Some questions about Ranger 1000 XP before purchase
Close
Login to Your Account
PRC Polaris Ranger Club - Powered by vBulletin

This is a discussion on Some questions about Ranger 1000 XP before purchase within the Ranger XP 1000 Discussions forums, part of the Polaris Ranger Forums category; My wife and I are currently looking at a getting a new side by side for us to ride trails and also be able to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Some questions about Ranger 1000 XP before purchase

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

My wife and I are currently looking at a getting a new side by side for us to ride trails and also be able to bring along our dog. The three seat models seem to be the best compromise. We've been looking at the Can Am Defender HD10 DPS, Polaris Ranger 1000 XP Premium, and the Honda Pioneer 1000-3 EPS. They all seem like they would make for good trail machines, even though they are considered utility vehicles. We've pretty much eliminated the Can Am. The seats weren't as comfortable as the Honda or Polaris and we just didn't get excited about it. We like the Honda, but there are some known heat issues that worry me. The Polaris is our current favorite. It was really smooth, seats were super comfortable, and it seemed like a quality machine. I've been pricing them at a few dealers, but I'm still trying to research as much as possible before making a decision.

How bad is the dust? I know dust is a part of riding, but some machines are worse than others. We are looking at getting a roof, half windshield, and the half doors. This seems like a decent setup, but I would like to hear from others as to their experience.

How about heat? The Honda worries me because I've read other forums and heard stories of people getting steamed pretty good when hitting some water and other burning their hands on the bar behind the seats. With the rear mounted engine, the Polaris doesn't seem to be as bad in that regard. I posted that question on Rangerforums.net and the response was that heat wasn't much of an issue. Anybody have any other experiences or any tips to reduce heat?

How are these out on the trail? It's a little wider than I would like, but I figured that allowed for better suspension and plenty of space for Boomer (our dog) in the middle seat. Do you all find these to be good vehicles for all day trail rides? It'll also be used for some work around our house, but I know it's more than capable in that regard.

Feel free to include any additional info that you think I should know. Thanks in advance for the help!

2018 XP 1000
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I would include a rear windshield. Without it I would think that it would suck dust in even with only a half front. Just my opinion.
    Will24 likes this.

RJ
    Member #
    Liked
    326 times
    The dust kicks up from the front tires and sucks in around your legs. Half doors really cut down on the dust!

Heat has never been an issue....we ride on 80+ degree days. It will be a little warmer in the cab. But not like...OMG I cant stand it. If it were fully enclosed it probably would get bad.

I don't know what kind of dog you have. But i made rails for the side of the bed and our shepherd loves riding back there. We call her the branch manager. She has to shred any branch within her reach.
    Will24 likes this.
    2018 1000 XP Titanium Matte Metallic
    Lock n ride glass windshield and roof
    MMA lift
    27-11-14 Tusk Trilobites
    G5 tune

Past rides
    2004 Ranger. 2x4 with trusty 425
    Built like a tank and still running strong.

2012 800 XP LE
    Wire chaffing fuel pump eater but never left me stranded!

2016 900 XP Titanium Matte Metallic

4. Remove Advertisements
    PRCForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    I found a way to wedge the front shield between the hood and the brush guard.
    I ride without front/rear windows up until I'm in an area where I have to sit in the rain for a few minutes, dogs don't care for dust, dust = reason to ride without the yapping from the right.
    A little dust and water didn't kill anybody yet.
    If you enlarge the picture you'll notice how I wedged the full front vented shield under the LED.
    Front shield and doors will also bring some heat into the cab from under the seats.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Will24 likes this.
    2018 ranger 900 XP full size. from sky motorsports of Lake wales fl
    KOLPIN 6.0 gun boot+bed mount for the AR. from kolpin.com
    KOLPIN KXP Rhino Grip XL Double Set for Polaris Ranger Lock N Ride UTV 21517
    Multi-Vent front Shield W/HardCoat (77-9525) and rear(77-9600). from utvheadquarters.com
    heavy duty aluminum roof. from Marty at whomoto.com
    Hornet R-3024 Ranger Hi Lift UTV Jack and mount. from ebay
    20" LED green Light Bar/120 Watts/Waterproof. from TexStar Lighting 936-337-4333
    6" round white LED lights under bed. from ebay
    4500 lb KFI front winch. from ebay
    ITP MUDLIGHT XL tires ( 25 x 11-12; 489 on fronts and 25 x 12-12; 489 on rears) no rubbing from ebay
    POLARIS brush guard. from polaris

19 Ranger XP1000 BC
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I own a 19 Ranger 1000 XP BackCountry so I am quite bias but here's my best advice. I was a service manager/warranty administrator at a powersports dealer for awhile and a close friend owns a large dealership so I have the awesome advantage of being able to borrow vehicles, Can Am makes a great SxS but they are expensive to fix and not as user friendly as Polaris they are also quite expensive for what you're getting. Honda Pioneer 1000s are the recall champions lately which is expected since they have only been around since 2016. I have put hundreds of miles on a Pioneer I'll start off by saying from what I've experienced they are a good machine and if all you are doing is cruising around or plowing they will be fine. Now my true opinion, for what a Pioneer cost they blow. They use a round tube chassis so none of the accessories fit very well and they let tons of dust and water in, the accessories are expensive and feel cheaply made, Honda's warranty leaves a lot to be desired compared to Polaris or Can Am, the transmission came from an African Twin road bike and you can tell it wasn't designed for off road use the transmission is very jerky even with the clutch upgrade and if something fails in the trans its extremely expensive to fix. The cab even with the cab comfort kit gets quite warm and still rattles like you're entering earth's atmosphere in a Geo Metro. The biggest complaints I heard from Pioneer owners was the cab accessories were worthless, it rattled constantly and the shifting is extremely harsh. I'm sure I'll hurt some Honda boys feelings with this but the honest truth is Honda isn't what it use to be and is not worth the money they want for them. I'd go with a Polaris Ranger 1000 they are a solid machine or take another look at a Can Am Defender HD10 XTP with the Fox shocks they have 40% more cushin in the seats are far more comfortable.
    Stroke250 and Will24 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    490 times
    SVTguy, you made an excellent choice with the Backcountry. The new heavy duty Turf Mode and geared reverse and arched A arms and snorkeled intakes are the best setup in the Range lineup in my opinion but I would rather have a color instead of the camo.
    I also have the same opinion as you on the Pioneer, and the Defender just doesn't suit me the way a Ranger does plus it still has that Visco noLock front differential.

Will24, Rangers are very comfortable and ride very smooth and are good for all day on the trail at the speeds I ride in my 900XP. I assume you will be traveling at about the same pace since your wife and dog will be with you.
    Will24 likes this.

19 Ranger XP1000 BC
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    rocknroll, I have owned several SxS and I have to say the Backcountry is my favorite utility SxS I've ever owned. I am hoping that Polaris is using it as a test for their new transmission and they start producing all 1000XP's with the geared reverse and heavy duty turf mode, I also hope they integrate the fully water sealed electronic components in more vehicles as well. I also own a regular 1000XP and I will say it is also an amazing machine Polaris did a really good job with the new Ranger 1000XP. The 900XP is a fabulous vehicle with a reliable proven driveline you can not go wrong with either of them.

To Will24, you can't go wrong with Polaris if you are looking for a smooth ride with good power get a 19 and up Ranger 1000XP. As far as semi sealing the dirt out one of the big factors is if you are riding alone or in a group, in a group a half windshield is pretty useless get a fold down one instead that way you have the option to open it or close it. A roof is a must have and I would recommend getting a rear panel as well, half doors work well but dirt will still come in especially if you're riding in a group. My BC has full doors and my XP has half doors with a windshield, roof and rear panel if its just me cruising down the road or on my property they work well at keeping the dust out but the second I'm following behind someone its game over, dirt just rolls right in over the top but its still better than the crappy nets they come with. My BC has a full enclosure it seals out the dust great but in the summer it gets miserable inside, I take the full doors off in the summer. It all depends on what you plan to do with it and if your trail riding with others or just leisure cruising.
    Will24 likes this.

(Kevin) Veteran Member Happy Prospector's Avatar
    Quartzsite, AZ. in the Great American SW Desert
    2019 RangerNorthstar
    Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    I don't seem to have a problem with dust or heat in my 2019 Ranger, even with full doors here in the mountain and desert trails around Quartzsite, Arizona even in the summer, if it gets to warm in the cab I just turn the AC down to cold in my Northstar.
    wgarcar1, Stroke250 and Will24 like this.
    2019 Ranger Crew Cab, Northstar HVAC
    Quartzsite, Arizona in the Great American Southwest

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for all of the replies! I'm really glad to hear that the Ranger doesn't suffer from heat issues in the cab. It sounds like the half doors would be a good idea and I like the way they look anyway. Hopefully it help keep some of the dust out. Most of our riding it will just be us, so we won't have to worry too much about dust from other vehicles. We do ride with others on occasion, but we are often the group leader for those, so I think we will be okay in that regard. I also want to eventually get a full ventilated windshield and rear panel for winter.

Has anyone added the cab seal kit from Polaris to a non-enclosed Ranger? I used to have a RZR 570 and I added a dust kit to stop dust from coming up from under the seats and it actually helped a good bit. The cab seal kit is similar to that, so I wondered if it might be a good investment.

I'm still looking at accessories and things like that and I really like that there's so much aftermarket support for Polaris vehicles. You have so many awesome options for everything you might want to do to it. Kind of reminds me of my Tacoma.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SVTguy1990 View Post
    I own a 19 Ranger 1000 XP BackCountry so I am quite bias but here's my best advice. I was a service manager/warranty administrator at a powersports dealer for awhile and a close friend owns a large dealership so I have the awesome advantage of being able to borrow vehicles, Can Am makes a great SxS but they are expensive to fix and not as user friendly as Polaris they are also quite expensive for what you're getting. Honda Pioneer 1000s are the recall champions lately which is expected since they have only been around since 2016. I have put hundreds of miles on a Pioneer I'll start off by saying from what I've experienced they are a good machine and if all you are doing is cruising around or plowing they will be fine. Now my true opinion, for what a Pioneer cost they blow. They use a round tube chassis so none of the accessories fit very well and they let tons of dust and water in, the accessories are expensive and feel cheaply made, Honda's warranty leaves a lot to be desired compared to Polaris or Can Am, the transmission came from an African Twin road bike and you can tell it wasn't designed for off road use the transmission is very jerky even with the clutch upgrade and if something fails in the trans its extremely expensive to fix. The cab even with the cab comfort kit gets quite warm and still rattles like you're entering earth's atmosphere in a Geo Metro. The biggest complaints I heard from Pioneer owners was the cab accessories were worthless, it rattled constantly and the shifting is extremely harsh. I'm sure I'll hurt some Honda boys feelings with this but the honest truth is Honda isn't what it use to be and is not worth the money they want for them. I'd go with a Polaris Ranger 1000 they are a solid machine or take another look at a Can Am Defender HD10 XTP with the Fox shocks they have 40% more cushin in the seats are far more comfortable.
    Yeah, Polaris definitely has better accessories and way more aftermarket support. I'm a fan of Honda and I have a 2015 Rubicon DCT that I love, but it does shift pretty harshly until it's completely warmed up and even then it's not always smooth. I think Polaris makes good vehicles and they'll hold up well as long you keep up with maintenance, like any machine. I sold our 2014 RZR 570 LE to my parents and it's still going strong. It's been well maintained and it's had no issues. We were really impressed with the Ranger 1000 XP and it seems like it might be a better fit for us. There was just something about the Can Am that just didn't feel right. I can't really describe it. We sat in it and looked everything over, but I never felt 100% comfortable. It wasn't bad by any means, the Ranger just felt more natural and I felt like I could sit there longer.

Also, the bold sentence in the quote above, almost killed me lol. I about choked on my drink with I read that. I've read about the rattles, but that's definitely the most creative description of it that I've heard lol. Thanks for the laugh and reminding me that there used to be Geo Metros on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by SVTguy1990 View Post
    rocknroll, I have owned several SxS and I have to say the Backcountry is my favorite utility SxS I've ever owned. I am hoping that Polaris is using it as a test for their new transmission and they start producing all 1000XP's with the geared reverse and heavy duty turf mode, I also hope they integrate the fully water sealed electronic components in more vehicles as well. I also own a regular 1000XP and I will say it is also an amazing machine Polaris did a really good job with the new Ranger 1000XP. The 900XP is a fabulous vehicle with a reliable proven driveline you can not go wrong with either of them.

To Will24, you can't go wrong with Polaris if you are looking for a smooth ride with good power get a 19 and up Ranger 1000XP. As far as semi sealing the dirt out one of the big factors is if you are riding alone or in a group, in a group a half windshield is pretty useless get a fold down one instead that way you have the option to open it or close it. A roof is a must have and I would recommend getting a rear panel as well, half doors work well but dirt will still come in especially if you're riding in a group. My BC has full doors and my XP has half doors with a windshield, roof and rear panel if its just me cruising down the road or on my property they work well at keeping the dust out but the second I'm following behind someone its game over, dirt just rolls right in over the top but its still better than the crappy nets they come with. My BC has a full enclosure it seals out the dust great but in the summer it gets miserable inside, I take the full doors off in the summer. It all depends on what you plan to do with it and if your trail riding with others or just leisure cruising.
    Does the regular 1000 XP not have the upgraded transmission and turf mode? I though I read somewhere that it was upgraded to the actual reverse gear, instead of the chain and that the turf mode was improved?
    RJ likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links