Some questions about Ranger 1000 XP before purchase - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

Some questions about Ranger 1000 XP before purchase

This is a discussion on Some questions about Ranger 1000 XP before purchase within the Ranger XP 1000 Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; FYI: I got my scratch resistant 1/4 coated poly (MR-10) at : https://www.utvheadquarters.com/ 3 years ago, no problem, you can tow with it on no ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Some questions about Ranger 1000 XP before purchase

Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    FYI: I got my scratch resistant 1/4 coated poly (MR-10) at : https://www.utvheadquarters.com/
    3 years ago, no problem, you can tow with it on no problem, they'll guaranty it.
    You get what you pay for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2018 ranger 900 XP full size. from sky motorsports of Lake wales fl
    KOLPIN 6.0 gun boot+bed mount for the AR. from kolpin.com
    KOLPIN KXP Rhino Grip XL Double Set for Polaris Ranger Lock N Ride UTV 21517
    Multi-Vent front Shield W/HardCoat (77-9525) and rear(77-9600). from utvheadquarters.com
    heavy duty aluminum roof. from Marty at whomoto.com
    Hornet R-3024 Ranger Hi Lift UTV Jack and mount. from ebay
    20" LED green Light Bar/120 Watts/Waterproof. from TexStar Lighting 936-337-4333
    6" round white LED lights under bed. from ebay
    4500 lb KFI front winch. from ebay
    ITP MUDLIGHT XL tires ( 25 x 11-12; 489 on fronts and 25 x 12-12; 489 on rears) no rubbing from ebay
    POLARIS brush guard. from polaris

Member #
    Liked
    490 times
    It has the new turf mode but still has the reverse chain
    Parts fiche shows reverse gear on NorthStar and Mud and but still shows the chain on the standard. My guess is that could change at any time, and new models will be introduced on the 27th too so possibly all the 2020 1000's will have it.

Does the regular 1000 XP not have the upgraded transmission and turf mode? I though I read somewhere that it was upgraded to the actual reverse gear, instead of the chain and that the turf mode was improved?
    Last edited by rocknroll; 07-11-2019 at 04:58 PM.

19 Ranger XP1000 BC
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Haha glad I could give you a laugh Will24, I'd say you sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you need and are definitely making the right choice with Polaris. I believe some of the later model 2018s and all the 2019s 1000XP Rangers have the upgraded spider gears so you don't have to worry about them breaking like the planetary gears use to with the 1000s, I have 2200 miles on my 19 1000XP with 99% of that being in turf mode without a single issue. The geared reverse is currently only in the Backcountry and I believe the mud edition or whatever it is, from what I've seen with Polaris I'm assuming all their 1000 transmissions will soon be using geared reverse. In all honesty though 90% of the time when the reverse chain fails it's because of the person behind the wheel not the part itself. The reverse chain is engineered to have a little bit of slack in it and when you go from 2000 RPM in neutral then bomb it into reverse that little bit of slack pulls so hard it snaps the chain and marrs the gear, it's either that or launching it hard in reverse locked in 4x4 on pavement. I wouldn't worry a ton about having a chain versus a geared reverse, I like it in my Backcountry because it actually see's heavy off road use where I have had to rock it back and forth.
    Stroke250 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    Parts fiche shows reverse gear on NorthStar and Mud and but still shows the chain on the standard. My guess is that could change at any time, and new models will be introduced on the 27th too so possibly all the 2020 1000's will have it.
    I doubt I would do anything that would result in a failure, but I may check into the 2020 models to see if they made that change. I had just read that some people had trouble with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SVTguy1990 View Post
    Haha glad I could give you a laugh Will24, I'd say you sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you need and are definitely making the right choice with Polaris. I believe some of the later model 2018s and all the 2019s 1000XP Rangers have the upgraded spider gears so you don't have to worry about them breaking like the planetary gears use to with the 1000s, I have 2200 miles on my 19 1000XP with 99% of that being in turf mode without a single issue. The geared reverse is currently only in the Backcountry and I believe the mud edition or whatever it is, from what I've seen with Polaris I'm assuming all their 1000 transmissions will soon be using geared reverse. In all honesty though 90% of the time when the reverse chain fails it's because of the person behind the wheel not the part itself. The reverse chain is engineered to have a little bit of slack in it and when you go from 2000 RPM in neutral then bomb it into reverse that little bit of slack pulls so hard it snaps the chain and marrs the gear, it's either that or launching it hard in reverse locked in 4x4 on pavement. I wouldn't worry a ton about having a chain versus a geared reverse, I like it in my Backcountry because it actually see's heavy off road use where I have had to rock it back and forth.
    That's good to know about the turf mode. It would get used a lot around our house to keep from tearing up the grass and if I'm on pavement. I think I would be okay with the reverse chain, but if the 2020s have it, I might wait and get one of those. Of course, the rebates may go up on the 2019s after the new models are announced. Decisions, decisions.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    The best choice would be to get the best dealer support. Regardless of brand, if you're dealer isn't up to par, you're going to have a hard time. I have the 900xp and had the front diff replaced under the extended warranty just a year in. I would highly recommend getting the extended warranty. Polaris also seems to have issues with the clutch. If it was me, I would get a honda just from my past experiences with the brand in general. I chose polaris becuase around me I get the best support for it. https://www.polaris.com/en-us/recalls/

Even half doors will create a fair amount of heat in the cab if you're going the distance in the sun. In the woods at a slow pace and you'll be fine. Just last week, I drove 9 miles on the road going about 40 mph and unhooking the mesh door makes a difference in felt heat. My passenger commented about that. You can feel it from behind the seat. I added a hard poly front windshield and a roof. Indispensable in my opinion. Keep the sun and elements off your head and your face. Especially when its cold that wind really bites. I wouldn't get a rear windshield. I think it would impede airflow too much.

As far as dust. I wouldn't see that as a concern. You are riding in the great outdoors. You can easily hose the inside of the cab down to clean it up. I do it monthly and hand wipe some of the nooks and crannies if I have guests. It's going to happen unless you enclose the machine entirely. To me it's an unnecessary addition of weight. When I ride, I stay mostly in low for max torque and notice a difference in power when I ride in high with material in the bed or a passenger going up steep hills.

Overall I am pleased with the Polaris despite some issues. All brands will have issues. Dealer support is key. It is a fun machine. Now that I own one, I can't see NOT having one around. I'll even choose the Polaris over my Kubota tractor for utility work any day. Lightweight, maneuverable, and highly capable, it's a purchase I don't regret in the least. GL

Supporting Member
    (Greg) Super Moderator Toxic-21's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    2456 times
    NS still has a chain.

If you want a Gear Driven Reverse in your 18’ 1000 Standard Cab or 19’ 1000 Standard or Crew, send me a message.
    Last edited by Toxic-21; Yesterday at 07:32 AM.
    Stroke250 likes this.
    PRC Member #11880
    2013 Ranger 900 XP Bronze Mist LE
    2009 Ranger 700 XP Sage Green
    Toxic-21 Motorsports.

It Costs a lot of Money to look Cool!

Member #
    Liked
    490 times
    Toxic, what are these 'Factory Choice' vehicles like this one which shows to have the geared reverse? RANGER 1000 NSTR 49/50S FACTORY CHOICE (R05)
    Is this for future vehicle options or are they available now?

Supporting Member
    (Greg) Super Moderator Toxic-21's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    2456 times
    Toxic, what are these 'Factory Choice' vehicles like this one which shows to have the geared reverse? RANGER 1000 NSTR 49/50S FACTORY CHOICE (R05)
    Is this for future vehicle options or are they available now?
    Those are option packages that do exist, and are available to some degree.
    They are Pre Order unit upgrades ( Example: Tip out windshield replacing Fixed/ Power window doors replacing crank window doors)
    But the Model number associated with this has no substance, it is incomplete, and technically doesn’t exist at this time.
    Last edited by Toxic-21; Today at 08:05 AM.
    PRC Member #11880
    2013 Ranger 900 XP Bronze Mist LE
    2009 Ranger 700 XP Sage Green
    Toxic-21 Motorsports.

It Costs a lot of Money to look Cool!

(Lee) Starting Member ltoutdoors's Avatar
    2019 Ranger 1000XP
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hello Will24:

I have a 2019 Ranger 1000 XP Premium w/Roof & 1/2 Windshield. Dust is about normal, it does flow in from the back, but not too bad, but yes, it will dust the interior.

Heat is zero issue, they did a good job of insulating the rear seat area from the engine as well as fan blowback thru the dash. I have been pleased with the lack of heat and much quieter engine.

SxS I owned in the past were Polaris 400 Midsize, Kaw Mule ProFXT, Polaris 570 Full Size.

One you might look at is the Kaw Mule ProFXT, which converts from 3 pax to 6 pax, basically giving one a crew cab without the long length of normal 6 pax machines. The price is better than the 1000XP-Polaris is starting to get proud on their prices, especially when they only offer 1 year warranty vs. ProFxt 3 years. The Pro-FXT is quiet, smooth, however it is heavy, only has "3 wheel drive (i.e. front is slip differential)" and the one I owned had terrible heat blow back from the dash when the fan kicked on. It is lower to the ground and just struggled to offroad compared to all my earlier Ranger's-I have a spot that comes out of the river, pretty good incline and muddy. The Pro-FXT struggled to make it up that spot, the R400MS was a breeze, the R570FS easy and the XP1000 struggles a little (which I think is due to its weight).

I ran a secondary muffler on the R400MS and R570FS which helped quiet them down somewhat (R400MS was loud & hot, one sits over the engine), but on the XP1000, I tried a secondary muffler and it maybe lowered the sound 1-2 DB, so basically the XP1000 is much improved in quietness (not like the Prowler Pro though) compared to my previous Rangers.

I looked a buying a CAM-AM HD8 & HD10. Nice features, but when I drove them they were loud and also the mechanic told me to run it in Low gear below 25mph as they have seen problems with the belts-this was a non-starter for me. I also looked a ProwlerPro, extremely quiet but fit & finish is not impressive, suicide doors had the catch that will rack you knee cap plus it has a weird column shifter and it not AWD. Additionally, the OEM is going down hill fast.

We just got back from Colorado trail riding the XP1000 (I mainly use it for farm/ranch work & hunting) and here are my observations:
    -R400 Midsize & R570 Full Size felt more stable than XP1000. The XP1000 does feel more tipsy
    -XP1000 has plenty of power
    -XP1000 some what stiffer than R400MS, R570FS, Kaw Pro-FXT
    -XP1000 turn radius is excellent
    -XP1000 has a poor design for engine braking (one can buy a $20 aftermarket part to change the behavior). When going down hill, it will lock the rear wheel, causing one to skid. Solution is the aftermarket part or change driving technique.
    -XP1000 compared to a Crew Cab XP1000- no comparison. I would not own a crew cab (6 pax)-these are simply too long for the work and areas I travel.
    -When went 3 miles down a nasty mountain trail. Only reason I turned back was b/c we were alone and if I broke down, my brothers crew cab XP1000 would not have been able to reach us. The XP1000 had no issues on this nasty trail.

Overall like the XP1000, but a little less capable climbing and or mud as the R400MS and R570FS due to weight, its a little more tipsy, but turning, quietness, lack of heat is much improved. Would like to see Polaris start offering 3 year warranty in the base, as the competition is starting to bite at their heels, especially for the price they are asking.
    summermn and Plowman like this.
    2019 Ranger 1000XP
    SuperWinch Terra 45 w/synth rope
    Polaris 1/2 windshield
    32" Proarmor LED Light bar
    2" front receiver hitch
    Polaris Sport Roof
    Rock Lights
    2 LED side lights
    Reverse Light

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPA View Post
    The best choice would be to get the best dealer support. Regardless of brand, if you're dealer isn't up to par, you're going to have a hard time. I have the 900xp and had the front diff replaced under the extended warranty just a year in. I would highly recommend getting the extended warranty. Polaris also seems to have issues with the clutch. If it was me, I would get a honda just from my past experiences with the brand in general. I chose polaris becuase around me I get the best support for it. https://www.polaris.com/en-us/recalls/

Even half doors will create a fair amount of heat in the cab if you're going the distance in the sun. In the woods at a slow pace and you'll be fine. Just last week, I drove 9 miles on the road going about 40 mph and unhooking the mesh door makes a difference in felt heat. My passenger commented about that. You can feel it from behind the seat. I added a hard poly front windshield and a roof. Indispensable in my opinion. Keep the sun and elements off your head and your face. Especially when its cold that wind really bites. I wouldn't get a rear windshield. I think it would impede airflow too much.

As far as dust. I wouldn't see that as a concern. You are riding in the great outdoors. You can easily hose the inside of the cab down to clean it up. I do it monthly and hand wipe some of the nooks and crannies if I have guests. It's going to happen unless you enclose the machine entirely. To me it's an unnecessary addition of weight. When I ride, I stay mostly in low for max torque and notice a difference in power when I ride in high with material in the bed or a passenger going up steep hills.

Overall I am pleased with the Polaris despite some issues. All brands will have issues. Dealer support is key. It is a fun machine. Now that I own one, I can't see NOT having one around. I'll even choose the Polaris over my Kubota tractor for utility work any day. Lightweight, maneuverable, and highly capable, it's a purchase I don't regret in the least. GL
    Thanks for the reply! Dealer support would definitely be a great thing to have. Our local Honda dealer has pretty high prices, though they seem like a good group. Same goes for our Polaris dealer. I always try to buy local when I can, but when it comes to ATVs/UTVs, the local prices always seem to be much higher. I always feel like I'm in a difficult position when buying something like this. Do I save $2-3K by travelling to a different dealer or just bite the bullet and buy local? That seems to be the question I'm always left with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links