concerns and improving the weak links.
    I've never been to Oklahoma (where the wind goes sweeping down the plains) but I would think the Back Country would be a great choice.
    Last edited by stainlessman; 06-22-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    Stroke250 likes this.
    2014 900 XP EPS.....28"Mongrels- forward 'A'arms- Rhino axels-MMA lift-Duraclutch-Viper winch-canvas doors-DragonFire doors-Elka stage2 shocks- Gilomen tune and other add'ons

2017 Ranger 570 Mid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I have a midsize 570 but Iíve also had no issues with turf mode, and can go anywhere I want in turfmode. What kinds of issues am I supposed to have?
    2017 Ranger 570 Midsize, stock tires/wheels with a few accessories like bed rack, roof, windshields.

Member #
    Liked
    1258 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh406 View Post
    I have a midsize 570 but Iíve also had no issues with turf mode, and can go anywhere I want in turfmode. What kinds of issues am I supposed to have?
    Some folks think turf mode is a weak link, but in reality 99% of the time were all riding in turf mode with no issues. The reverse chain is the weak link I think. I treat my reverse gear(chain) like a newborn.

Member #
    Liked
    339 times
    I have a BC Crew and I love it except for the hard shifting due to the clutch which I just have not had time to dig into yet.
    Todd Eldridge, Owner of Hunterworks
    www.hunterworks.com
    [email protected]
    601-771-0070

Sponsored Links